Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007

Ishmael is on a distinguished road
Survey Results - Pursue or Run Away?

We have the results of our survey of a 1975 Pearson P39 and would like to solicit opinions. Here are the main deficiencies of concern ( read $$).

1. Stuffing Box dripless seal leaking at static rest or during operation
2. One seacock appearing intact though leaking when operated
3. Three bladed 15X19 LH bronze prop destroyed by electrolysis
4. Cutless bearing needs replacement
5. Cast bronze single beam strut needs replacing due to electrolysis and exhibits weepage at the hull/strut bond - hydrolysis appears to extend at least into the fairing material
6. Fiberglas blisters for 1/8 to 2/1/2 inches over a significant portion of wetted surface area
7. Mast step corroded and needs replacement

The vessel is in generally good toaverage condition with a number of good fixes including electrical and backing plates on all deck hardward updated. Blisters not structural issue ( for now) and not delamination noted in deck or hull.

Your thoughts? run away?

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that most of this stuff is fodder for strenuous negotiations.....

Items 1,2, and 4 do not seem to be deal-breakers, I've done those very same jobs on two of my three motorboats. (wood, though)

#3 makes me wonder about the condition of the shaft................

5,6,and 7, I cannot speak to.
Old 10-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
How did the bronze through-hulls appear to the surveyor, since one seacock had a leak? I would suspect if electrolysis (or galvanic corrosion) was serious enough to "destroy" the bronze prop, strut and cutlass bearing, all underwater metals (noble or otherwise) are also cooked.

If gelcoat blisters are up to 2-1/2" in size - that sure signals potential damage to the underlying fiberglass and can only worsen in time. Hull needs to be ground or peeled with a proper drying out, followed by fairing, and a barrier coat. For a 39 ft boat professionally done, expect at least 8-10k to repair - more than likely higher.

Repacking the stuffing box is no big deal, but a corroded mast step (assuming keel-stepped) could be laborous and expensive if the alum. mastbase is also corroded.

If you really like the boat, prepare a reasonable figure to rectify the surveyor's deficient items and deduct this amount from what you would normally offer for this boat - in otherwise good condition.
Old 10-02-2007

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I would assume the shaft is bad also, can't imagine a scenario where the strut and prop are bad and shaft is OK. Unseen could be electrolysis damage in the engine water passages also.

Blisters in the 2 1/2 range are major, depending where you live this could cost $15k to repair and you have no real assurance the problem won't return.

Either you buy this boat real cheap and do most of the work yourself, or run the other direction. Neglected boats have other problems that a surveyor may not find. It kind of sounds like this was a neglected boat that someone tried to fix up and then discovered they were in over their head.

There are lots of boats for sale, some of them in really nice condition at a good value.
Old 10-02-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Even if that's the boat you want, unless the deal is a really good one financially, you can probably find another model in need of less work.

That's a fair amount of work, so you need to get an appropriate price adjustment. The strut replacement won't be cheap and needs to be done right. 2 1/2 inch blisters, if not just in the paint, constitute pretty advanced osmosis.

Try looking for a prettier sister.
Old 10-02-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Gene makes a really good point.

Also, you never said what they are asking for the boat, that certainly comes into play.

One thing about hidden electrolysis damage. I had two boats that lost oil-pans from this, and THAT is a messy and potentially $$$$$$ problem if you find out about it the wrong way! (Oils spills from bilge pumps are a BAD thing!! )

I'm leaning more on the run-away side as this conversation goes on......

Remember you have to love the boat you buy, but you don't have to buy the boat you love .......................
Old 10-02-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
A major case of a prodject boat... How much time do you have on your hands??
Old 10-02-2007

Ishmael is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. I hadn't thought about the potential for engine issues from electrolysis but now that you have mentioned it I can see that it is significant. The blisters are concerning and I have read a lot about that recently with the larger ones and the number being a concern. I had expected a few since it is that vintage but there are many and several large. Too bad though - above the waterline she had been fully rewired to ABYC and upgrades were apparent. It was below the water where things got ugly.

Just fyi, prior to the survey we were discussing $35K. I had anticipated no more than a few $K in refit issues. The mast step is common to this vintage Pearson and I had an estimate of $1500 for fix and retune the standing rigging. I had also anticipated a bottom job but had thought that only a few small blisters and repainting. There were a few refit issues with other, minor things - but the large blisters and electrolysis were a suprise.
Old 10-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Run Away - run away . . .
Old 10-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second running... the hull blisters are bad enough by themselves... but add in the other issues, including possible need to replace all the underwater metal... since it is very likely that all the through hulls and the prop shaft may be damaged from electrolysis as well. Also, the electrolysis may be indicative of an electrical problem on the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.