SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   New To Forum ? about Cabo Rico (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/38125-new-forum-about-cabo-rico.html)

wilsdad 11-01-2007 11:14 AM

New To Forum ? about Cabo Rico

Want to hello to all the people out there I have been lurking for awhile but wanted to post. I have found a boat in my area and wanted some feed back. I am fairly new to sailing but want to continue to do it the rest of my life. The boat is a Cabo Rico 38 cutter rig it is way more boat than I need at the moment but would consider it to fix up over the next several years while I continue to learn more. Have not seen the boat but the owner says it has lots of equip. but does need some work. Just looking for some opinions. I will know more about equip. and see what the owner says it needs, also hopefully some pics.

Brezzin 11-01-2007 11:42 AM

Cabo Rico has always been a boat I've admired. It's a solid BW boat but is not known for it's speed. What year is it and have you had a survay done yet? What work do you actually know about that needs to be done? How do you plan to use it? Live aboard costal crusing or passagemaking?

labatt 11-01-2007 11:44 AM

Cabo Rico makes a great bluewater boat. The CR38 is very good. Usually there is an extensive amount of varnish on Cabo's (and I mean extensive). What year is it? If it's an older one, then the work is probably in the area of rebedding hatches/ports, brightwork, engine, etc.

camaraderie 11-01-2007 12:29 PM

Wilsdad...welcome! I agree that a CR38 in good shape is a great and seaworthy boat. A CR38 in not good shape can be an endless sinkhole of $$ to fix and may make the FIX more expensive than a similar boat in good condition would be worth.
So...whatever you do...don't take ANYONE else's word on the condition of the boat. Get a survey and seatrial and diesel guy to go over her and tell you what is really needed and what the cost will be to fix.

wilsdad 11-01-2007 12:38 PM

The boat is a 1981 and I am just getting started no survey but will hopefully know more today. I am sure I will have a ton of ?'s for the board and look forward to all the resposes.

wilsdad 11-01-2007 12:45 PM

Cam that is what will scare me. I plan on the boat being a weekend boat for the next few years and then hoping to cruise in the islands not long passages.

sailingdog 11-01-2007 01:07 PM

In addition to what Cam suggested, you also might want to have a rigger come out to the boat and do a rigging survey as part of the buying process. Given the boat is over 25 years old, if the rigging hasn't been replaced, it is very likely to be due soon.

countrybumpkin 11-01-2007 01:52 PM

Wilsdad, you don't happen to be in TN or KY do you?

If you do, I saw that boat too. Way underpriced. Although can't believe what one in good shape goes for (80K-170K).

That's a big boat for lake sailing.

There was an Ericson 29 up that way not too long ago, pristine condition, and half the price.

countrybumpkin 11-01-2007 02:59 PM

BTW did you get a response from the owner? I haven't.

Giulietta 11-01-2007 03:43 PM

Wilsdad..I know a secret you will want to know about THAT boat...

But...there is a price...first I want a photo of you.....then I tell you what you want....

slurp.....slurp....the last cabo rico owner....I ate his liver with a nice Chianti.....