Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Cam

That was supposed to be a joke...see I knew I should have went to collage...cant even communicate that right... OK that dose it... Im now all for hogtieing Livinondreams and enrolling him in school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Still...Irwins are not crap boats. My I44 took me along the whole east coast, bahamas and the keys doing exactly what she was built to do. Crap boats fall apart doing the things they are sold to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Huh?

OK ...remember now I ain't no collage grade...Are you joking with me...?

Im with ya... I cant stand Champagne either but I think I said it right..

My whole post was supposed be funny ...I guess I better leave that to better qualified posters ...Im having to explain WAY to much...

OH Bother....OK Ill be gone for a bit...I have to go stick my head in a bucket of sand now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
Been reading with interest.

And... Well...while I like Sailaway as much as the next guy... and appreciated those that echoed my thoughts here on Sailnet with regard to that bizarre post .... I'm confused as to why such an inflamitory comment as the one above goes unchallenged....!

champagne out of beer?

No sir. Beer out of Champagne.... is what you mean.

...To the point...

What helped me the most when purchasing a boat.... was answering the questions that other sailnet members, friends, brokers etc. had of me. I did end up with a boat that was chartered because it certainly was the right boat for me.

Sounds like you have most of those questions answered. (and may not even be reading this thread anymore.. heh)

Go.. See.. Boats... You're 90% sure which brands are on your list. That's pretty good. Put a broker to work...!

craig
Old 03-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cause the next size up in MacGregors is a Mac 65....(assuming he had a Mac 26) and that's a pretty big step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Hmmm wondering why you bought the Irwin and not a bigger McGregor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2008

mr_lucky is on a distinguished road
How 'Bout Dem Swedes?

Yeah, I own a Catalina, but when I grow up, I'm getting an H-R, Malo or Najad and do some serious cruising. Those Swedish boys know how to build a boat!
Old 04-21-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Smile Sorry, I could not resist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The boat was the largest I felt comfortable with single-handing; but there were some great deals to be had on the Bendytoe 473's and also the really big 50/52/54s coming out of charter. But who in their right mind wants 5 midget-sized heads?
Snow White?????

Old 04-22-2008

thesnort is on a distinguished road
This wins my favorite thread title award. No monetary compensation, just heartfelt gratitude for something that makes me smile each time I look at it.
Old 04-22-2008

HeaveToo is on a distinguished road
Catalinas a barbecue stand? I take offence to that. I have a Catalina 30 and it a great COASTAL cruiser. I would never plan to do anything more than that.

As far as crap yachts a good survey will sort out a lot of issues. Make sure you use a reputal surveyor who is highly reccomended!

Other yachts to consider are Island Packet, Liberty, Cabo Rico, Pacific Seacraft, Caliber, and numerous others.
Old 04-22-2008

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
crap boats

There are certain boats(already mentioned) that are not necessarly crap but should stay in protected waters.There are some not yet mentioned that need to stay at the dock.I have always liked catalins thought of buying couple but did not.Think make good coastal boats & I am not intrested in long voyages.Not as pretty to me as others.Ps have a gulfstar use as coastal.marc
Old 04-22-2008

saildork is on a distinguished road
Talking crappy boats

Gavin and Rebecca
I would recommend you visit pearsonvanguarddotcom. On this site you'll find different ways to evaluate boats and perhaps narrow your search. They have one section which allows you to compare one of the million boats ever made to every other boat ever made. It shows you all the parameters that people normally look at (eg. sail area, disp, LWL, LOA, capsize ratio, etc.). Another section asks you to enter a number of sailing parameters, hit 'enter' and the boats that fit within your range will be displayed.
Ok, time for my rant. Catalinas are exceptionally well built...for their intended purpose. Mine is a 1983 C22 which I love, but I would never go anywhere offshore in it. The C22 has a stouter rig than other boats its size, and this allows me to sail in conditions that would put other small boats in danger of a dismasting. Mine has had only one leak; a window that needed rebedding. I know of a C27 that has made a circumnavigation and some of their larger boats have sailed in the high lattitudes. And Catalinas still look like sailboats, unlike some of their competitors.

Pat Lindsay
'Stargazer'
Huntsville, AL

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.