Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007

stm is on a distinguished road
tartan sailboats

I am currently looking at several Tartan's. I used to own a t-37 and was very happy. Now I looked to get a newer 3500 (2002) or a 2007 3400. I have read some bad threads of hull issues in the newer boats. Does anyone have any feedback on the 3500's and has Tartan responded to the issues with the newer hulls? Has there been any issues with the 3400? thanks in advance.
STM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Funny you should mention that... This boat is a 2007 down in Deltaville VA. Guy had it 3 months and had to sell it (don't ask me why). Custom paint job, lots of bells and whistles. 15 year transferable warranty from Tartan. Thats if you can get them to return your phone call. Good luck.

Freeman
Old 10-10-2007

jboatjack is on a distinguished road
we need a lemon law for boats.
Old 10-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
Funny you should mention that... This boat is a 2007 down in Deltaville VA. Guy had it 3 months and had to sell it (don't ask me why). Custom paint job, lots of bells and whistles. 15 year transferable warranty from Tartan. Thats if you can get them to return your phone call. Good luck.

Freeman
Damn it...what a nice looking boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-11-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2007

willindvilleva is on a distinguished road
Hello,

The Name is Will Vest and I am the Tartan C&C Dealer for Virginia and North Carolina. I want to assure you that there is nothing wrong with this boat! I am willing to prove it! You purchase this boat subject to a survey and if the survey discloses any of the problems that this site has been implying then I will pay for the survey!! (and tear up the purchase agreement). What more can I do for the purchaser and the seller?

Will Vest
Tartan C&C Yachts Virginia/NC
804-776-0570
804-370-0265 cell
Old 10-11-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Will,

EDIT: Based on further revelations made here: Tartan Issue , in particular post #18, I have decided to remove these suggestions for Tartan. I will keep an open mind about the concerns some recent Tartan owners have raised, and hope all will be resolved quickly and to everyone's reasonable satisfaction.

I still would be interested in hearing more about the new 4300, a design that would suit our sailing style very well.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-20-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2007

7Psych is on a distinguished road
My wife and I just ordered a 3400 and will be getting delivery in late November. We also were very interested in that 3500 and definatly would have purchased it except for the draft. We sail in very shallow waters and cannot have anything except a centerboard keel. We are repeat Tartan owners. We spent MANY,MANY months looking and researching boats and there was nothing that could compare to the Tartan and its offerings. We have no regrets re: our decision to purchase and expect only a top quality boat.

However, aside from this re: the recent litigaton.....just remember....There are TWO sides to every story!
Old 10-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm View Post
I am currently looking at several Tartan's. I used to own a t-37 and was very happy. Now I looked to get a newer 3500 (2002) or a 2007 3400. I have read some bad threads of hull issues in the newer boats. Does anyone have any feedback on the 3500's and has Tartan responded to the issues with the newer hulls? Has there been any issues with the 3400? thanks in advance.
STM

I would certainly proceed with both eyes open in regards to the warranty issue claims made by some and take the comments, not confirmed by reputable and/or neutral source BTW, with a grain of salt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-11-2007

luckyjim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I would certainly proceed with both eyes open in regards to the warranty issue claims made by some and take the comments, not confirmed by reputable and/or neutral source BTW, with a grain of salt.
...wait until the court papers are published I guess. Better still, have your attorney pull filings right NOW!

Look, whether it is a Tartan or a any new just do your homework, have your attorney do the prior/current litigation homework and reach out and talk with the unhappy owners. Find out and call around...
Old 10-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyjim View Post
...wait until the court papers are published I guess. Better still, have your attorney pull filings right NOW!

Look, whether it is a Tartan or a any new just do your homework, have your attorney do the prior/current litigation homework and reach out and talk with the unhappy owners. Find out and call around...

Where are all the other unhappy owners? How many 3700 have been built? How many hulls have cracked? One is to many, yes. Not fixing it...bad, very bad.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 09-24-2008 at 12:44 AM.