Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Cam,
I luvya man, but you gotta lay off the "safety" thing and the A-4. It just isn't born out by years of use and the lack of news about sailboats catching fire because of the gas.

On either of these tubs, I'd go with the 30hp gas over a 12-18HP diesel. If the OP was going far beyond the shore out where y'all play, then get a diesel. For coastal and inland, stay with the gas.

I've also not seen much if any valuation difference between the two.
I will second the notion of running like the wind away from the dreaded volvo. While they are "good" engines, the repairs will kill you.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Another brand, harder to find from the mid 80's, typically 15-25K or so, is a Jeanneu Arcadia, about 29', or the Attallia at 31' or theres abouts. Both can be found with CB's, or with Fin keels at 5.5' in draft. The Arcadia is a lot hrder to find, the Attallia not as hard.

If you are looking for something more stable while at anchor, you might look at some of the full keel style boats, vs fin ro CB model boats too, such as a westsail 28 as an example. Altho this particular boat is slower than a dead slug going backwards!

Otherwise, others have mentioned the typical boats you will find.

Marty
Old 11-05-2007

merttan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Shopping trip to NY...

Well, once again I remembered why I don't like big cities... 7 hours to visit only two brokers.
The catalina I was checking out was a 1982...
* As usual, it had the cat smile and the crack at the back of the keel connection line. Guess what? The broker tells me that is "normal" and even a year old boat would have it...
Stress cracks around corners of the cabin, needs a new gelcoat, railing foots are rusted, bees in the anchor locker, water (about 1.5-2") in bilge, (as someone warned me about the engine compartment) the engine is salted and shaft looks like a rust rod, galley equipment rusted out, the cushions are stained, the carpet (I think I saw it growing legs to walk away),electronics are from the time they were invented ,there is a mold smell in cabin, electrical wirings were done by DIY method, only new thing was the new stereo which wasn't working! ... Oh and my favorite; the vhf antenna was tied to the separator wall in the cabin! I mean tied, not for placing it on the mast when it's stepped, but wired there!

I checked out a Hunter 31 (1985)... Pretty darn clean, to be honest too clean! Someone went through that boat like crazy... (Little shampoo bottles in head, glasses and silverware setup with napkins. For a second I thought we interrupted their dinner or something... Overall; the stress cracks around the lifeline and railing posts, the diesel looks clean but wouldn't know without getting it checked, iced hatches, water in the bilge,etc. etc. etc....

I know that I should be just graceful, but I just want to be on the safe side of the line...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 11-05-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I would recommend an Aloha. The 28, which is also known as the 8.5, is a very big 28 footer, with the headroom, galley space and comfort that you are looking for. They are reasonably quick boats and strongly built. You should be able to get a nice one in your price range. I don't think you'll find many boats out there that are as spacious.

The Aloha 30's are a different animal, built to compete with the Express 30/ CS 30, etc. The 32's and 34's are great boats as well, but nice ones will probably cost more than your budget.

Aloha 28 1974
5 sails, spinnaker. Sleeps five. Pressure water, alcohol stove, icebox, stereo, Autohelm, new upholstery, carpet, shore power, Atomic IV. White on white, red trim. Excellent condition.
CDN $15,900 neg
(705) 429-3363 day
E-mail: bemundle@yahoo.com
Old 11-05-2007

Aloha, arcadia, and attalia...

I haven't heard those guys... Back to the yachtworld.com-mobile (Theme music) ...
The C30T broke my heart today... The fat lady (as we call the wide beam boats in Turkey) was neglected... A lot of promise in that boat with a lot to comprimise... Maybe I should offer him 5K and spend 15K to fix her up? Not a good idea... After a while on dry land, even being aboard on dry dock made my blood excited... I just could picture myself sailing her with her old glory back... Dream, dream, dream... You know the song...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 11-05-2007

Question So when did they?

So when did they used to built boats like tanks? 60s? 70s? I mean since I'm not after speed but durability and comfort... Maybe I should extend my search to older years...
BTW, check out this Dutch ad, 32' admiral, those guys know how to build a boat! Look at the plating of the bow! Darn!

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ck&searchtype=

Old 11-05-2007

Quick note: Everyone who can make it to the LIS next season is invited for a sailing picnic... I'll make sure my wife cooks some good Turkish cuisine... Keep me on my toes for that promise

Old 11-05-2007

Any thought on Buccaneer? Never heard that one... Has a real shoal keel...

Old 11-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Buccaneers aren't known for their sailing characteristics. and thanks for the invite. Turkish cuisine is quite good, used to go to a Turkish restaurant regularly when I lived near WDC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2007

For some reason, NE states don't have any older boats for sale... They don't last around here long?