Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007

AlexHazzard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
If HR is the Mercedes of boats, than Catalina is the Bentley!!!
I nearly spilled my cup of tea when I saw that!
it was supposed to be humorous, right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHazzard View Post
I nearly spilled my cup of tea when I saw that!
it was supposed to be humorous, right?
WATCH IT ALEX... I have your picture and will not hesitate to photoshop it!!!! HAHA!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-08-2007
PNW transplants in CA

paul77 is on a distinguished road
The thing that totally blows my mind about Hallberg Rassy, is that it appears that they actually appreciate. One of thier adds alluded to this "the chance for true appreciation" something like that.

Look at HR 43.. In 2003 it was CW boat of the year under $400k.. The sail away price was $380k IIRC (I read the issue recently).

There are two 2003 HR 43s, and two 2004 HR 43s on YW right now..

$515k, $575k, $686k, $714k

Just totally nuts. Maybe this can be attributed to the decline in US dollars and increase in oil prices since 2003. Indeed other 2003 european import boats are high relative to their price in 2003. Much older HRs have eventually gone down.

With their marquee though and build quality, of any boat it seems you could expect to get much of your initial purchase back, it not also the upgrades.
Old 10-08-2007

AlexHazzard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
WATCH IT ALEX... I have your picture and will not hesitate to photoshop it!!!! HAHA!

- CD

oops!
but if you do photoshop me, i need to look thinner, have a little more hair and maybe a touch taller, lol
Old 10-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
On price...that is entirely due to the Euro ...in 2003 it was around 90c and now it is $1.40...that same 400k price is 622k today just adjusting for currency. Not a good time to buy Euro boats...but a good time to own one!! I expect Catalinas are looking pretty attractive over there. (g)
Old 10-08-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I loved th tri maran joke...SD they got you didn't they???

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Here's one I will never forget...what do you think DAME Ellen says now???

ahahahahahaha

Tsteele.....you Sir (yes you're a Sir in my book now) are indeed my favorite here until someone comes with a better one........I humbly bow in front of you!!!
Old 10-08-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I told the wife that I'd almost buy the HR53 now and then decide later if I actually want to keep it.. we'd be able to sell it back for the same price, if not more, than we paid. From what I understand, the reason there are so few euro boats on the market in the US is that Euro buyers are coming to the US to save a lot of money due to the weak dollar.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-09-2007
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I visited the HR factory twice before taking delivery of my HR40. The facility and work ethic are outstanding. I spent three weeks in Ellös before my Sweden-Annapolis shakedown cruise.

In addition to my own boat, I have sailed 36, 37, 43, 48, and 53 HRs. They are great boats, and factory support is very good. There is not a huge support base in the US, but enthusiastic owners in the US and Vickie Vance at HR Parts ( www.hr-parts.com ) in Sweden make things easy. See www.hrowners.net for the not terribly active US owners group and the UK group on http://www.hroa.co.uk/forum/ . There is also a very active HR_Users_Group on Yahoo.

Like every boat there are some idiosyncrasies to be aware of. None are significant, but they are worth hearing about so you don't have to learn them on your own.

The aft cabin is a great place to rest. The weather had to be pretty bad crossing the Atlantic before I moved midships. It's wonderful at anchor. The separation of the forward and aft cabin makes sailing with guests very nice. The salon of every HR I have been on is a comfortable and gracious place to entertain or just kick back and watch a movie.

The systems are reliable and well thought out.

I sail mine singlehanded very often without any issues.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 10-12-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Great comments and highly appreciated!

If anyone wants to see some video from the boat we looked at... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c6jxUf73Z8
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-12-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
During the time I spent sailing the Med, the HRs were plentiful there and were amoung the boats we most admired and envied. And that was before German Frers got involved with the designs, which have only improved since.

One anecdote I will pass along concerns a problem with the cockpit windshield on a fairly late model HR. I read an account by an owner that described the boat taking a large wave that struck the windshield, which subsequently shattered. Not into bits and chunks of safety glass, but into lethal shards. It left him in a real bind in heavy weather, as he was not able to tend the sheets because the lines were blanketed in razor sharp glass shards.

With their reputation for quality, I imagine that HR would have remedied that issue by now, but it would be worth inquiring about, especially if you are considering a used model.