Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007

claritycal36 is on a distinguished road
Expert opinion on a 1968 Cal 36 please

Good day sailors,
If I may be so bold as to ask your opinion on this boat? I have bought her and she is on the hard getting a new engine and a few other small things done to her while I am overseas. My plan is to take her down to the Caribbean and then ??? The survey came back as an excellent, just below outstanding and I am only the 4th owner of the boat. She sails very solid and has no blisters when hauled. What should I lookout for when I get some serious sailing out of her? Thanks again
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Welcome Clarity,

Try these two links as a place to start:

http://www.geocities.com/calwebmaste...odel36Dir.html

http://groups.msn.com/CalSailboatOwn...ID_Message=773

Congrats on your new (to you) boat...
Fred
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 10-30-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
she is on the hard getting a new engine and a few other small things done to her while I am overseas
New engine and a few other small things ????? huh ? Sounds major to me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2007

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
With a new engine and a solid hull (assuming survey was done well), I would next consider replacing the standing rigging and carefully going over the rudder and steering system. Losing the mast or steering in the middle of ocean can make for a bad day!
Old 10-30-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I may be way off base. I have no idea what the boat cost to buy, but with a new engine, new rigging, some updated systems could you not have just bought a different or better boat. We're talking about $20,000 plus on the lite side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2007

The engine was fine, but old and I want an engine that is not only new, but can be serviced around the world. It was a Pathfinder (VW) and not many mechanics would work on it. The rigging was inspected by an expert in the field and he told me it was in excellent condition and not to worry. Thanks for the input on the rudder, I will have the yard take a look at it. The reason the vessel is on the hard is due to the fact that I am in Iraq and the boat is near Annapolis. I feel better having her on the hard, than on the hook while I am accross the globe for a year. Clarity is a well cared for boat and she has been well maintained for close to 40 years. In this regard, I want to have her maintained with as much care as I can. I have been on older boats that people have done some crazy and ugly things to their boats, because they didn't want to spend the money on it. This boat is being cared for by me and when she is sold in a few years, she will go to someone who will take care of her. It's called respect. I want to that you all for your input, it is appreciated. Hopefully some Cal owners will see this and talk about their boats. Fair winds to you all.
Old 11-07-2007

ReganJames is on a distinguished road
Cruising Cal 36

I have a cruising version of this boat, single spreader with stouter mast sections, otherwise rigged the same with a 50hp Perkins. Also had a good hull survey except for leaking diesel tanks which I had to replace (originals were 75 gallons, I had to remanufacture down to 60) - this was work. Did have to re-rig and replace sails as well as rebuild electrical (given its age, these were not sophisticated). Engine only has 980 hrs on it, and this appears real. Boat sails well - good in light air, stout in heavy. Unlike the 39, the hull shape is close to the 40 and performs well. Many people in So. Cal. put very serious money into restoring and upgrading these 36's and the 40's. "She's a keeper".
Old 11-11-2007

ReganJames,
When its all said and done, I will have more money into it than what I paid for it, but it is worth it. She sails like a dream and I really like how solid she is in heavy seas. With a new engine, new water maker, refrigerator, and a paint job, I will be sailing south and then west.