SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Not another "What's the best blue water boat" thread (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/37233-not-another-whats-best-blue-water-boat-thread.html)

CapnHand 09-28-2007 05:04 PM

Not another "What's the best blue water boat" thread

If you ever want to crunch the numbers on just about any boat or compare different boats (mine is missing, no surprise) there's a link here where some guy has put together a data base on about 1300 different models.

He's also got data plots and macros to (attempt to) model what the ideal off shore boat would be, based on the designs of those which have made 1000's of ocean crossings.

So, does it work? Can this be used to pick out the ideal off shore design or to decide between a number of available boats? Can the decision be reduced to a number on a spreadsheet? Does this take all (or some of) the fun out of it?

Can this be used to answer those type of posts that seem to come up every other week or so?

Think about it. I'm going back to the "Seeking Happiness" thread to see what TB and Hog have been up to.

TSteele65 09-28-2007 05:15 PM

Bastage. I know I can buy an unsurveyed McGregor 26X in Mexico and sail it in the TransPac with no problem, and anyone who says differently is just trying to crush my dreams.

;)

CapnHand 09-28-2007 05:22 PM

The numbers say that it will roll over in a heavy dew. YMMV.

arbarnhart 09-28-2007 05:27 PM

Hmm; the TransPac sounds like a good time. Which ramp is closest to the start? :D

JomsViking 09-28-2007 05:45 PM

Does it work?

Haven't looked at the spreadsheet - yet - but I doubt it. I could probably (maybe) create a similar spreadsheet with a list of totally unsuitable boats that has made successfull ocean crossings and hence the output will evaluate the MacGregor as the perfect Blue Water boat. There's so many variables involved, that it is next to impossible to collect enough data to be statistically significant. We still struggle with understanding exactly how boats react - Velocity Prediction Programs using sophisticated algorithms, and running on extremely powerful hardware still do not provide the EXACT number for a particular design. So there's still a lot to learn. I believe that is true for desirable characteristics for a bluewater boat too. However I also strongly believe in listening to advice from people such as Hal Roth and other "old salts"? (Including all the grumpy people here on sailnet :D )

jr438234606 09-28-2007 05:55 PM

Spreadsheets don't make friendly user interfaces for database mining.

RickLaPaz 09-28-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteele65 (Post 199415)
Bastage. I know I can buy an unsurveyed McGregor 26X in Mexico and sail it in the TransPac with no problem, and anyone who says differently is just trying to crush my dreams.

;)

Mr. Mighetto? Is that you?..............:cool:

JomsViking 09-28-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr438234606 (Post 199427)
Spreadsheets don't make friendly user interfaces for database mining.

Totally agree! My point however was re. the quality of data and the knowledge (or lack hereof) that we have about desirable boat characteristics.

CapnHand 09-28-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JomsViking (Post 199424)
Haven't looked at the spreadsheet - yet - but I doubt it.

Why would anyone consider the opinion of a person who hasn't taken the time to look at the information?
Quote:

Originally Posted by JomsViking (Post 199424)
I could probably (maybe) create a similar spreadsheet with a list of totally unsuitable boats that has made successfull ocean crossings and hence the output will evaluate the MacGregor as the perfect Blue Water boat.

He hasn't done that. That would be a waste of time (like your post was). He's used designs from "Carl Alberg, John Alden, Bill Crealock, Ted Brewer, Lyle Hess, Ted Hood, Al Mason, Chuck Paine, Robert Perry, and several Europeans" to try to get a meaningful model, not a useless one.

cardiacpaul 09-28-2007 06:15 PM

the only thing I found missing in this whole scenario?

The skill and experience of the nut behind the wheel.