Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007

dworkman is on a distinguished road
Inspection Help in Georgetown MD

Hello All! What a great forum, thanks to all the contributors for the endless advice and reading material, I am soaking it up as I look to purchase a new cruising boat.

My wife and I will be sailing the Caribbean for 7 months this winter and spring. We are currently in CO and are looking at 38 FT Cats as our boat of choice.

We have located a potential R&C 3800 in Georgetown MD that may be a good boat, but we'd like to have it inspected by either a reputable surveyor, or my a forum member who knows their stuff, before we make travel plans to see it.

The broker has informed us of about $15k of work that needs to be done before she is ready to voyage, so we know some things will be needed, but don't want to be caught off guard by anything major.

There is currently an offer on the boat, so this may become a moot point, but if there is anyone on the forum who would be willing to do a formal inspection or knows (or is) a reputable surveyor in the area that may do an inspection and report back to us, we would very much appreciate the suggestion.

The boat can be located on YachtWorld with a Search for "Caine" up to 38FT. (I cannot post the link as this is my first post).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
The boat in question:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=38346&url=

Other than the high time on the engines (4000 hours on a '99? must have been a charter), I can only imagine the $15K worth of work would be for upgrades rather than fixes.

Last edited by TSteele65; 10-12-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I keep my boat in Georgetown, Md. Although I'm not in a position to look her over for you I'll ask around this weekend and see if I can find a surveyor in the area.
Old 10-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welcome...Looks like a moorings boat to me.
You are gonna buy a brand new boat..fly in from CO and go cruising for 7 months to the Caribe?? Let's see...that means you have to leave now to be out by hurricane season. Have you prepped a boat and cruised offshore this before? If you are buying a charter cat...why not just buy one down island and enjoy your limited time? It is 200% easier to sail back than to sail there.
Old 10-30-2007

dworkman is on a distinguished road
Hi Cam, thanks for putting so much time into helping out the rest of the crusing community.

That is the plan. I have done hours upon hours of research to make it happen in this time frame. We have a small window to be able to do this at this stage in our lives, so we're going to give it our best shot.

We've looked at boats currently in the Caribe, but have not found any that we are really interested in. And I only recently moved from the Tampa area so have a lot of on the water and hurricane experience. However, this will be new as I have only chartered before. But I have been around boats my whole life.

I'm confident in my ability to research and plan a trip like this under these circumstances. I'd rather go now than wait for the planets to align.

Thanks for the response, I welcome any comments...
Old 10-31-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Chris Oliver in Annapolis @ 410-643 1545 is probably the best engine surveyor around. He is a retired diesel mechanic.
Old 10-31-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I second Chris Oliver! Be sure and ask for Chris Senior although Chris Jr is a great mechanic also.