SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Gulfstar 37's Pro's & Cons (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/38049-gulfstar-37s-pros-cons.html)

Andyman 10-29-2007 01:14 PM

Gulfstar 37's Pro's & Cons

I'm still new to sailing but in the next 5 years I'd like to end up living aboard and sailing mostly in the Pacific. I'm drawn to the Gulfstar 37's. I like the looks, inside and out. But at this point, I really don't know squat. I'd like to get some opinons on these boats...positive and negative.

Thanks!

Andy

Denr 10-29-2007 01:22 PM

They're great boats if you want to sit in a harbor, watch the bad weather roll in a stay dry while in the pilothouse, these are crappy boats to sail, like having a townhouse (the pilothouse) in your way all of the time, there are MUCH better boats, light winds they're like molasses in a Chicago winter.

kvaavik 11-07-2007 12:59 PM

Denr, I think you have the Gulfstar 37 confused with other boats in their line. The 37 is a classic sailboat, no coachhouse. Gulfstar made a bunch of motor cruisers and sailboats that could have been called motor cruisers. But the 37 isn't one of them. It has a fin keel, skeg hung rudder, and a very nice layout for its era.

I've spent years sailing one. First the pluses:
- Reasonable performance for a cruiser. My '77 Gulfstar 37 easily outsailed an '89 Hunter 37 on a 6 hour port to port in the Great Lakes. It's no race sled, but it performs well for a cruiser.
- Roomy cabin with tons of teak. Very pretty and comfortable if it's been maintained.
- Fairly dry boat, the long bow overhand keeps the water off the deck and cockpit.

Minuses:
- The boats from the late '70's, early '80's have osmosis problems. We spent a long spring peeling the outer layer of glass off the hull and recoating with West Systems epoxy.
- Over time, the lifeline stanchions leak. They'll need to be rebedded.
- The engine is a challenge to access. Monkey-like abilities are a big plus.

We loved our '37, but we finally got a bad case of 5'-itis and are moving up to a bigger boat.

I'd be happy to fill in more details if you have more questions, let me know.

RobertLarson 12-09-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvaavik (Post 218999)
I'd be happy to fill in more details if you have more questions, let me know.

We just purchased a 1978 Gulfstar 37 and have a few questions that I would like to ask if you could get in touch with me. Email is robert_AT_rlarson.com.

Thanks

chrisziolkowski 02-15-2009 08:14 PM

gulfstar 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertLarson (Post 235197)
We just purchased a 1978 Gulfstar 37 and have a few questions that I would like to ask if you could get in touch with me. Email is robert_AT_rlarson.com.

Thanks

I have 1978 Gulfstar hall # 102.I am working recently on engine ( replace heat exchange, fresh water pomp with pully, all oil hoses) . Ready to start important project - skeg attachment to the hull( fiber glass reinforcement). Some suggestion ? ,,,,,,,,, some question ? . Write me Email - Chrisazpl @yahoo.com

southwindphoto 06-17-2010 05:04 PM

good read thanks.. Looking at a 79

L124C 08-01-2012 01:03 PM

Re: Gulfstar 37's Pro's & Cons

In case anyone is still linked to this thread: Why not post your questions and answers here instead of email? It's as easy as emailing, and all can benefit.

denverd0n 08-02-2012 10:46 AM

Yeah, I've never quite figured out why so many people come to a public forum like this one, where the whole idea is to share information with the community, and then want to take all of their discussions to PM or e-mail.

DougSabbag 08-02-2012 11:05 AM

For whatever value, I have found Gulfstars to be a good tough boat for the money.
They have "over built" hulls since they were designed before the advent of CAD which allowed a lot less layup (per the computer) to be done to the hull construction.

But, the deck stanchions allow their decks to rot, because they didn't put epoxy around the stanchion bases; so you could have an extensive project in replacing the wood in the deck, and ideally, adding some epoxy where the stanchions bolt through the deck.

Considering the quality of the interior cabins' is mostly veneer, you could also spend a lot of time / effort / money improving that area. Or not, your choice.

If the chainplates in a 37' GS are inside the interior cabin walls, you might want to change those. (see my earlier thread: Triumph) Well, change them anyway. :-)

But, overall, "for the money", a GulfStar is a tough work horse, and will take quite a beating. It is up to you how much pleasure you get out of her.

Midnightflyer 02-07-2013 12:16 PM

Hi, I too have been looking for a 37 Gulfstar. From what I have read it's hard to beat for a reasonably priced cruiser. Any words of wisdom from past owners?