Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007

I33 is on a distinguished road
Vagabond 47 in Puerto Vallarta

Anybody know this boat?
http://www.sailingtexas.com/svagabond47b.html
I am wondering why it is so cheap? What difficulties might be encountered in bringing it to the USA?
Old 10-16-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
33 year old glass boat, teak everywhere, leaky decks, need rigging, tranny shot, possible blister and mast jobs needed, engine neglected, 1,500 miles away from San Diego, bad keel bolts, bank note, liens, dead owner, divorce, blah blah blah?

Go slow on this one, though you just never know. My friend bought an identical boat a few years back in the same locale, dragged her back up to So Cal, spent a bunch of $ on her and moved aboard.

Then it caught fire and was a total loss. So he bought another Vaggy.............

RB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
On these boats the bowsprit tends to rot out and the water tanks I think are galvanized steel and tend to leak -- eventually happens to all and its about $10k to remove and replace
Old 10-16-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
On another note, this is the vessel (new sistership) that I showed to Mrs. Wonderful at the Long Beach Boat Show in '84 as an introduction to the possibility of cruising later.

And the rest, (as they say) is expensive history..........
Old 11-25-2007

donhallmon is on a distinguished road
I have found that the price on the Vagabonds, the 42, 47 and 52, varies wildly. I myself bought a 42 just over 2 years ago for just $63,000. The factors seem to be mainly the amount of rot in the interior, the condition of the plumbing and the wireing. The boats are solid built and stand up very well in most respects but a good surveyer can find enough defects on any old boat for a very damning survey. It would be my guess that this boat has a recent surveyand the owners have a good idea of what it's worth.
Old 11-28-2007

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
i looked at one in nc about 2 months ago, it was floating but that was about all it could do. it needed everything, wiring was scary, decks leaked everywhere, chunks of rotten plywood decking were held in place by thin layer of epoxy and paint. flooded engine and no working electronics of anykind. all that being said, i really liked that boat, it really did feel like a ship, owners let me spend a couple nights on her and i found pics of her in better days. i made a really low ball offer, owners were thinking about it till a novice couple shows up and got me off the hook. i believe it sold for well under $50k. unless you enjoy working on boats, alot........ don't consider one of the leaky teaky brands...