Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2002

MArch is on a distinguished road
Buying Canadian

I am interested in buying a 36''ish boat to liveaboard while in school and cruise during the summers. I am an American, but I just got into graduate school in British Columbia. Does anyone know what issues I will have bringing a newly-purchased, American-registered boat into Canada for an extended period of time? Is it possible to purchase a Canadian boat and then eventually move it to the US or will the duties kill me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Buying Canadian

I haven''t looked at this since NAFTA, but it used to be far more expensive to import a boat into Canada from the US than to import a boat from Canada to the States. At least before NFTA the Canadians clearly were protectionist toward their boat building industry.

The only concern that I would have is that it may be too clod to live aboard year round in BC. I don''t know that much about the climate up there so someone else will need to chime in on that but in many areas of the upper latitudes, the harbors freeze in winter making living aboard very difficult if not imposible.

(BTW Guessing from your nom d'' net, are you studying to be a fellow practitioner of the'' black art of architecture''? My ''day job'' is running my architectural firm. If there''s anything about the field that you want to kick around feel free to email me.)

Regards
Jeff
Old 04-02-2002

nhblwfnm is on a distinguished road
Buying Canadian

Yup, plus when the harbors freeze, the polar bears can walk right onto your boat. Of course you could build an igloo to get you through the winter months. Just ask one of the local eskimos how to do it.

Sorry to needle you Jeff, but you really need to brush up on your geography. I grew up in Vancouver, and the winters are a hell of a lot warmer than the winters here in New York.
Old 04-02-2002

Valdare is on a distinguished road
Buying Canadian

MArch,

MArch,

Go to the Morgan List here on sailnet and ad a post to Charles Cohen. He hangs out there. He lives in Vancouver, BC and has answered questions such as you have asked in the past. He is very knowledgeable about the area, marinas, customs and bringing boats both ways. He is also very articulate and eager to help out.
Good Luck,

John_/)_/)_/)

Old 04-02-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Buying Canadian

I am glad you explained that to me. I was worried about having to wear my ploar bear resistant suit if I had to go sailing out there. 8^) I had always heard that the climate in Vancover could be similar to the Chesapeake in winter meaning damp and cold some years and but capable of really freezing in others but I was not sure about that.

Regards
Jeff
Old 04-03-2002

obiec is on a distinguished road
Buying Canadian

You are getting some off info. I have recantly purchased a boat in Canida. If the boat was made in the US and you purchaser it in Canada there will be no dut. Now I have ben also told by Customes that there would be no duty even if the boat was made in Canada. but that was contridicted several times, That seam to give you a lot of difertent answers. But if you call Customs thay are the Peapol that inport them and thay might be able to say. I also dont belive that you would have to register it with Canada as long as you have your US citensens ship. Thay emidatly canceld my Canadian registration and told me I could not own a Canadan Boat.
Also after I purchased my boat I was oferd anouther that I was interested i buying, so I am consedering selling the one I have and it is already up there. I did a lot of looking before i purchesed her, and for the money it was the most boat I could find. It is set up for off shore crusing and hase ben around the wourld. It hase a wind vane, electric auto piolet. and all you need. I would sell it for what I have into it wich is about 23,000 US. I had it survaied and it looked good. I put new batom paint on it so she is good for anouther year.
Also it is not to cold to live on the coast if you are around Victoria. The weather is much like Seatle or Portlands. Email me or call me obiec@oregontrail.net
Obie 541-567-7390
Old 11-24-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
There is another alternative for others to consider since this thread was started 6 years ago it is no longer relavant to the originator. If one does not mind the distance driving to school and back to the boat an American can live on their boat in an American marina, namely Point Roberts. It is only 5 minutes to the small border crossing and then perhaps an additional 45 minutes to UBC or BCIT. You can commute across the border daily with all the others that do it. I am a Canadian who moors in Point Roberts and I think it has the finest location around.