SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Potential Cat 30 for ME!!!!

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  punjabi 
#1 ·
I went and took a look a this boat and really like it. Seems like it just needs some cleaning, but I'm a real novice and will have a survey done.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=5184&url=

It's definitely priced on the high end, so there will be some negotiations I'm sure.

One thing I noticed that stood out was the engine. It doesn't look like the standard Universal 25s that I've seen on other Catalinas of this vintage. Does anyone recognize it and/or know anything about it?

I'd really appreciate any comments or thought on this particular boat.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks nice, yes very high priced. What worries me the most is that you say it looks like it just needs some cleaning. There is no such thing as a boat that just needs some cleaning. Sorry, don't mean to be negative, just realistic. Of course, a clean good looking boat goes a long way in how well she has been cared for. I hope that she is even better than she looks if you go that way.

#3 ·
Looks good.... but, as you say, pricey. Don't recognize the engine per se, but that's the standard Yanmar colour.

Eyes open, tight grip on your checkbook........

#4 ·
I'd agree that it looks good and that the engine looks like a diesel replacement...possibly a Yanmar...

I'd also have to agree that very few boats just need a cleaning... most will have something that needs either repairing or replacing. It is pretty much a fact of life with sailboats. :D

#5 ·
It looks like it is in nice shape. It would be nice for you if you were able to get someinformation on her from the PO regarding what maintenance/repairs have been done. This, combined with the surveyor's report, may give you an idea of what your outlay could be over the next couple of years.

#7 ·
My only comment would be that in doing a search on Yachtworld yours seems to be priced on the higher end.

For that money I'd expect a "cleaner" boat to justify the higher price. Cleanliness equals pride of ownership. What else did the PO let go?

Best of luck.

#9 ·
That listing offers remarkably little info for a $38,000 C30. What's the condition of the sail inventory? When was the hull last painted? May sound silly, but the canvas work looks a little shoddy. It's impossible to tell from the listing, but it could easily be priced as much as $10,000 over what it's really worth. Check it out, but definitely keep your options open.

#10 ·
Here's one I found on the C30 Int'l Assoc listings. A lot more info, a lot less money, a little newer. Don't know where it's based, but it gives you an idea of what these boats are worth. Good luck, cap'n!

19 July 2007 - 1989 Catalina 30 Mk II, #5637, wing keel, standard rig, clean lightly used northern boat in excellent condition. Well equipped for cruising with many recent updates including: Furling Genoa (2002), Foss Rudder (2007), Balmar High Output Alternator (2001), Balmar Smart Voltage Regulator (2006), West Battery Isolator (2006), 2 House and 1 Starter Battery (2006), Heart Interface Inverter/Charger (110 always available), 3 Blade Prop, S.S. Shaft and cutlass bearing (2003), Stuffing Box and Coupling (2006), Bilge Pump and Electronic Switch (2007), Lifelines (2007), Oberdorfer Raw Water Pump (2007), Starter Motor (2006), Beckson Cockpit port (2007). Also includes: Dodger, Bimini and Connector (navy blue), Cockpit Cushions, Single line furler, Adler-Barber Refrigeration, Interior Cushions (cranberry) in excellent condition, Data Marine Knot Meter and Depth Sounder (refurbished by DMI 2007), ST 4000 Auto Pilot, Horizon VHF, Electric Head with Macerator, Lifesling. Universal 23 hp with 730 hours, always maintained, runs excellent. Gelcoat is in excellent condition with minimal nicks, topsides shine (Poli-Glow). Bottom is in excellent condition, just painted, no Catalina Smile. Recent Survey. In water, ready to sail, possible 2007 mooring. One of the best C-30's around, fairly priced at $33k firm. Call 781-994-1008 weekdays or e-mail dmaxwell@saba.com.

#11 ·
Man, you folks are a great sounding board!

Believe it or not, I love getting shot down by you guys. It is so easy to see everything that you love about the boat and see yourself enjoying it and not see the negatives. I've got a little more time to post this AM, so I'll rattle on about my experience.

My wife and I went down to Dana Point to look at a couple of boats. They were both '88 Cat 30s.

The first one was used as a "secondary" home for an out of state owner :eek: and it showed. As much as it was described as "clean, clean, clean", it was not. What was also weird was that my head touched the cabin top when I stood at the center of the boat below decks. I am 6' and should be able to stand up without stooping. That didn't really catch my attention until we looked at the second boat (where I stood up straight with no contact). Any chance the cabin top could be sagging? It felt solid when I was stomping around on the top.

The second boat (the one I originally posted about) was a different story. The deck and topsides needed some polish and wax, but other than that, looked OK. Running rigging looked a bit weathered, but not bad enough to require replacement. Standing rigging looked OK. Mast could use some paint around base. Spreaders need some paint. Shrouds and stays look fine. All lines lead aft, solid vang, self tailing winches (except for port cabin top). I stomped around like a retard on the deck and it felt nice and solid to me (as if I know what the hell I'm doing). The canvas actually looked pretty good to me...dusty from the fires and winds, but there were no rips or worn areas.

Cabin was very clean and smelled fresh. That hasn't happened in the handful of boats that I've looked at. I even stuck my head down near the holding tanks and there was only a faint smell of human sludge :) As this was probably the cleanest Cat 30 I've seen so far, I spent a little more time than usual on it. I climbed around and looked for any signs of leakage at the hull to deck joint. Checked as many chainplates as I could. Opened all of the hatches and looked for signs of leaks. Looked at as many through-hulls and plumbing as possible. Everything looked clean. I think the scat pipes (poo plumbing) may have even been replaced between the tank and head. The only area that looked a bit neglected was the bilge. There was some standing water (maybe half an inch) around the keel bolts and they were pretty rusted, but probably just surface rust. I checked the float switch and it was working. The engine compartment looked a little dingy for my tastes (I clean and detail the engines on my vehicles, so that gives you a little taste of my psychological profile). There was rust on the engine mounts and substantial surface corrosion on the bronze components, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with some bronze brushes and a six-pack.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the original engine isn't in there? My understanding is that the Cats of that vintage only came with the Universal diesel. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'll go do some research on catalina30.com as well.

One thing that I really didn't like was where the radar dome was mounted. The owner had it mounted on a substantial pole on the stern (you can see it in the pictures). For whatever reason, that really irked me and I think the first thing I would do is move it to the mast. and remove the pole (it's nice hardware, so I imagine I could sell it). That would leave me some holes to patch.

I didn't look at the sail inventory or quality as I really am not qualified to have an opinion on that yet (I'm a complete novice). I'm sure there are tons of things that I didn't look at that are important. Anyhow, in my mind, it passed the smell test, literally and figuratively, and I'm contemplating making an offer (maybe $28k or 70%)). Of course the offer is going to seem like a crazy lowball to the seller, but it is what it is. If accepted, then the surveyor hopefully finds all of the stuff that I overlooked. By the way, the broker said it has been on the market for two months and there have been no offers.

Plan B is to keep looking. I occasionally walk the docks in Long Beach to look for boats that are for sale. The ones that are for sale always look a bit neglected. It is the 20 year old boats in Bristol condition that aren't. I also check Yachtworld, but it really seems like there isn't much inventory turnover.

Thanks to everyone.

Sailhog..thanks for that listing. Looks like it is in MA and a really good deal. Anyone want to sail it over to So Cal for me?:D

#13 ·
Interesting that you found different headroom on two boats of the same vintage....

Anyhow you seem to have the right attitude, and if the Cat 30 is what you are set on at least you have literally hundreds to choose from (probably in California alone)

I was chastised recently for stating that a Cat 36 was underpriced at $35K..... apparently that's book value for those... so that makes the $38K pretty high for a 30. It should be pristine and well updated to justify that price. I suspect the lack of offers is due to the unrealistic tag.

Hard to say why (or if) the engine may have been changed... the universal is generally a good powerplant, quiet and parts are not too pricey. Hopefully you will be able to get that info from the broker or the PO.

Good Luck.

#14 ·
On second look, the engine looks just like mine, an M3-20. The cabin could have sagged and then been repaired, but still sitting at the lower height. Good thing you caught that, stay away from that one.

#16 ·
Our brokers here in Dana Point seem to set prices unreasonably high. There is a lot of foot traffic and I think they get a lot of walk-ins that do not understand the market now. I do not know this particular boat, but I can tell you that from time to time you will see nice Catalina 30s for sale and go for under $20,000 all the time. I had one about two years ago, a 1985, that was pretty nice, though not as nice as the first one you mentioned. I had it on the market for almost a year at $24,000, then I listed it at $17,000 for a while. Finally donated it to the Boy Scouts.
The used boat market right now is a buyers' market. Very few boats are moving unless they are very attractively priced. I think the appropriate price would be under $25,000.

#22 ·
I got a copy of the original order form for the boat, and it was ordered with the M25 (non B). The B is what they're currently installing in the C28 MKII and C310 (which is 26hp...nice!)

I wonder why the re-power on a newer than 20 year boat. Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.