Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007

121Guy is on a distinguished road
More on the warranty support from Novis....

The current warranty manager there is named Andy Drumm. Over on Sailing Anarchy there is a thread discussing a new Jim Antrim designed 40 foot Class 40 race boat. The literature lists none other than Andy Drumm as the sales contact for the Novis 40!

This stuff would be really hard to believe if it wasn't so sad.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I would certainly proceed with both eyes open in regards to the warranty issue claims made by some and take the comments, not confirmed by reputable and/or neutral source BTW, with a grain of salt.
T37 Chef and all,

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. Two added points I know have been made before but bear repeating are:

No one from Novis has ever apologized to Cindy or I for the problems they have caused.

As for the "neutral source" comments. I'd like to remind all that before we sued, we tried to do just that. Boat US Consumer Protection Group was the only mediation service we could find. We started that process and the company, in the person of it's CEO Bill Ross, refused to communicate with them.

The fellow at Boat US to speak with is Raymond Rose and his e-mail is rrose@boatus.com

What more should a consumer be expected to do?
Old 10-12-2007

luckyjim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121Guy View Post
More on the warranty support from Novis....

The current warranty manager there is named Andy Drumm. Over on Sailing Anarchy there is a thread discussing a new Jim Antrim designed 40 foot Class 40 race boat. The literature lists none other than Andy Drumm as the sales contact for the Novis 40!

This stuff would be really hard to believe if it wasn't so sad.
121 Guy,

I am not sure if you are making a dig at Andy Drumm or not. I do not think it would be fair to blame Andy Drumm or knock him in any way. I am sure he is just being pushed from here to there.

What I do find very disturbing though is that Novis' single warranty manager who has to take care of all of the C&C/Tartan user base is being given added responsibilities to sell a new class of boat. What is going on with that? When current owners don't hear back from Andy for weeks because he is 'so swamped with warranty issues' that owners are forced to go to Tim Jackett what in the world are the management thinking? Surely at this time Andy should be working client calls, not selling new boats (although we all need them to be doing that right now!). To know one young guy is the warranty manager, a salesman and also out commissioning boats for days on end is just indicative of what is going. (Yes, Andy spent days in the NE recently re-commissioning the split hull after re-manufacture!)

Again, I am not knocking Andy, but please whoever is listening, get Andy Drumm back in a role of communicating with current clients with broken boats to make the existing clients happy...building the goodwill!

LJ
Old 10-12-2007

willindvilleva is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Will,

I have not been involved in the controversy, but based on what I've heard and read and since you asked "What more can I do?", at your invitation I offer the following suggestions:

1) You and all the other Tartan dealers should contact Tartan/Novis and pressure them to quickly resolve the pending litigation concerning Tartan warranty issues. This resolution should include a full, complete, and unqualified satisfactory outcome for the customers.

2) Do not let Tartan/Novis put a gag order on the final settlement. Full disclosure of the outcome is critical for restoring customer confidence.

3) Insist that Tartan perform the biggest Mea Culpa ever known in the marine industry. Have them accept responsibility, ask forgiveness, and assure current owners and potential customers that this regrettable chapter is an aberration. Pledge to treat all customers like #1 in the future.

4) Urge Tartan to hire as a consultant a qualified marine engineer/naval architect to review quality issues and assure everyone that design, construction, and management problems have been resolved.

5) Make sure Tartan/Novis sacks whoever is responsible for this fiasco. It should never have gotten this far along.

Personally, I find many of the Tartan designs to be very appealing, notably the new 4300. It has been very disheartening to watch this situation unfold. I do not fault you for stepping up and backing the boat you have listed -- if I were the seller I'd greatly appreciate your efforts. But Tartan needs to get past this, or unfortunately the problem will continue to spread to folks like you and your customer. The power to lift the curse rests solely with Tartan/Novis.
Hey ... I asked what more could "I" do for my client and a prospective purchaser. I think that your suggestions are a bit unreasonable for ME to take on. Please consider that I am just one independent dealer, not the company!
Old 10-12-2007

willindvilleva is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121Guy View Post
Stem and psych and Will,

Wish you both well on your purchases.

Stm,

My advice to you from someone has walked in your shoes.....stick with one that is several years old and get a good survey. I don't place much value in the warranty on the newer boats as you are ultimately relying on the factory. Your warranty is with them, not the dealer. Get one that already has been vetted if you can.

7psych,

We were owners of a Tartan before our current C&C 121. She was a Tartan 33. Which old Tartan are you moving from?

Are you purchasing from a company owned dealer?

Are you trading the old one, or selling privately?

The 3400 looks like a fine boat and the keel centerboard sure give you options. I looked one of the new ones with the trough boom over well this summer. It was commissioned in the marina we were in. I really liked the spar but wasn't too crazy about the boom. Thought the spar was well done but couldn't justify the look, cost and finish of the trough boom versus an aluminum boom with lazy jacks / stackpak. Have you asked what the price difference might be? Have you sailed one with the keel centerboard and new style rig?

Will,

I admire your straightforwardness. Do you work at a company owned dealership or is it an independent?

How many new Tartans and C&C's have you sold and for how long?

What kind of warranty issues have you had to deal with?

Best wishes to you all.

Just wanted to answer a your questions, First of all I am an Independent Dealer for Virginia and North Carolina. Next, I am a new dealer and have been in business for 1.5 years approximately. I have sold two 3400's to date many brokerage boats. I have successfully worked through 4 different warranty issues and am currently working on the 5th.

I have been in the Marine industry for 20 plus years and have extensive sailing back ground.

thank you for the opportunity to join this discussion and I sincerely hope that we can work together put out this wild fire! Tartan Yachts are and continue to be a quality built boat!

Will
Old 10-12-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Will,

I recognize you are just one dealer, but I couldn't resist the chance to make those suggestions to the first person associated with Tartan that has posted to Sailnet. Maybe if you could network with the other dealers you could speak collectively to Novis and send them a reality check.

It is nice to hear from one of the dealers and it sounds like Tartan is lucky to have you representing them. You might consider checking in at Sailnet from time to time since Tartan boats of all vintage are a frequent topic of inquirey here.

I missed the Annapolis show as we were out sailing that weekend. If you were there and got aboard the 4300 I'd be interested in hearing your impressions (especially if you went for a sail!)
Old 10-12-2007

Will,

Thanks so much for the info.

When you say "independent", does that mean that you own 100% of the business? Does Novis, or any other Novis related company have an interest in the dealership?

Have you sold and commissioned any new C&C s?

Good luck and thanks,

121 Guy
Old 10-12-2007

Will,

Sorry I forgot...could you tell the group a little about what the warranty issues were?
Old 10-13-2007

joeasburyp is on a distinguished road
I LOVE my new to me Tartan 27, 1970. I hope your issues are worked out, court or sailing, hum, that's a hard choice.
Old 10-13-2007

luckyjim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeasburyp View Post
I LOVE my new to me Tartan 27, 1970. I hope your issues are worked out, court or sailing, hum, that's a hard choice.
Not if you don't have a safe working boat on which to go sailing and it is tied up at the dock and cannot go anywhere! Court is the only option to get what you paid for.

Enjoy the T27...by all accounts a lovely boat.