SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

World trip

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm from Belgium, visited ones US and like it. I have the age that I have time; I want to buy a sailboat, in the States.
It seems to me that some poeple know plenty from boats, so they can give me good advice.
We want to sail around the world and need a GOOD boat, fiberglass, sloop or cutter, after cabin if possible, full or long keel, skeged rudder, if tiler it's OK, ....
I'm handy and can do things myself, there is always something to fix, problem is to find a good boat. My budget is limited, so the boat will be a 1970-1980.
Thank in advance for your help.
Greetings.
Willy
mbu745@hotmail.com

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
mbu...you're going backwards about it.

If you're in Europe like me, its a good thing to buy a boat in the US now and bring it to Europe (and the Americans will thank you for helping their now weak economy), but becarefull because we need to pay taxes on the boat when you bring it back (account for at least 25% more) and the boat needs to be a certified model in the EU.

So if the boats are too old you might not find the certification papers equivalence in Europe or will have to re-certify it. around 3000 Euros to do it and 6 months you can't use your boat. Be carefull they have thousands of brands, and many did not make it to Europe, so chances are certifications are not existant for those.

Reverse your thinking. Choose a model from Yachtworld, as Jones recommended, based on COST, not year..

You will be amazed at what you can find.

So please establish your budget, add 25% for taxes, and 15% to bring the boat over either by sea or carrier. Then go hunting.

Look for Passport, Tartan, Valiant, CS, Pearson...look around these threads...

Ahh et bienvenue a Sailnet, nous sommes completement fous mais des bons gens...faites attention, CD est un peut bizarre...et Camaraderie est PD.

Bonne chance

#4 ·
Greetings Willy,

As Jones2R said, it would be helpful if you could provide some additional information about the size (length) boat you are looking for and what your "budget" is (price$$-range). But based on the information you provided, here are a few boats that you might want to research (Yachtworld.com is a good place to start). I think most of these have an aft cabin.

-Valiant 40
-Southern Cross 39
-Slocum 43
-Westsail 42
-Westsail 43
-Corbin 39 (center and aft cockpit)
-Tayana 42

If these are beyond your price range, you might consider some of the boats built by a company called "Allied" (36, 38, 39, 42'), or "Pearson", but they do not necessarily all have aft cabins. Two somewhat smaller boats to consider would be the Westsail 32 and the Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31 (again, no aft cabin).

Good luck to you. Please feel free to ask more questions. We understand your English just fine, but many of us also speak French, so if you prefer to post in French that should be okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.