Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007

GulfCoastSkimmer is on a distinguished road
Smaller Multihulls

Wanted to ask a few questions about Gemini and other small multihulls so i Started this so as not to hijack kwaltersmi's thread.

First off I have read the definition of Blue Water as everything from, you can not see land in any direction, to Ocean passages, what is the consensus on the definition of Blue Water?

where i am now--
Currently i have access to 2 Hobie cats, and a sunfish prety much whenever i want. now that i am back in school- (36yrs old returning for teaching degree) i only use them once a month or so, however over the summers i use them almost weekly. I have held off on buying a boat to save a little more cash, and in 4-5yrs or so plan on buying something like a used Corsair 24 (F-24 MKI or MKII, or possible a Sprint 750 although they might still be a little steep for what i want to spend about 35-37K for boat and 5k or so to fixherup).

looking to the future--
Ok so my plan is 4-5yrs from now have something like the C-24, and then get myself a bigger multihull in 13-14yrs.(when i am 50)

At the top of my list was Gemini 105, i was under the impression they were blue water cats, you could find used for 100k ready to sail.

I sail out of the beautifull beach front called Bolivar lol.(Galveston).
Just for example, lets say i want to leave Galveston, and sail directly to Cancun. Would you cut across the Gulf of Mexico in a Gemini? How about a Corsair 31? If not what multihull would you choose at 100k? can it be done (saftely, lol, i know it can be done in a rowboat but you know what i am getting at)?

Scenario #2, and honestly more likely, I Head out from Galveston, Head strait to the tip of Florida (so not sticking to coastline), Stop somewhere near the southern tip for a few days, then head down to ST. Johns (VI's).
or maybee round the tip and head up north a bit to Daytona Beach.

anyways these are the plaes i plan on sailing so what does everyone think?

my other question is, If i were to stick to the coast could i sail from Galveston to FLorida realitively saftely in a C-24? Could it make the jump to St.Johns (VI's)?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Well - I don't know what everyone's opinion is but mine is that multihulls are inherently evil things, the toys of satan and guaranteed to bring nought but woe to the sailor foolhardy enough to venutre out in one ....

But that's just me

Quote:
anyways these are the plaes i plan on sailing so what does everyone think?
Old 10-14-2007

thesnort is on a distinguished road
I remember reading Ian Farrier's comments on what he would consider a bluewater for his line of boats: F-36 and up. I also have read that he has some issues with what Corsair did to his F-36 design.
I have never heard anyone comment on the Geminis being anything other than coastal cruisers. As for affordable catamarans that have circumnavigated, or at least made a trip or two across the pond, I would look at the Prouts. The Seawind is a popular Australian design that looks like a very nice catamaran, but would be a bit pricey.
How about this for a definition?: Force 9 capable; beating to windward in that instead of getting washed up on a lee shore.
Old 10-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John..People define blue water in different ways and there is a whole thread on it here. Do a search.
I define it as so far out to sea that you cant get back into land easily within 24 hours. Neither of the cats you mention are blue water. The Gemini are modestly constructed coastal cruisers and the C31 is by its' own brochure:
"... designed for the ultimate in day-sailing or weekend cruising performance."

You can go cruising along the coast and over to the Bahamas or up the ICW in either boat...and by the time you do that, you'll know you need something else to go further.