Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007

Whitebear is on a distinguished road
Custom Boat Building a series of Questions

Each custom boat builder claims to build the best etc. How does a person know or check that a boat is properly built? I am thinking/considering a pedigree custom catamaran. Does anyone have experience with their boats? How do they measure up etc?

Thanks for any advice and help in advance

Whitebear
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It really depends on the builder. Are you getting a custom boat from a small boutique builder, or from a larger manufacturer. BTW, if it is from Charter Cats*, run like hell. Also, what material are they making the boat from. Multihulls are often made in three very different ways:

1) Foam cored fiberglass laminate
2) Wood cored fiberglass laminate
3) Cold-molded wood composite.

Be aware, that while there are some similarities between the last two, they are clearly not the same thing. If you gave more information about the specific builder or boat in question, it would help in getting decent feedback...since as the comp sci people say—garbage in ==> garbage out.

* Google for Bumfuzzle catamaran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2007

Whitebear is on a distinguished road
They use an airex foam core process. I am thinking in terms of round world sailing machine. I figure a 60 ft cat should do the job in terms of weight/gear etc. Debating going possible fly bridge design. Pedigree Yachts is located in Washington State

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions

Whitebear
Old 11-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
From what I understand, Airex is one of the preferred core materials for multihulls, since Airex is a ductile foam, and doesn't tend to transfer impact through to the inner skin of a laminate as much as end-grain balsa or a rigid foam, like Divinylcell.

However, I am not familiar with Pedigree yatchs, and have not seen any of their boats or heard any issues with their production methods, either good or bad. However, I will ask a few of my friends about them and see what I can find out.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-12-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebear View Post
Each custom boat builder claims to build the best etc. How does a person know or check that a boat is properly built? I am thinking/considering a pedigree custom catamaran. Does anyone have experience with their boats? How do they measure up etc?

Thanks for any advice and help in advance

Whitebear

You have to crash learn a lot..you need to go there every week or every 2 weeks and see what is being done and how it is being done.

You request certificates of everything that goes in your boat, you rent a hotle room near the place its being built and spend many days and nights thinking how you want the final product.

If you are not mechanically minded or know nothing about boats or building the...don't even go there...you'll lose. If you are all that I mention before but rich, hire a guy to do it for you...if you are none, and have no money...go buy another boat, a Custom is not for you.

A custom means little of you goes in the boat, not just the money..hence the custom...

Get ready for frustration, headache and many hours looking for stuff..if the gear is part of the supply by the builder....repeat all the above. If it is not...get used to call Harken and Lewmar tech support staff by their first names....

Defenetely Divinycell...make sure application os by vaccum. request FG certificates and gell coat provenience. request had applied FG..request kevlar and CF reinforcments...

You are about to embatk a horror road, but if and once you get to the end of it...IT WILL BE A UNIQUE PIECE..

Believe me...I know about it....
Old 11-12-2007

7Psych is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
If you are not mechanically minded or know nothing about boats or building the...don't even go there...you'll lose. If you are all that I mention before but rich, hire a guy to do it for you...if you are none, and have no money...go buy another boat, a Custom is not for you.

A custom means little of you goes in the boat, not just the money..hence the custom...

Get ready for frustration, headache and many hours looking for stuff..if the gear is part of the supply by the builder....repeat all the above. If it is not...get used to call Harken and Lewmar tech support staff by their first names....

Defenetely Divinycell...make sure application os by vaccum. request FG certificates and gell coat provenience. request had applied FG..request kevlar and CF reinforcments...

You are about to embatk a horror road, but if and once you get to the end of it...IT WILL BE A UNIQUE PIECE..

Believe me...I know about it....
EXCELLENT ADVISE!! ++++++100000000000