Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007
Reforming Stinkpotter

captainjay is on a distinguished road
Smile Newbie Intro and Yet another which boat?

Long story try to keep it short. I am a life long boater (power boater). In 2002 we were talked into going on a charter on a 54 Foot mono in the BVI's. Well the rest of the story sounds like a Buffet song. We have been back to the US and British Virgins several times. We have talked since 2002 about moving to St Thomas. Well the wife is in the final stages of a job offer in St Thomas. We are strongly considering buying a live aboard sailboat for down there. So I guess my question is which one for the money. We are thinking under $60,000. Things we like, separate shower second bed even if its just for storage. I like the layout of a lot of the center cockpits.
Also yes I have learned basics of sailing still have a ton to learn. I do hold a fifty ton masters for power so I do have basic boat handling and navigation skills but the blow boating will take a little longer to become proficient.
We are in our early forties, no kids, no pets. I am a general contractor so finding work won't be an issue. We will have to work as we have spent to much money over the years playing to cruise full time.
Fire Away.
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jay...given your price range...you will be looking at very old CC boats to get what you want in terms of liveaboard ameneties in your price range. There are lots of boats down there that have issues as sailing vessels but which may serve as floating condos. (Gulfstars, Endeavors, Morgans etc.). If you can find one without "killer issues" on survey and are willing to put time/effort and $$ into refurbishing one, then you can probably do what you want and live on the hook on the eastern side of St. Thomas.
I don't think it is possible to get a boat here in your price range that has the ameneties and space needed AND is capable of making the trip south so I would look down there for a less seaworthy boat that has the space you need.
While you certainly have marketable skills as a GC...I would check on your ability to be HIRED in St. Thomas as the local economy may have barriers to outsiders.
Good luck!
Old 10-12-2007
Reforming Stinkpotter

I guess I should have given a little more detail about expectations. I know that we will likely be looking at an older boat and likely not a top tier. I have always done my own maintenance and most repairs so I am familar with that process as well and fully expect to have to do some refit on any boat in that price range. I also had figured on trying to buy something already down island. I have some passage making experience, Florida to Bahamas and coastal cruising in Florida but I would be reluctant to take off on a new to me older boat with out proper shake down and try that trip. I do know a good surveyor on St Thomas that does a ton of surveys for insurance on older boats so that will be some help. I also have a couple different friends living on moorings on St Thomas as well, one at Crown Bay and another at Red Hook. We will be on the island in November and plan to look at a few boats while we are down. As for barriers to work its a US territory and therefore much easier than most islands. The wifes job offer is a government position that has taken nearly a year, gotta love island time, to go from offer to almost a contract. The plus side is its got good benefits, health insurance etc. Which gives me some freedom in how I make a living. I have also given thought to working six months as a mate on a dayboat just to get the time to upgrade my ticket to near coastal. I would likely just work construction for someone else initialy to get a handle on local suppliers etc.
Actually the list of boats you gave are pretty mutch the ones that we have been looking at we also have looked at Irwins, and although not a CC I like the look of some of the Catalina's.
Any other advice will be appreciated.
Jay
Old 10-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jay...sounds like you have the bases covered...now to find a boat! I agree with you on an Irwin CC being ideal for what you are planning as well but there are few of the size/price you need down there. Ditto for Catalinas as they were not commonly in charter...if there are any Bene's or Hunter's or Jeanneaus you like, they will be easier to find. Glad you have a good surbeyor as there are a lot of "hurricane" boats still.
Old 10-12-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Jay,
There is a nice looking Tartan 34, 1984ish, which is in PR. Look it up in Yachtworld. it looked in good shape and could be had low thirties I would think. Plenty left to refit. Maybe not big enough, but a good boat!
Good luck and keep us posted.

Freeman
Old 10-25-2007
Reforming Stinkpotter

My stink pot went in contract today subject to survey. It looks like I will be boatless for the first time in 20 years. What now? I will be in St Thomas the day after Thanksgiving for a week, we plan to look at a few boats while we are down there.
Jay
Old 10-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If you don't have a lot of money, you might be able to find a Ferrocement boat. They do't command a lot of money on the market because quality can be spotty. If you find a good one - and they are out there - then you will have a very, very good boat.
Old 10-26-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Morgan's are a good option, 60k is low but doable if you do a lot of fixing and upgrading.
Old 10-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only problem with a ferrocement boat is that most are difficult to get insurance or financing on. Also, finding a surveyor that has ferrocement experience and knowledge can be difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2007

Cal25sailor is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Take a look at the Cal 46. It's a center cockpit with forward and aft staterooms, stand up ability in the engine room and not too deep drafted. You can find them typically from 50's to low 100's depending on condition, sail inventory, etc. It's a lot of boat, and quite the comfortable liveaboard. After spending some time aboard one, I almost sold my house and purchased one to become my floating home.

If you're interested, I can hook you up with a couple owners to discuss and perhaps even take a look.

You can research them on yachtworld.com The Mk1 and Mk2 had large deck portlights, the Mk 3 moved the galley into the companionway leading to the aft cabin, incorporated smaller ports and had almost an apartmentlike feel to the spaces. Not the least bit cramped.

Cheers,
Scott S.
Cal 25 #1651 Indefatigable
Annapolis, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.