Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007

hazmat17 is on a distinguished road
family friendly(er) sportboat options?

Wife has mentioned that a smaller boat is more attractive to her. I figure if I can't sleep on it, it might as well go fast. So looking for recommendations. I realize this is more of a "cruising" site, but I don't care for the immature attitude at sailing anarchy - ie "if your wife won't pee off the stern, dump her, real sailors don't need a head".

Requirements:

Keelboat
Can sail singlehanded
Head/portapottie
Fast (planing hull)
Prefer used boat
Trailerable (<4,500#)
Ramp launchable added bonus (vs. crane/sling)
Prefer a "popular" model for resale purposes.

Budget used <$30K and new <$50K out the door.

So far the ultimate 24 seems like the best fit, but don't see many used ones around and new price >$50K

Anybody got any experience with them or the Melges 24?

Any small cats or tris with a head?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Do a yachtworld search and filter to your budget and "race boats" only, see what comes up.
Edit: tried it myself and came up with 24 boats in the northeast area.. but most were fixed keel boats not easily ramp launched. There are some sport boats with lift keels like the SR that can be trailered, and other newer ones too, but your budget may not include many of those.

Last edited by Faster; 10-04-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Try the Telstar 28 at www.mypci.net - you would have to go used to meet your budget but good, fast boat and you can do a weekend in reasonable comfort.
Me, I'm a Gemini guy
Old 10-04-2007

jboatjack is on a distinguished road
Think breeze, if it doesn't blow you won't want to go out. A number of fast boats are also boats that are a lot to handle in a breeze over 15 knots. I have raced Melges and they are a handful for 2 in a fresh breeze, especially whhen you fly the A-sail. Most class (fast) boats have web pages with listings of local clubs. Why not see if some boats are in your area and go down to the club and crew on a boat that interests you.
Old 10-04-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hazmat17,

My brothers and I raced our Melges 24 for about five years on the Chesapeake, and took it on the road for several Figawi (Hyannis- Nantucket during May) races as well. Despite the name "sport boat", they are purpose built race boats. They have a well-organized one-design fleet, and it is pretty darn cool to be able to sail 15-20 knots downwind in a 24 footer.

But, and I am tring to think of a way to say this as emphatically as possible, THE MELGES 24 IS NOT A FAMILY-FRIENDLY BOAT!!!!!!!! Unless your family likes holding on for dear life, getting their brains beat out on the upwind legs in heavy air, sometimes broaching uncontrollably in heavy air downwind legs, not being able to relieve themselves (even overboard), and generally being wet and miserable on all but the fairest days. Do you get the idea?

I'm not sure I could recommend any of the sport boats as "family-friendly". If your family only includes a spouse, then you have some wiggle room. But if you are talking about young kids too, then sport boats are not the way to go.

In my case, we went from one 24 sprit boat to another: The Melges 24 to the Dana 24. I would choose the Dana any day over the Melges, especially if family sailing is in the cards. You can get one within your stated budget, and your wife will be much happier with sailing in general because she will be COMFORTABLE. Don't underestimate the importance of this if you want this sailing thing to work out.
Old 10-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboatjack View Post
Think breeze, if it doesn't blow you won't want to go out. A number of fast boats are also boats that are a lot to handle in a breeze over 15 knots. I have raced Melges and they are a handful for 2 in a fresh breeze, especially whhen you fly the A-sail. Most class (fast) boats have web pages with listings of local clubs. Why not see if some boats are in your area and go down to the club and crew on a boat that interests you.
good plan to "try before I buy" - what I'm having trouble with is coming up with the list of candidates, so that I can track down the local fleet.
Old 10-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
... In my case, we went from one 24 sprit boat to another: The Melges 24 to the Dana 24. I would choose the Dana any day over the Melges, especially if family sailing is in the cards. You can get one within your stated budget, and your wife will be much happier with sailing in general because she will be COMFORTABLE. Don't underestimate the importance of this if you want this sailing thing to work out.
I googled the Dana, she sure is purty. Looks like a great pocket cruiser. I really like the idea of the inboard yanmar.

I've been to a few Figawi's myself (on parent's Freedom 38 named Duet). Haven't been in 3 years, wife was pregnant, decided it was getting too expensive. We usually spend mem day in Oak Bluffs now - it is practically empty as Figawi is the place to be.
Old 10-04-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Yes, Figawi is a great race (for anyone unfamiliar, it is a "pre-corrected" race meaning every boat has a different start time based on its rating so the order you finish is the order you place).

However, I would not want anybody reading this to think I recommend doing the Figawi in a Melges 24 -- too risky with the cold water etc. Once we started having kids I decided my reckless days were over. The last time I did it in the Melges was when my wife was pregnant with our first....
Old 10-04-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
http://shark24.org/
Old 10-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While the Telstar is a great boat, I seriously doubt that one can be found, even used, for somewhere within his budget. Also, the weight is probably more than he can tow. The boat and trailer come in around 5600 lbs. fully equipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Try the Telstar 28 at www.mypci.net - you would have to go used to meet your budget but good, fast boat and you can do a weekend in reasonable comfort.
Me, I'm a Gemini guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.