SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

MC 39 Sloop - feedback

11K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  tslane@ymail.com 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience, feedback or opinions on a MC 39 Sloop, apparently 30 were built by Marcos Yachts in Vancouver.

#2 ·
well i think they are very well built boats. if you were going to purchase one i would say you would be very lucky to find one under 100,000 us dollars. i have sailed aboard one and i never was afraid like i get on a hunter or catalina or other production boat.

the marcos 39 is designed to take you around the world in safety and reasonable comfort, for a vessel under 40 feet.

#5 ·
Hey Surfn8054, very cool ;) How do you know which number you've got? What year is it? Whereabouts around the globe are you? I'm a new sailor so am going to learn how to sail on my MC39. So far it seems like a rock-solid boat. We're moored in Blaine, WA and ours is a 1981. No idea which number it is though....:)

#7 ·
Very interesting! Would love to see pics! I don't know how to private message on here but would love to keep in touch via email. There aren't many MC-39 owners out there!! Email is lrob at me.com Shoot me a line and I'll send you some pics of ours also. We just got it in July as well.

#8 ·
I bought my first hull from Markos (note spelling). Not a 39 but he was one of the best builders in the Vancouver area back then. All his boats were very nicely built.

I was on some of his 39's at the time, both complete and not - they would make extremely comfortable homes.

He sold hulls & decks so caveat emptor. It's pretty easy to tell if it was his build though. One trademark was gratings inside with all the edges rounded over. I never cared for it but it was distinctive.

How about some pics?

#9 ·
Yes, our MC39 was built by Markos Yachts in Vancouver. You are totally right. The inside is all slatted doors and vents with rounded corners on everything ;) She's a very solid boat. We're working on getting the diesel stove running soon as it is getting chilly and we just have a little electric cabin heater. Do you know if Markos put the diesel stoves in when he built them? (I'm not sure if it was put in later by the previous owner or not) The beds are smaller than we'd have liked but it does have 2 cabins... Do you guys with MC39's have a nook that converts to a berth? We can see where our table used to fold down but can't figure out how it converted. (As it appears to have been since made to no longer convert) SloopJonB- maybe you've been on my boat before! ;)

#10 ·
Everything Markos did was semi-custom so the heater could go either way. I've seen Tewkesbury solid fuel fireplaces, like the photo, on them for example.

I guarantee those weren't "stock". :D

Attachments

#12 ·
I'm afraid I can't answer that one.

Van Markos did some writing for Good Old Boat magazine a couple of years back - they may be able to help you contact him.

#14 ·
You need 10 or 15 posts to access everything. The fireplace came in several colours - red, black, green & blue that I know of.

I also found that most of the "shiny" is actually bronze, not brass. The eagle handle and trim on the ash drawer is brass, the hood and surround, feet etc. are bronze.

I may have tracked down a black one at a consignment shop - we're going on Tuesday. :)

Reactions: surfn8054
#20 ·
Re: MC 39 Sloop - owner experience

Hey Woody,
Did you look at and/or buy the boat from Seattle. I sent a few emails but the party never responded. Then again it was listed on Craigslist. If you their contact information and you are no longer pursuing the boat, could you pass me the contact info. Thanks man. Dave

I'm looking at a MC39. Any particular things to be on the lookout for, apart from general fiberglass boats of that age?

thanks,
Woody
San Diego

#17 · (Edited)
First, you need to know if Markos finished it or if he sold it as a hull & deck. If the former, I've never heard of any sort of intrinsic problems with them - he was a very good builder and it was his "name" boat. As I noted elsewhere, he did some of, if not THE best work locally at the time and we've had some very good builders around here.

If the latter, as with all home builts, you have to take it case by case. I've seen some that were the equal of anything afloat and others that only a mother could love.

Which one are you looking at? If it's the cheap one in Seattle, I'm virtually certain that was owner completed - the details are unlike Markos' work. It looks pretty well done though. The expensive one with a windshield in Delta is almost certainly his work. Keep in mind I'm only going by the pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.