Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014

sony2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: CS36 Merlin

There is one for sale at the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club. Its been well kept.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014

fast2tack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
The Merlins were built to a higher standard than the CS36T
I respectfully disagree.

The Traditional is a better built boat.
The "t" has a solid glass "overbuilt" hull and the Merlin has a cored hull. Although cored might be lighter and possibly stronger when new....I prefer the solid glass hull of the "T" on a 30-35 year old boat.

All the options in the world don't make the Merlin a better built vessel.

I worked at CS yachts in the early 80's, in all facets of production, sales and commissioning.
The CS 36 Traditional's were well built and some of the best of Canadian boat building of the era. The Traditional has a loyal following and although they are over 30 years old, have held their value and the reputation as a above average "blue water" vessel.

Delivered them on both coasts and they are a pleasure to sail.

The Merlin is a whole other "animal".

Raymond Wall design (Trad.) of Camper & Nicholson fame vs. Tony Castro design (Merlin). The Merlin is a "pan" boat and has had problems with "shifting" or "cracking" as a result of the mast "butt" stressing the pan and it manifests in a nice crack on the starboard salon settee bunk. Just lift up the cushion and most have some signs of stress or complete failure in that area.

Of note is the fact that Merlin's are now priced the same as Traditionals in the current market. Back in 2008 Merlins were selling for close to a $100K in the last 5 years they have dropped down to around $60K the same as a well equipped CS 36 Traditional.

The Merlin offers a "euro" look and an interior closer to what the market is currently looking for BUT the Traditional is a better built boat.....hands down.
Just ask "Boatpoker" a well respected expert Marine Surveyor or "Mainesail" who has the most beautifully "reno'd" CS 36 T I have ever seen.
jimrafford likes this.

Last edited by fast2tack; 02-01-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I gotta agree, and I looked a a couple CS 36Ts and a Merlin. While I liked the layout and space of the Merlin, the Traditional is the only boat of the two that I would have considered. The solid glass hull hold up better over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 02-02-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast2tack View Post
Just ask "Boatpoker" a well respected expert Marine Surveyor or "Mainesail" who has the most beautifully "reno'd" CS 36 T I have ever seen.
Ours has approx 70,000nm under her keel including an "almost" circumnavigation. She has zero crazing, cracking or any signs of wear even after 35 years. Her only issue is some spots of dry deck delamination/pops, our boat was one of two that had this happen, and that was factored into the price. The previous owner sailed 60k nm with these deck "pops" and we continue to sail with them because they are not high on my priority list and they are more annoying than structural issues. When I get to painting the decks I will repair them but for now, no need.

We too looked at Merlins and preferred the more robust construction of the 36T... I like the interior / aft cabin of the Merlin though. We also looked at the Nonsuch line but after living vicariously through many other boat owners, who have had extensive hull moisture repair bills, we decided a non-cored hull was a priority for us.. We also preferred the more graceful lines of the 36T but that is more personal preference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-02-2014

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Always thought Raymond Wall could have designed a real sweet CS40 to complement the 36T, 33 has always seemed a little tight throughout to me, but another nice RW design & CS build.
Old 02-02-2014

fast2tack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Always thought Raymond Wall could have designed a real sweet CS40 to complement the 36T, 33 has always seemed a little tight throughout to me, but another nice RW design & CS build.
Hi Rugosa,
Answered your PM. Looks like we crossed paths back in the day!
Old 03-15-2014

JulieMac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.

The Traditional is a better built boat.
The "t" has a solid glass "overbuilt" hull and the Merlin has a cored hull. Although cored might be lighter and possibly stronger when new....I prefer the solid glass hull of the "T" on a 30-35 year old boat.

All the options in the world don't make the Merlin a better built vessel.

I worked at CS yachts in the early 80's, in all facets of production, sales and commissioning.
The CS 36 Traditional's were well built and some of the best of Canadian boat building of the era. The Traditional has a loyal following and although they are over 30 years old, have held their value and the reputation as a above average "blue water" vessel.

Delivered them on both coasts and they are a pleasure to sail.

Raymond Wall design (Trad.) of Camper & Nicholson fame vs. Tony Castro design (Merlin). The Merlin is a "pan" boat and has had problems with "shifting" or "cracking" as a result of the mast "butt" stressing the pan and it manifests in a nice crack on the starboard salon settee bunk. Just lift up the cushion and most have some signs of stress or complete failure in that area.
What do you mean about the Merlin being a pan boat? How is the mast attached to the keel, versus the design style of the Traditional?
Old 03-24-2014

Quote:

Of note is the fact that Merlin's are now priced the same as Traditionals in the current market. Back in 2008 Merlins were selling for close to a $100K in the last 5 years they have dropped down to around $60K the same as a well equipped CS 36 Traditional.

The Merlin offers a "euro" look and an interior closer to what the market is currently looking for BUT the Traditional is a better built boat.....hands down.
Hi, Fast2Tack. Don't have enough posts to PM you. Thanks for the info, and I will call. Essentially, I was asking if you know anything about the CS 40's. Are they the same construction as the Merlins, or more robust? Did they have this same pan construction and stress cracking issues?
Old 03-24-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Hi, Fast2Tack. Don't have enough posts to PM you. Thanks for the info, and I will call. Essentially, I was asking if you know anything about the CS 40's. Are they the same construction as the Merlins, or more robust? Did they have this same pan construction and stress cracking issues?
Julie, the CS40 is a "pan" or full liner boat like the Merlins.
Old 03-24-2014

Thanks, BP. If we go look at one of them, we'll have to pay close attention to signs of stress. If you saw that either on the 40 or Merlin, would it be advised as a deal breaker? I wonder if it's a repairable situation, or if it's inevitable to occur?