SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Your advise?

5K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi again,
Well, instead of telling you guys one boat at a time, i decided to ask you directy...
I'm shopping for a 30-32 ft. sailboat as an upgrade from my 22 ft.
I'll list my needs and I'll really appreciate if you can tell me what I should shop for...
*We live in CT, so I'll be using the boat mostly in LIS and/or CT rivers for coastal cruising, and occasional bluewater sailing to Martha's vineyard and Block Island. It can get really choppy around RI so a sailboat that can handle the waters around.
*I have a lot of dingy sailing experience and a little cruiser sailing experience. (I was out 94 days last season:D ) So I'd like to get something easy to control.
*A single hand controlled sailingboat would be nice but not a necessity.
*I'm not really after the speed but comfort. Both under sail or on anchorage. I want a stable sailboat where I can have my dinner from the plate, not from the floor:D
*I'm not really handy about fiberglass repair or heavy mechanical stuff. I'm good at electrical, plumbing, light mechanical (change oil, filter etc), and any elbow grease job aboard. So please let me know which diesels I should stay away from.:eek:
*Me and my wife usually sail by ourselves but when we get guests we have around 4-5 people aboard(which was a big crowd on my 22 footer). Mostly for day sailing and travel not for overnight.
*My wife loves to cook, so we want to get some galley space.;)
*I'm 6'1" so I can use some headspace in the galley. :)
And I'll be in 15-20K range so looking for rather older but reliable boats...
So what's your advise?
So far I liked the catalina and islander bahama 30 footers' layouts...
Thank you all...

See less See more
#2 ·
Merttan...it is nice when someone spells out their needs so clearly so we don't have to guess!
Both the Islander and Catalina would be suitable for your needs. If you go the Catalina route, I would look for a tall rig version for LIS. Other boats you might consider include the Oday 34 and Irwin Citations and Endeavor32's.
There are better built boats in your size/price range but at the sacrifice of a lot of space and the boats I've listed are designed for your type of sailing and cruising grounds.
As far as engines go, I would avoid Volvo diesels and Atomic gas engines if possible. There's nothing wrong with either mfr. but getting parts and the price of those parts is an issue with the Volvo's and many prefer the safety of diesel rather than gas on board so Atomics tend to affect the resale price of the boat.
Hope that is helpful and I'm sure you'll get some other good recommendations. When dealing with a 30 year old boat...keep in mind that the overall maintenance and condition of an individual boat will be far more important to you in the long run than focusing in on one specific make or model given your cruising intentions. Many boats will be suitable...buy the one in the best condition!!

#3 ·
Your price point limits you a lot. Some things to look for in a New England boat.

Shoal draft is very important to anyone wishing to cruise. Many nice places that need 5 feet or less, preferably less.

Pilot house or full enclosure would be nice, it rains a lot. At least look at a boat for how airy it is, you could be stuck down below in a rainy harbor for days at time.

Good powering abilities, light winds are normal.

I ended up with a power boat while there based by Old Saybrook which gave me the ability to visit lots of places with limited time. I always figured if I had to go back something like a Gemini 305 would be an ideal boat. I've never had a multi but seems like NE would be a good place for one, especially with the ability to keep it on a mooring. Out of your price range however.

So I think you should probably look at an older CB fiberglass boat. I doubt you could find a multihull in your price range, unless it's home built.

#5 ·
Good point

Shoal draft is very important to anyone wishing to cruise. Many nice places that need 5 feet or less, preferably less.
I didn't really consider that point... Thanks. But isn't it better for me to have a 5'-5.5' draft for stability that desire on board? Or am I being too conservative about it?

#6 ·
i'll bring some pics this evening...

I'll go to NY today to check out some boats... It'll be fun:D

#8 ·
Merttan-

It really depends on what your primary goals for the boat are. If you're going to be racing her alot...then get the deeper draft... you'll do better as the boat will point higher. If you're really interested in cruising, get a shoal draft boat. There are a lot more interesting places you can go with a shoal draft boat. Also, if you like gunkholing, a shoal draft is a requirement. :D

Finding a 30' boat with over six feet of head room will be a bit of a challenge, but I would also remind you that you need to check out the berths. Doesn't make much sense to get a boat that you can stand up in, if you can't find a place to sleep on it. :D In this regards, us short people got a lot more options. :p

#9 ·
Boats

Hello,

I sail out of Mt. Sinai, NY, the same basic waters as you.

Your budget is going to restrict you to older boats. Nothing wrong with that, but still....

I would look for something smaller, like in the 27-30' range. Back in 2004 I was looking to move from a Catalina 22 to something around 30'. I found that 27-28' boats were a lot cheaper than 30-32' boats. For the same money, you can get a nicer 28', or you can get a comparable boat for less money.

The waters we sail in can be benign, or they can be real rough (especially in May and October). If you really want to go out on those rough days, buy a heavier boat. If you would rather stay home on those days, and sail in July and August, buy a lighter boat.

The Catalina 30 would be a great choice. That was #1 on my list when I wanted to move up. I ended up with a Newport 28, which I was very happy with. Compared to a Catalina 30, the Newport was nicer below (teak and holly sole, leaded glass cabinet doors, padded headliner, etc. The Catalina has lots more room below, but for 2 people, the Newport has more than enough room. I'm not trying to sell you on Newport, just try and note the differences between boats. The galley on the Newport was small, but that is true on almost all boats below 35'.

FYI, I looked at a Islander Bahama 30 - same basic boat as the Catalina, but on this one, the deck was all rotten around the main hatch.

Some other boats you should look at are the O'day 30 and 31. If you can find an O'day 31 they are very nice because they have a small swim platform that makes getting on / off the boat from the water or dingy very easy. I would not recommend the O'day 34 because one in your price range would be in poor condition.

If you can find an older Tartan or Sabre 28-30, they are very nice boats.

Actually, there are many boats out there, including Pearson, C&C (more racy, not as stable), Cal, Ericcson, etc.

Good luck,

Barry

#10 ·
In that size and price range you are probably looking at a boat built in the late 1970s to early 1980s. You should be able to find a 30 footer in good shape, ideally with a diesel and some recent sails. At the top of my list would be boats like the Catalina 30, Pearson 30, ODay 30 and Tartan 30. If racing was on your list, I would also suggest boats like the J-30, Pearson Flyer or Cal 9.2.

#11 ·
Cam,
I luvya man, but you gotta lay off the "safety" thing and the A-4. It just isn't born out by years of use and the lack of news about sailboats catching fire because of the gas.

On either of these tubs, I'd go with the 30hp gas over a 12-18HP diesel. If the OP was going far beyond the shore out where y'all play, then get a diesel. For coastal and inland, stay with the gas.

I've also not seen much if any valuation difference between the two.
I will second the notion of running like the wind away from the dreaded volvo. While they are "good" engines, the repairs will kill you.

#21 ·
Cam,
I luvya man, but you gotta lay off the "safety" thing and the A-4. It just isn't born out by years of use and the lack of news about sailboats catching fire because of the gas.
LOL...well having owned an Atomic and survived...I will agree with you about the danger being over-rated CP. I have always thought the gas models were harder to sell and worth less...but I will bow to your expertise...this once!! :p

As to the Volvo...had one...paid the price. There's a guy with a nice Halberg Rassey at my docks feeling similar pain tonight! :(

All best...

#12 ·
Another brand, harder to find from the mid 80's, typically 15-25K or so, is a Jeanneu Arcadia, about 29', or the Attallia at 31' or theres abouts. Both can be found with CB's, or with Fin keels at 5.5' in draft. The Arcadia is a lot hrder to find, the Attallia not as hard.

If you are looking for something more stable while at anchor, you might look at some of the full keel style boats, vs fin ro CB model boats too, such as a westsail 28 as an example. Altho this particular boat is slower than a dead slug going backwards!

Otherwise, others have mentioned the typical boats you will find.

Marty

#13 ·
Shopping trip to NY...

Well, once again I remembered why I don't like big cities... 7 hours to visit only two brokers.
The catalina I was checking out was a 1982...
* As usual, it had the cat smile and the crack at the back of the keel connection line. Guess what? The broker tells me that is "normal" and even a year old boat would have it...:confused:
Stress cracks around corners of the cabin, needs a new gelcoat, railing foots are rusted, bees in the anchor locker, water (about 1.5-2") in bilge, (as someone warned me about the engine compartment) the engine is salted and shaft looks like a rust rod, galley equipment rusted out, the cushions are stained, the carpet (I think I saw it growing legs to walk away:D),electronics are from the time they were invented :D,there is a mold smell in cabin, electrical wirings were done by DIY method, only new thing was the new stereo which wasn't working!:mad: ... Oh and my favorite; the vhf antenna was tied to the separator wall in the cabin! I mean tied, not for placing it on the mast when it's stepped, but wired there!:eek:

I checked out a Hunter 31 (1985)... Pretty darn clean, to be honest too clean! Someone went through that boat like crazy... (Little shampoo bottles in head, glasses and silverware setup with napkins. For a second I thought we interrupted their dinner or something... Overall; the stress cracks around the lifeline and railing posts, the diesel looks clean but wouldn't know without getting it checked, iced hatches, water in the bilge,etc. etc. etc....

I know that I should be just graceful, but I just want to be on the safe side of the line...

#14 ·
I would recommend an Aloha. The 28, which is also known as the 8.5, is a very big 28 footer, with the headroom, galley space and comfort that you are looking for. They are reasonably quick boats and strongly built. You should be able to get a nice one in your price range. I don't think you'll find many boats out there that are as spacious.

The Aloha 30's are a different animal, built to compete with the Express 30/ CS 30, etc. The 32's and 34's are great boats as well, but nice ones will probably cost more than your budget.

Aloha 28 1974
5 sails, spinnaker. Sleeps five. Pressure water, alcohol stove, icebox, stereo, Autohelm, new upholstery, carpet, shore power, Atomic IV. White on white, red trim. Excellent condition.
CDN $15,900 neg
(705) 429-3363 day
E-mail: bemundle@yahoo.com

#15 ·
Aloha, arcadia, and attalia...

I haven't heard those guys... Back to the yachtworld.com-mobile (Theme music) ...
The C30T broke my heart today... The fat lady (as we call the wide beam boats in Turkey) was neglected... A lot of promise in that boat with a lot to comprimise... Maybe I should offer him 5K and spend 15K to fix her up? Not a good idea... After a while on dry land, even being aboard on dry dock made my blood excited... I just could picture myself sailing her with her old glory back... Dream, dream, dream... You know the song...
:eek:

#16 ·
#17 ·
Quick note: Everyone who can make it to the LIS next season is invited for a sailing picnic... I'll make sure my wife cooks some good Turkish cuisine... Keep me on my toes for that promise :)

#18 ·
Any thought on Buccaneer? Never heard that one... Has a real shoal keel...

#19 ·
Buccaneers aren't known for their sailing characteristics. :D and thanks for the invite. Turkish cuisine is quite good, used to go to a Turkish restaurant regularly when I lived near WDC.

#20 ·
For some reason, NE states don't have any older boats for sale... They don't last around here long?

#23 ·
specific boats / brokers

Hello,

I don't know how far you are willing to travel, but I can give you two brokers who are very good and trustworthy.

Warren Trafton, at Sailing Yachts Rhode Island, sold me my current boat. He is honest and a good guy to talk to.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...hosturl=syri&page=broker&slim=broker&lineonly
It looks like he has an Endeavour, Cal, and maybe a few other boats that would meet your needs.

Tim Mariner at McMichael Yacht Brokers is another good guy. I bought my Newport 28 from Tim.

http://www.mcmichaelyachtbrokers.com/

They have a few boats that would be OK too.

If you speak to either guy, please say hello for me.

Good luck,
Barry

#25 ·
I was there today...

Hello,

I don't know how far you are willing to travel, but I can give you two brokers who are very good and trustworthy.

Warren Trafton, at Sailing Yachts Rhode Island, sold me my current boat. He is honest and a good guy to talk to.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...hosturl=syri&page=broker&slim=broker&lineonly
It looks like he has an Endeavour, Cal, and maybe a few other boats that would meet your needs.

Tim Mariner at McMichael Yacht Brokers is another good guy. I bought my Newport 28 from Tim.

http://www.mcmichaelyachtbrokers.com/

They have a few boats that would be OK too.

If you speak to either guy, please say hello for me.

Good luck,
Barry
Pretty straight up guys... Not really interested on a small fish like me though:eek: ...

#24 ·
Sadly...

There a lot of really good motorboats, since the price of gas is too high to run those mammoths... But a little selection of sailboats...
All I can find was three options:
Santana ... Anybody?
O'day... fine, I'll take your word for it and go check it out :)
Buccaneer... Not a good sailer, Sailhog said...

Oday seems to be the only outstanding option for today's search...
30' sloop, new this and new that, bla bla... oh 3' draft... nice! oh, it's a center keel... 3'6" up, 7'2" down... I didnt know O'days had that?

#27 ·
Buccaneer 32?

Hi again,
So any knowledge on Buccaneer 32? I just can find info on 24-27' models online. It's made by bayliner in 70s and that's pretty much all I can find...:confused:

There are some good deals at upstate NY... Fresh water sailed boats... Is anyone has an idea about transportation costs? It's about 600miles...

#28 ·
Hi Merttan ,
For what your going to do with the boat it sounds like the two you started out with would be good choices . The Islander is one of my personal favorites having owned one . I love that boat , its got everything going for it that your looking for . The Catalina is probably just as good although I have friends that owned them I have not spent much time aboard under-sail , probably less than a week in all . So my bias is in favor of the Islander only because of the amont of time I have spent on my own . Its a very forgiving , fast boat that loves weather. The cockpit is more than generous for a boat of her size .
I dont know how many your going to find in your neigborhood so that may affect your purchase however finding a Catalina is usually not a problem and may lend its self to bargan hunting . The Buccaneer I have no clue . At this point I think it boils down to which one you like the looks of , they are both just fine for what your looking to do .

Happy hunting,
Paul

#30 ·
For the smaller bayliner bucaneers, ie under 27', I would skip those personally, The 30 and 32 were reasonable sailers IIRC. With one if not both of those being designed by Bill Garden, the 30IIRC was definetly designed by him. Rinell (sp?)a power boat company at the time also had a pretty atrocious looking and semi atrocious sailing boat also.

marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.