Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Repent ye sinners.

This way leads to the expressway to hell.

Find an easier topic to discuss, you know like Arab v Jew , or Gore v Sailaway and PB. Abortion ? Conscription ? The Iraq war. Simple issues that won't get anyone upset.

Seriously, if you have a significant other of the womanly persuasion you are going to like centre cockpits no matter what. Get over it. Only the unmarried like aft cockpits. Sailing ability and aesthetics do not come into it.

You should know the ultimate golden rule of male longevity. You don't argue with a women you graciously accept her point of view as your own.

(damn that sounds might sextist for a BHL don't it ? )

Then again you could be so lucky to be aligned with the wonderful Ms Wombat who is adamant that she will not have a centre cockpit cos they just don't look right under mid 40' and that's getting bigger than we want. Gotta love that woman.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
he thought it may make it more difficult to read the trim on the main from that position.

Cruising sailboats have biminis and dodgers. Tough to see the mainsail in either case but it is a good idea to build in a window in the top of the bimini so you can take a look. No difference between cc & aft in this regard in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
On the larger aft cockpits the stern (master) becomes much more pleasing. Small boats, they are tight and the master will get pushed forward to the V.

I like CC's... but I agree that the rocking on a CC seems much more dramatic. Still, for a liveabord, it sure does give you a lot of space in the master.

I also think, as a generality, you will get a much nicer cockpit on a aft cockpit. THis is where you spend a CONSIDERABLE amount of your time when LA/Cruising. Many CC's are too short for me to lay out in comfortably.

Just some of my thoughts. I also believe a aft cockpit will get rid of a boarding sea MUCH quicker than a center. But that is really a rare occurence. And as a CC, you will take a boarding sea less often.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-22-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
We haven't had problems checking the main from the helm of a 45CC Morgan. We haven't sailed a huge number of different type boats but it's the most all around comfortable boat I've been on. The cockpit is roomy and great for a lot of friends to enjoy the sail together.

Not a disagreement CD, I didn't see your post before I pulled the trigger. I'm just speaking from my experience with one CC. There are a few very different models out there.

By the way, Click on the armadillio into my profile. That's the Morgan. See the window Cam mentioned? My wife commented on how much I used it. It works just fine.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White

Last edited by retclt; 10-22-2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Adding a "by the way"
Old 10-25-2007

FELTON is on a distinguished road
I always get sick in center cockpit
Old 10-25-2007

FELTON is on a distinguished road
Less storage on deck with center cockpit
Old 10-25-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Size is important! Smaller CC boats (less than 40+ ft ) look like wedding cakes. Movement apparent in cockpit can be more significant in CC boats. Weight placement may be the most important factor in this movement. My last boat, a 44CC, had the fuel tank under the aft berth and this boat had a pronounced "hobby horse" motion. My current boat, also a CC boat, has all tankage under the main cabin floor and has no "hobby horse" motion. This boat also has the CC pushed way aft of the mast and this also probably decreases the apparent motion.
Old 10-25-2007

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Like the Missus Wombat, my Pri-Mate, (maybe because we lived in Sydney for 12 years) liked the aft cockpit. Her views - the forward cabin was spacious enough, the lazarette and cockpit seat lockers gave me a place to put boat stuff that she didn't want stuffed in the cabin and interior lockers and she wanted a less "divided" layout below. Odd, don't you think, that she didn't consider that I prefer the look of ac's rather than cc's?

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 10-25-2007

wakked1 is on a distinguished road
Motion wise, I suspect CC can be less prone to pitching (being closer to the midpoint of the boat, mast and keel) but significantly more prone to rolling (being generally higher). After spending some 40 hours rolling down the coast recently, I vote for minimizing rolling.
Old 10-25-2007
S2 8.0c- Schatzie

JohnF261 is on a distinguished road
Center Cockpit

I bought my CC for the room below. I liked the aft cabin because at the time I was envisioning spending weekends with the admiral in some secluded gunkhole on the Chesapeake (it is a shoal draft). But the first weekend on the boat she discovered that spiders like sailing also. She HATES spiders. She told she would never be able to sleep knowing that spiders are aboard. So as it turns out, we spend more time in the cockpit daysailing than cruising and using the cabin. It makes a nice storage area. I do like the visibility, and the high freeboard. The boat handles well, feels stable, and we stay high and dry. However if you enjoy the feel of sailing heeled over with spray on your face and a rail in the water get the aft cockpit. Bottom line, aft cabin for sailing and center cockpit for cruising. My two cents.