Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Best New Cruiser 42-45 under $1,000,000

I just can''t seem to decide what would be the best new cruiser 42-45 under $1,000,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2002

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road

I would suggest any of the following Manufactures which produce boats within your requirements:
Mason
Halberg Rassy
Oyster
Shearwater
Pacific Seacraft
Swan
Old 04-04-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

Denr,

Yeah, that is a tough question. I was lying awake last night wondering the same thing.

This is one of those times I can''t tell if you''re being serious or jerking chains. Did you win the lottery perchance? If so, I''ll crew for you.

Anyway, not that I am an expert in this topic, but if I were in the position right now to look at a boat in this category, a few come to mind: Morris 42 and the J-42. But I''d also check out the bigger boats from Tartan, Sabre, and Pacific Seacraft (Nigel Calder''s 1999 PS-40 is for sale in Annapolis for a mere $359K I think it is.) Fun to think about at least!
Old 04-04-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

As a production boat the Morris 454 would certainly be near the top of my list. Then again, if I had a $1,000,000 to spend, I would probably do a custom boat that sounds something like:

Sensible interior:
Full sized berths for a reasonable number of people. Berths that are comfortable underway as well as at a boat show. Comfortable seating for the entire crew and a few visitors more. A galley that works. Canvas clothing lockers that can be packed ashore and carried aboard. Canvas hull liners that are light in weight and which can be thrown in the washer at the end of the season and which allow access to concealed wiring and plumbing.

Sensible Galley:
The fully equipped galley is located near the companionway where it is within easy reach of the cockpit and dinette. Its position near the center of buoyancy means a galley with the least amount of motion. A top loaded Ice box. Frankly the one item that seems to be the most problematic on boats is refrigeration so I am not sure that I would have refrigeration. As a vegetarian this could work for me.

High Tech Construction:
The careful use of modern materials carefully engineered to produce a boat that is strong, light, and durable. Light to be able to drive through a chop or ghost in light air. Durable since I would rather use your limited time sailing than performing maintenance. It would probably be have kevlar laminate for puncture and abrasion resistance.

Fractional Rig:
The fractional rig is the perfect cruising rig. Since the majority of the sail area is in an easily de- powered mainsail there is no need live with an oversized genoa. This tall rig is very effective in light air. The comparatively small lapper jib works in a wide range of wind speeds. It is easy to tack and furls on a below deck mounted roller furler. As the wind builds the main is easily de- powered, just drop the traveler and crank in a bit of mast bend. When it really blows, the cockpit led reef lines and halyards permits quick on- the- fly reefing.

Daggerboard with Lead Bulb and Water Ballast:
Despite the shoal draft long keel, or wing keel hype nothing goes to weather like a properly ballasted deep draft keel. Unfortunately, many a great anchorage is inaccessible to a 7''-6" draft. A daggerboard would permit the boat to sail exceptionally well when depths permit and an electric center board winch would allow for quick draft adjustment when shallower venues beckon. A Volvo 60 style shiftable water ballast would allow the boat to sail safer faster, and carry more sail comfortably in higher winds.

Full Size Tankage:
When a boat can sleep seven people it needs to have proper tankage and storage. Tankage should be something like 120-140 gallons of potable water storage in separate tanks, a 40 gallon holding tank (less with a treatment system), and a 40-50 gallon diesel fuel tank.

If this were for my use the dimensions would approximately be
LENGTH OVERALL LOA 44''
LENGTH ON WATERLINE LWL 41''
BEAM ON DECK B 12''-8"
BEAM AT WATERLINE BWL 10''-1"
DISPLACEMENT 16,800 LBS.
DRAFT- BOARD UP 5''-7"
DRAFT- BOARD DN. 7''-7"

BALLAST- LEAD DAGGERBOARD 6,845 LBS.
BALLAST- WATER BALLAST 1875 LBS.
SAIL AREA Mainsail 585 S.F.
100% Triangle 438 S.F.
TOTAL 1023 S.F.

DISPLACEMENT/ LENGTH RATIO 140 to 150
SAIL AREA/ DISPLACEMENT RATIO 23
BALLAST/ DISPLACEMENT RATIO 41 %
Min. MAX. GZ Positive To 125 o

Old 04-04-2002

RichH will become famous soon enough

With respect to a fractional rig --- I certainly hope that this is not your ideal ''cruising boat'' as typically most cruising boats sail predominantly downwind for long periods of time following the normal wind patterns. With a fractional rig, the typical CE imbalance when sailing free or on low broad reach angles (like you primarily do in the trades, or during passagemaking etc.) with a fractional would result in a fairly constantly imbalanced sail plan - resulting in a lot of strain of and overuse of the autopilot or windvane, etc. In most normal passage situations most cruisers favor a large genoa, sometimes set singly and without a main as it better balances. Spinnaker? .... who''s going to be on deck all night adjusting it - day after day after day?. You must be referring to long distance ''round the buoy races'', or simply perhaps are confusing upwind performance with ''cruising'' - huh? Am I missing something here? regards.
Old 04-04-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Yup, Rich you are missing something. Of course a fractional rig with non-overlapping headsails is my ''ideal cruising boat''. I don''t know where you cruise but along the North Atlantic coast where I have cruised most of my life, the predominant winds do not result in "typically most cruising boats sail predominantly downwind for long periods of time following the normal wind patterns." Beyond that, with a modern hull form you would almost never would head dead downwind as the best VMG is on a broad reach until the wind gets very high at which time you snug a Fractional rig down to a nice snug masthead rig.

Beyond that having owned and cruised 4 fractional rigged boats for the past 18 years, I really haven''t experienced the imbalance that you are conjecturing occurs downwind. You need to remember how far forward the mast is located in a fractional rig compared to masthead rig or worse yet a cutter rig to understand why there is no problem running with a fractional rig.

As to using the spinacker, I can understand why you might question the use of a spincaker if your ideal boat has a masthead rig, but with the comparatively small chutes on a fractional rig I routinely fly the chute even when cruising single-handed. It allows sailing in a lot of conditions when you''d be motoring without it. Short-handed at night it does make sense to strike the chute. But here again one nice thing about a fractional rig is that you won''t have someone on deck all night traying to keep a winged out genoa full - day after day after day. You can strike the jib at night or because of its smaller size you don''t need to tend it as diligently.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2002

i would add to my earlier posting the following:
Shannon
Cabo Rico
Obviously I am biased towards full displacement vessels. But having cruised offshore for some 30 years in various types of vessels and weather I would tend to stick with those boats with a proven safety
record, great habitability and great storage capacity. All of these have decent sailing abilities on most points of sail with the Swan and Shannon more performance oriented than the others. I would still rather get there a day or two later but get there with all the creature comforts and redundancy that were possible--One man''s opinion!!
Old 04-05-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road

Hinckley builds a pretty nice Sou''wester 42 that, depending upon how you equipped her, should come in under a mil.

Snap
Old 04-08-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road

Maybe for a used SW 42, but I''ll bet Hinckley gets way better than a mil for a 42 these days. Some friends just delivered a 56 down here to the Caribbean. Built last summer. 3.5 million. I just can''t see it.
Old 04-08-2002

VIEXILE, Iagree--there are a lot of boats just as nice and well made as the Hinckley for a lot less cost. The Hinckleys i have been on are beautiful boats but tend to be somewhat dated down below. I think their price is a reflection of high American labor costs as well as the mystique still associated with the boat as well as some honest to goodness snobery. I would put a Mason or TaShing up against a Hinckley from a quality of workmanship stand point and I think they would come out even, at probably less than 1/2 the price.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.