SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   has anyone heard of a Cal-Pearson (1968) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/37894-has-anyone-heard-cal-pearson-1968-a.html)

knoxtn 10-22-2007 10:06 PM

has anyone heard of a Cal-Pearson (1968)

I am Looking at a 34 cal-pearson?????? I know Cals, and I know Pearson....Did designer Lapworth designed both? And in 1968 could that have been the very start of either manufacture? Was Jensen in this also? help!

Bardo 10-23-2007 09:17 AM

There is an '80-ish Cal Pearson on YW right now, so they must have been going for awhile.

JimsCAL 10-24-2007 08:22 PM

A few years after Cal and Pearson (separate companies) went out of business, some of their designs were bought by a new start-up company which called itself Cal-Pearson. They didn't last long.

SailorMitch 10-24-2007 10:00 PM

Pearson Yachts started in the late '50's and went under in 1991. By 1968 Bill Shaw was aboard as the chief designer. I know of no connection between Cal and Pearson in that period of time. Pearson did buy the molds and trade names for Cal and O'Day in the late 80's and probably made a few boats before the company was sold at auction in '91. Some investors did try to start a company they called Cal-Pearson in the mid-90's and did make maybe a dozen boats. Then they went belly up, too -- probably in 1997 or 1998. Everett Pearson then bought the name Pearson Yachts and TPI began making the True North powerboats. TPI of course made sailboats for a number of companies over the years.

bobdamiano 02-22-2010 08:44 PM

I think we might have the last Cal-Pearson?

My girlfriend and I bought a Cal-Pearson 34 in Bristol, RI. This Pearson was actually unfinished when the ill-fated Cal-Pearson corporation ceased operations. Bristol Marine acquired the property (including our unfinished boat) and got her sea-worthy.

I think this in fact may be the ONLY 34 that the company attempted to make. Online insurance forms have several other sizes for Cal-Pearson, but not a 34.

During the survey, we found some serious structural issues and nearly walked away. A contractor and engineer gave a worst-case estimate to bring it up to standards and we worked it out with the seller. We've had an amazing contractor completely gutting it, rebuilding the grid structure and bulkheads all winter and he's nearly done.

I have a blog about the repair here:
Repair / Rebuild

We're very interested in the history of this boat. It sat unfinished in the yard at Bristol Marine for a couple years. I'd love to find a photo of it sitting out there.

JimsCAL 02-23-2010 11:11 PM

i remember seeing that boat on yachtworld both before and after the final outfitting by Bristol Marine. I am very surprised she needed the work shown in your blog. You should have a fine boat when its all done.
Good luck!

bobdamiano 02-24-2010 06:39 AM

We were surprised too. But the closer we looked, the more we saw. While it sat in the yard unfinished, it got some rainwater damage. Most of that was repaired - cosmetically. The real issue (I think) was that the grid structure was very under-built. On top of that, the mast step sat directly on the hull between the grids on a little composite "box". The mast also had no tie-rod. The fact that the forward bulkhead was completely rotted away from the bottom of the hull probably didn't help.

The symptom we noticed during the survey was that the floor was clearly curved downward under the mast and the floor panels were all jammed together indicating that the sides of the hull actually got sucked in by the downward deformation.

There were a few mystery leaks noticed in the survey too. Once the headliner and trim were out, we saw all the "extra holes" they drilled around the toe-rail and other places (maybe they thought it needed more ventilation:)). Those are all epoxy filled now.

The boat has a massive grid structure now. The mast will sit ON three of the stringers (one of which is new), and will have a tie-rod. To further stiffen things, a brand new 3/4" bulkhead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 573382)
i remember seeing that boat on yachtworld both before and after the final outfitting by Bristol Marine. I am very surprised she needed the work shown in your blog. You should have a fine boat when its all done.
Good luck!