Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
1979 C&C 27' (mk3?)

Could anyone fill me in on the pros and cons of this little boat? Can't find too much on her and found one on line, but the pictures make her look pretty unattractive.

Any info on her sailing performance, track record, build quality and layout below decks would be greatly appreciated!

Fair Winds
Chris

Last edited by scurvy; 10-10-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The late 70s early 80s C&C 27s are really essentially mini C&C 30s - they are actually hard to distinguish from one another at a distance. (Rigging differences are the easiest way - double lowers vs singles)

I'm not sure where the MKIII/MKIV change happened but cannot see any significant differences there - though the C&C web sites may help there.

There's a range of prices.... btw there is a '79 "C&C 27" on Yachtworld for around $5K... it's actually a C&C designed Newport 27... a semi flush deck that may be a decent boat for the money.
Old 10-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
btw there is a '79 "C&C 27" on Yachtworld for around $5K... it's actually a C&C designed Newport 27... a semi flush deck that may be a decent boat for the money.
Hi Faster!

Exactly the one I was checking out. Looked like a Stonehorse or Pearson Lark from the profile, but the Newport would make sense. Any idea how the Newports sailed?

Chris
Old 10-10-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
There's a range of prices.... btw there is a '79 "C&C 27" on Yachtworld for around $5K... it's actually a C&C designed Newport 27... a semi flush deck that may be a decent boat for the money.
Whoa, there...I crewed on a Newport 27 for five years AGAINST C&C 27s, and while the cosmetic difference is essentially in the deck (the hulls are identical or nearly so), the difference is in the ballast: the C&C 27 carries nearly a ton more than the Newport 27 and is consequently a good deal "stiffer". Now, in light air, the Newport is the more competitive boat, and downwind, it is capable of surfing at 10-12 knots, a fairly impressive thing in a keelboat of its class and age. But in any kind of a head sea, the Newport 27 would get "punched" into a crawl while the C&C 27 would bash through the waves thanks to greater momentum.

So if you race, those are considerations. If you cruise, the Newport has probably a tad more interior space and height. Five grand is a steal if the decks aren't rotted.

By the way, I raced in one of the more competitive clubs in the country, and on the Newport got two firsts, two thirds and a second in five years of PHRF racing...so we were doing something right.
Old 10-11-2007

Wow!

I did the calculations with sail area ratios, ballast, displacement, LOA, LWL, Beam, etc... and my Vega seemed to edge the Newport out a bit in most catagories...which was surpising to me. They were; however, very comparable with the exception of the room below decks...no contest when it comes to livability and head room. At first site, I thought this to be a rather unattractive vessel, but she seems to grow on you after you spend some time looking it over.

My Vega will never be the prettiest girl a the dance...but she can DANCE!!!

Depending on what happens with finances and such, this little Newport could be a contender in the spring!?!?

chris
Old 10-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you have an Albin Vega, why would you want a Newport??? Just curious... the Vega is capable of crossing oceans, and many have done so...and would be a much better choice IMHO for doing so than either a Newport 27 or C&C 27. Yes, the Newport and C&C are going to have more room... but I guess it really depends on what your ultimate plans are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you have an Albin Vega, why would you want a Newport??? Just curious...
That is a great question Sailingdog, and we really don't want to part with the Vega. IMHO, the Vega stands heads and shoulders above many others her size...truly a "bombproof" boat!

We have encountered some rather unnexpected financial setbacks that may warrent the sale of our boat. Should that happen, we are wondering what types of boats would be comparable in terms of price, coastal cruising, daysails, overnights for two adults and two small children. We would try to regroup and recoup the lost cash and try to move on a boat in the spring. I found a listing of the Newport online and was inquiring about it as I have very little knowledge of this craft.

We will hang on to this Vega as long as we can, she truly is a great little sailboat. Now I just need to find a rebuilt engine that will fit her. Not sure where to turn. the MD6A is back up and running, but I don't trust it as far as I could throw it!!!

Chris
Old 10-11-2007

Stryker72 is on a distinguished road
I have been looking at the C&C 27's as well. here is site that will provide a lot of info.

http://www.cc27association.com/
Old 10-11-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
That is definitely not a 1979 C&C27. That looks like a boat designed early 1970s.

To me this is a case of someone trying to sell their boat by marketting it for what it is not. Not only does it bring attention to this guy's boat but it gives the false impression that a C&C27 mark III can be had for $5000 which further devalues the actual C&C27.

I would like to see Yachtworld police this practice as it is misleading

Mike
Old 10-11-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehoyt View Post
That is definitely not a 1979 C&C27. That looks like a boat designed early 1970s.

To me this is a case of someone trying to sell their boat by marketting it for what it is not. Not only does it bring attention to this guy's boat but it gives the false impression that a C&C27 mark III can be had for $5000 which further devalues the actual C&C27.

I would like to see Yachtworld police this practice as it is misleading

Mike
Mike - we've already identified that boat as a Newport 27, which is in fact a C&C designed hull, but I agree with your comments re the labeling it as a "C&C 27" .... just as no one should advertise a Viking 28 as a "C&C 28".

And $5K kind of indicates to me that that boat likely has some serious flaws.