SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Survey or Not??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/38309-survey-not.html)

PorFin 11-07-2007 03:13 PM

Survey or Not???

Greetings all -- got a bit of a poser for the sages in this forum. (Some of this is intentionally vague to protect the parties involved.)

The Admiral & I seem to be approaching the end of our purchasing hunt, and have found a strong candidate. The vessel is a medium-sized cruiser that should sell for about $100K.

The vessel in question was taken as a trade-in by a very reputable dealer who is now in the process of readying her for resale. Prior to accepting her for trade, the dealer had her surveyed and is correcting those items identified on the survey.

If this vessel were being purchased from the original owner, there's no question that I'd have an extensive survey performed as a condition of the sale.

The $64K question is: Would you invest in an additional survey as added protection?

Many thanks in advance,
PF

AjariBonten 11-07-2007 03:17 PM

A fresh survey, with YOU as the Client of the surveyor, would be a small price compared to the 100K + investment.

My understanding is that surveys can vary to some degree depending upon who is requesting it and for what reason.

Also, you get to look over the surveyors shoulder and hear for yourself the "uh-huh"s and "Hmmmmmm"s

Invaluable experience.

Waterrat 11-07-2007 03:20 PM

Yes If you are spending a 100K a survey is a small expence and a big cover your a$$. Is it really worth the risk? Yes it is probaly fine but if it is not you may pay a whole lot more in the long run.

camaraderie 11-07-2007 03:21 PM

Yes. And I would also have a diesel mechanic separately evaluate her engine and test the engine on sea trial with him aboard.

Cruisingdad 11-07-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie (Post 219114)
Yes. And I would also have a diesel mechanic separately evaluate her engine and test the engine on sea trial with him aboard.

I ditto that.

TrueBlue 11-07-2007 03:34 PM

Chances are you're like most boatbuyers and don't have 100k lying around and will need to finance a boat loan. If so, check with your lender to determine if they will accept a dealer's surveyor report, or insist upon one hired by you.

swadiver 11-07-2007 03:39 PM

A marine survey, mechanical survey and rig survey hired and reporting directly to you is a must. The last boat I bought, the dealer wanted me to use a 2 month old survey. Only problems was it was not even hauled out for the survey. It was called an above the waterline survey. It is better to see the survey happen with your own eyes. You also learn alot about the boat and its systems. Good luck.

swadiver 11-07-2007 03:41 PM

I also had to provide a recent survey to secure insurance for the boat.

btrayfors 11-07-2007 03:59 PM

Get your own separate surveys (plural): boat, engine, rigging. Absolutely.

One small overlooked item could cost you many thousands of dollars. Nothin's cheap these days.

Bill

Slooptattoo 11-07-2007 04:05 PM

Most definately get your OWN surveyor, and as advised earlier, get a diesel surveyor and I would also have a rigger do a survey as well. A small investment. Happy Sailing!!