Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007

punjabi is on a distinguished road
Potential Cat 30 for ME!!!!

I went and took a look a this boat and really like it. Seems like it just needs some cleaning, but I'm a real novice and will have a survey done.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=5184&url=

It's definitely priced on the high end, so there will be some negotiations I'm sure.

One thing I noticed that stood out was the engine. It doesn't look like the standard Universal 25s that I've seen on other Catalinas of this vintage. Does anyone recognize it and/or know anything about it?

I'd really appreciate any comments or thought on this particular boat.

Thanks in advance to all of you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Looks nice, yes very high priced. What worries me the most is that you say it looks like it just needs some cleaning. There is no such thing as a boat that just needs some cleaning. Sorry, don't mean to be negative, just realistic. Of course, a clean good looking boat goes a long way in how well she has been cared for. I hope that she is even better than she looks if you go that way.

Vaya con Dios
Old 11-11-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Looks good.... but, as you say, pricey. Don't recognize the engine per se, but that's the standard Yanmar colour.

Eyes open, tight grip on your checkbook........
Old 11-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd agree that it looks good and that the engine looks like a diesel replacement...possibly a Yanmar...

I'd also have to agree that very few boats just need a cleaning... most will have something that needs either repairing or replacing. It is pretty much a fact of life with sailboats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
It looks like it is in nice shape. It would be nice for you if you were able to get someinformation on her from the PO regarding what maintenance/repairs have been done. This, combined with the surveyor's report, may give you an idea of what your outlay could be over the next couple of years.
Old 11-12-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Being as it is listed as a 25HP Diesel, it would not be a gas universal. Looks like a 3 cyl Yanmar to me If I had to guess what it is.

marty
Old 11-12-2007

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
My only comment would be that in doing a search on Yachtworld yours seems to be priced on the higher end.

For that money I'd expect a "cleaner" boat to justify the higher price. Cleanliness equals pride of ownership. What else did the PO let go?

Best of luck.
Old 11-12-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Not that it hasn't already been said, but that's an extremely pricey Cat 30 for a 1980's vintage. Be sure to cross shop it with others in your area. One good thing about shopping Cat 30's is the selection. There should be plenty of supply so you can be picky and get a good value.

Old 11-12-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
That listing offers remarkably little info for a $38,000 C30. What's the condition of the sail inventory? When was the hull last painted? May sound silly, but the canvas work looks a little shoddy. It's impossible to tell from the listing, but it could easily be priced as much as $10,000 over what it's really worth. Check it out, but definitely keep your options open.
Old 11-12-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Here's one I found on the C30 Int'l Assoc listings. A lot more info, a lot less money, a little newer. Don't know where it's based, but it gives you an idea of what these boats are worth. Good luck, cap'n!

19 July 2007 - 1989 Catalina 30 Mk II, #5637, wing keel, standard rig, clean lightly used northern boat in excellent condition. Well equipped for cruising with many recent updates including: Furling Genoa (2002), Foss Rudder (2007), Balmar High Output Alternator (2001), Balmar Smart Voltage Regulator (2006), West Battery Isolator (2006), 2 House and 1 Starter Battery (2006), Heart Interface Inverter/Charger (110 always available), 3 Blade Prop, S.S. Shaft and cutlass bearing (2003), Stuffing Box and Coupling (2006), Bilge Pump and Electronic Switch (2007), Lifelines (2007), Oberdorfer Raw Water Pump (2007), Starter Motor (2006), Beckson Cockpit port (2007). Also includes: Dodger, Bimini and Connector (navy blue), Cockpit Cushions, Single line furler, Adler-Barber Refrigeration, Interior Cushions (cranberry) in excellent condition, Data Marine Knot Meter and Depth Sounder (refurbished by DMI 2007), ST 4000 Auto Pilot, Horizon VHF, Electric Head with Macerator, Lifesling. Universal 23 hp with 730 hours, always maintained, runs excellent. Gelcoat is in excellent condition with minimal nicks, topsides shine (Poli-Glow). Bottom is in excellent condition, just painted, no Catalina Smile. Recent Survey. In water, ready to sail, possible 2007 mooring. One of the best C-30’s around, fairly priced at $33k firm. Call 781-994-1008 weekdays or e-mail dmaxwell@saba.com.