Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007

awindj is on a distinguished road
Bavaria 30 Offshore rated and twin keel

I visited a Bavaria dealer yesterday to look at a Bavaria 30. I really like the boat and probably more importantly, my wife liked it.

A couple of questions.

I asked the dealer to compare it to the Hunter, Catalina and Beneteau boats. He stated that the big difference is that they are offshore rated. I didn't find anything in the literature that mentioned that. Is this real? The boat did seem to be more ruggedly constructed (bigger cleats and such).

The keel is described as "high-tech keel with twin foils connected by an iron bulb". I can't describe it but there is a picture here:

cruisingworld.com/boats-and-gear/boat-reviews-and-previews/bavaria-30-cruiser-photo-gallery-48019.html

Is there any data or opinions on how good this is?

Overall, this seemed to be a well thought out boat. It had a saildrive which sounds good to me. It looks like it will have a premium of $10 to $15K over a similar Hunter. Is that worth it?

How does this sail compared to other similar boats?

Thanks for any feedback. Right now I am only looking. Can't convince myself to buy something while I am living in the middle of Iowa with a long drive to a decent sailing ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
That is pure BS. A Bavaria 30 is an inshore production cruiser built lightly and not intended for offshore passagemaking. The "offshore rating" is a meaningless Euro standard that every 30 ft. boat I know of would qualify for.Most would say the build quality of Bavarias is at best no better than the other major production brands.
You don't say where you plan to sail this boat but I assume fresh water lakes or Great Lakes based on your location and if you like the boat it will be fine in those conditions. I am not a fan of iron keels since any water ingress will allow deterioration. The TWIN foil bulb keel is an option on this boat and if you don't need the shoal draft, I'd suggest sticking with the standard keel. The boat sails well. I am not a fan of saildrives for cruising...(see the tartan problems thread...but if you want to race they make some sense.
I would also suggest you visit your Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau dealers and look at their similar boats and ask those dealers how their boat compares to a Bavaria and you might learn more about the boat than by asking a Bavaria dealer.
Old 09-30-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I gather that you donít like the boat Cam. I havenít sailed on a boat that had that type of keel but my first thought is that the second fin must operate in the turbulence from the first fin. But itís just my first thought and thatís been proven to be wrong in the past. Cam is right and the boat doesnít look to be an offshore capable boat and given what I have seen from that builder she may not be a reasonable candidate for upgrading for true offshore work. But again thatís an impression from looking at other small boats from Bavaria and I have not looked at this model.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

PS. Cam, how did it end up with the Catalina thinking about going from Cape Cod to NC. I lost track of that thread.
Old 09-30-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
The only Bavarias I've seen was at the Toronto boat show. I remember it being aesthetically appealing. Small winches though, small hardware in general. As I understand the reason for the twin foils is that most of the lift from the keel is generated by the leading edge, so with 2 leading edges, you get more lift with the same or less drag. Seems like more of a gimmick than anything.

Offshore capable? Seems kind of beamy for that.

Poor salesmen spout features when talking about their product, the good ones will discuss benefits. Your wife likes it, that's a benefit. What do twin foils and an offshore rating mean for you?

Last edited by CapnHand; 09-30-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Robert...he never bought the boat. Now he is looking at moving to Long Island and buying a Mac26...wants opinions on that!!

I think the B's are fine for doing the sailing most people do and they tend to be fairly quick boats but I am not a fan as my boat was fitted out in a yard that did the delivery prep on Bavarias and I got to be friendly with the yard workers...nuff said.
Still..boating at this level is about price and accommodations and having fun for most... so I think they compete by offering a good price and a bit different style which is appealing to some. What does rankle me is dealers lying to sell boats and since most do it...I alway ask the competition what they think since they always know the points on which their own boats are superior!
Old 09-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dealers tend to overstate the boats real capabilities. The 30' boats from the major manufacturers: Beneteau, Catalina, Jenneau, Hunter, Bavaria; are not bluewater boats. Also remember that Bavaria had a small problem with the keels falling off of a couple of models of boats, and had a couple fatailities associated with that problem not too long ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-30-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Sailing Dog said: "Also remember that Bavaria had a small problem with the keels falling off of a couple of models of boats, and had a couple fatailities associated with that problem not too long ago."

That must be why they're using two keels on this model - redundancy!
Old 09-30-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I am not a fan of Bavaria but just to be fair the problem was with one model and a fix was made available. That model by the way wasnít sold in the US and was just intended for the European market.

If you want to build with a minimum factor of safety you will have problems and almost every builder who pushes the limits has had trouble at one time or another. This sort of thing is another reason to avoid ultra light construction in my opinion. But thatís just my opinion.

You as the customer need to do some homework and decide how far you want to push it. One indication of how much structure there really is in a boat is the ballast displacement ratio. The more boat compared to ballast the stronger the boat is as a very general rule.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 09-30-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Why pay the premium on the dollar to euro exchange for this kind of boat? Why buy new? If it was me, looking to purchase this catagory of boat new, I'd look at the catalina and beneteau.
Old 10-01-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
European offshore catagory A rating, from what I can tell, is the ability to handle 7M waves and a beaufort force 10 wind.

Not sure if said boat will or will not handle a 7M or about 25' waves or not. Along with not remembering what a force 10 wind is, Hurracane or just before is what I am seeming to recall. The only book I have with that info is an OLD royce book, at the boat of all places.

I also am recalling something about having a space for a liferaft in the cockpit area.

So if said boat, will meet this criteria, it is ocean rated! The C30 is not last I checked, but that is not saying much. Catagory B, if I am reading /heard specs correctly, is what most of us will do, sail in great lakes, puget sound or other semi protected water.

Some of what I have typed, maybe misread or otherwise by me, but I do feel it is close, or circling the target etc.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.