Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007

jdair101 is on a distinguished road
special access boats

Hi all
Being some what new to sailing this year my wife and I are having a great time with it all. We purchased a C&C27 MkV and have gained a fair bit of knowledge in regards to sailing and the sailing life.
We are hoping that 4 years with this boat and it will be time to move to a boat more suited to long weekend and week outings.
Here is our problem----- our daughter is 16 and in a wheel chair so getting her on and off the boat is a issue that for now (with the 27 we only day sail) we can deal with but in 4 years she will be heavier and we will be a bit older and comfort both getting her on and off the boat as well as at sail and on the hook are going to be our #1 concern for her.
We are hoping for a boat in the 33' to 35' range that will sail fast and be comfortable (I know I want it all)
Any suggestions for a boat in the $100,000.00 range ??????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You will find quite a few that will work. personally, I would look at boats with double wheels, and an opening transom. i would think this might be an easier method of getting your daughter on board vs over the side as you probably have to do currently. A single wheel boat may work, but you would probably want to convert it to the lewmar wheel that is quickly removable to get the same access from the rear that I am thinking would work best.

Just random thoughts, in the mean time, go to boat shows, dealers etc, taking in what boat may or may not have the ease of access that you need with your daughter. Reality is, in you situation, it would be best NOT to deal with boat brands per say, as much as the access and roominess part of the equation.

marty
Old 10-15-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
You may want to get hold of the folks at CRAB (Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating) and get their input.

http://www.crab-sailing.org/
Old 10-16-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hi,

I agree with the advice to check in with CRAB. They would be a good resource.

Reflecting on the difficulty of getting a wheelchair aboard, or even getting a crew member aboard without use of their legs, makes me wonder about whether a catamaran would be a good option. This would also eliminate much of the healing, which I imagine could be a bit of a challenge. Used examples of the Gemini 105MC (10.5 meters, length -- in you size range -- and beam narrow enough to fit ordinary slips) might be found in your price range. There are other folks on this forum more familiar with multihulls that should be able to offer other suggestions.

In the early 90's we regularly raced against a J-35 whose skipper/owner had no use of his legs (due to an atrophying disease, I believe). His crew helped him aboard, where he helmed the boat from a special seat that was rigged in the aft end of the cockpit. The seat was on a track, somewhat like a traveller, that allowed him to "tack" himself back and forth and move athwartships at will. He was one of our toughest competitors.
Old 10-16-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Shake-A-Leg in Newport also has an adaptive sailing program for people with multi-disabiliites. Their boats have been custom equipped to accommodate the special requirements of these sailors. At the very least, perhaps you may learn from their efforts.
Old 10-19-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
jdair101,

I have been thinking about your post a bit more. Frankly, I was hoping some other Sailnet members would come forward with additional suggestions. Sometimes folks miss certain posts, and it often helps to "bump" a topic back up to the top of the list. Hopefully this will serve that purpose.

I mentioned catamarans in my previous post. I still think some of these might be a good option for you and your daughter given her mobility issues. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend the typical cruising catamaran if you are hoping to do some club racing (you indicated you'd like a boat that will "sail fast"). And, depending on your daughter's capabilities, getting her involved in racing might be a real confidence booster.

The J35 skipper I mentioned was inspirational. Thinking about his choice of boat, it occurs to me that there is an aspect to the cockpit design of many J-Boats that, while I don't particularly care for it, may be very practical for individuals with mobility issues. I am referring to the level-deck seating for the helmsman. Most cockpits are "sunken" below the deck level, which allows for a nice coaming against which to lean one's back. J-Boats have this feature for the forward portion of the cockpit, but most of their designs have the helsman behind the wheel sitting on what is essentially the side and aft decks - not sunken at all.

It is easier to explain with photos than words, so I have attached links to a few J-boats that are for sale on Yachtworld. The two in your size/price range that I like are the J-32 and J-34C (not to be confused with the "J-34" which is much more of a racing design). Either of these would make a fine, comfortable cruiser/club racer. And it may be that the helmsman seating position would permit you to contrive an arrangement from which your daughter could helm the boat (if she has that capability), much like the J-35 skipper I described in my previous post.

Some additional details about your daughters limitations would help us to help you. I wish you well in your search and please let us know how we can be of further assistance.

J-32:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...58&searchtype=

J-34C:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...58&searchtype=
Old 10-19-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Check out the Hunter boats. They have an aft platform with a walk thru transom. Some of the biggins have dual wheels as well.
Old 10-19-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
As USCG suggested, an open transom would be great. If you could get into a marina with floating docks and back the boat into the slip you would have a much easier time of it. A boat like a Hunter would be an very good choice for you. They are inexpensive for the size of boat you can get, so you will get more room for the buck.

If you had an open transom, double wheels, and a big cockpit you'd really be in business.

A catamaran would be really good also. Very reduced heeling, lots of room, huge cockpit. The only issue might be the high freeboard (higher lift). There is a couple that come to my marina about every other month, and he is in a chair. They have a cat, but I never stopped to ask about how it works for them. Next time I see them I'll ask about it and report back to you.
Old 10-21-2007

jdair101 is on a distinguished road
Thanks all
Our daughter is completely dependant on us for all functions and not able to drive the boat. As I said it's getting her on and off that will be the big issue as well as trying to find a way to have her in the cockpit when under way. A cat would be ideal BUT it's not my kind of boat. (maybe some day when the fast part is out of my system a cat will work) I do like the J boats (I race on a J105) and a J30 was one I was looking at when we got the C&C. Thanks Ron I do like the look of the J32 and I think we could even get her chair down inside the boat. For now we will keep looking and MAYBE some day our #'s will come in and the $500,000.00 boat will happen. hahahaha

Thanks again all
Old 10-21-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
If you like the speed and still the assability of a cat, take a look at some of the tri-hulls, I sail a FIRST42, a very fast boat for its size and I've had my butt kicked more than once by a tri-hull..
I sailed down to the Channel Islands a couple years ago, where I met a couple on a tri-hull, unbeliveable the cockpit room on that boat. I would think it would be vary easy to modify the area for your needs...even for sleeping...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.