Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Normal racing crew on the j22 is 3 or 4 at max. (Northsails has a cd available that does a good job showing crew positions and tasks. If you haven't seen it you should get a copy.)

The j can be single handed. I can, and have, raced one single handed (including spinaker). Requires a bit of athleticism, but can be done.
Old 10-11-2007

jldooley is on a distinguished road
I don't think anyone here is an ahole.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying to raise the mast on a J-22 and set up the boat single handed.
Racing single handed with a spinnaker in a class commonly known as 'bumper cars', You sir, are a far superior sailor to me. I will acknowledge my mistake and apologize for my gross ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
I didn't think you were calling anyone here an ahole, but you were implying that you found that to be the case of the j-22 sailors in your area.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 10-11-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
No worries. (I think I'm still sore from that day!)
Old 10-11-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBay View Post
I guess the one thing I didn't expect was the cost of racing
The expenses that some people have mentioned are not mandatory. For example, I would not invest in new sails until you get a feel for the lay of the land, so to speak or at least get your feet wet, to mix a metaphor. We have only recently started racing (on a larger boat) and have had quite a lot of fun without spending much more than we did cruising. Of course, one design is something different. I would suggest you start out with some used but serviceable sails and see whether you have really caught the bug.
Old 10-11-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The class association limits maximum crew weight to a number that would typically only allow 4 pretty light weight people onboard and limits crew to a minimum of three. The J-22's are used for some of the premier woman's regattas (Santa Maria Cup and the Rolex). Most top woman's teams use 4 person crews.

These are very easy boats to single-hand. Locally there have been a number of single-handed keel boat series over the years and the J-22's have done quite well. Messing about they also work well.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2007

WalkerBay is on a distinguished road
I believe the weight limit is 605lbs. The J22 class seems more hard core and possibly harder to break into than say the Thistle class. I met a gut at a boat show who races thistles and he has emailed me all summer inviting me down to his club to race, unfortunately it never worked out. On the other hand I have begged and pleaded to go out on the J22's with some friends who have access to them and it's like it goes in one ear and out the other while they nod with a smile on there face. Thus my growing impatience turns into scr%w them I'll just buy my own boat. But like the one guy said before I will offer to help them put there boats away and maybe just maybe I will get the honor of sailing on the J22, and can confirm all the hype and then make a more educated decision.
Old 11-07-2007

WalkerBay is on a distinguished road
Just to update and probably finish this thread. I have met some more J22 crew and 1 owner that have said they would love to have more crew next season, and that this season was hard because the North Americans were in town and the crews were set. We also talked about getting into laser sailing in addition to the J22. The Laser can be sailed single handed, it's easy to trail and launch, fun to race, it's a one design, has lots of fleets locally and it's relatively inexpensive. In addition, I will try to crew on the J22 as much as I can to research that boat some more. So I can't wait for this winter to fly by, I will find a Laser and do some racing. And even if it all goes to he$% I always have my little Walker Bay.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.