Local boat buying assistance - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 284 Old 09-17-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
I just joined this board yesterday and do not have the 10 postings to IM another member. So, I am posting this with the hope that member Ibdavis who posted on page 8 of this thread that he would be willing to check out a boat in Portland Maine will see this. Or, if someone can IM him and ask him to please email me at hank nine seven five two at yahoo dot com There is a 28 foot Pearson Triton in his area I would like him to have a look see for me. Thank you. Hank
hank288 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 284 Old 10-27-2009
Jerr - Shipwright, rigger
 
MyBoatWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Southern California from Santa Barbara to San Diego

I'm a shipwright, rigger & professional sailor and am happy to make initial inspections - I've saved folks a lot of headaches this way. Santa Barbara to San Diego. - Jerr
MyBoatWorks is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to MyBoatWorks For This Useful Post:
jjstick (01-13-2016)
post #103 of 284 Old 10-27-2009
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 15
         
You do understand that these "initial inspections" would have to be FREE... if you're looking to charge for your services, you're violating the terms of service. I'd also point out that you really need to read the Full Disclosure Thread for the forums here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoatWorks View Post
I'm a shipwright, rigger & professional sailor and am happy to make initial inspections - I've saved folks a lot of headaches this way. Santa Barbara to San Diego. - Jerr

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #104 of 284 Old 10-27-2009
Jerr - Shipwright, rigger
 
MyBoatWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
You do understand that these "initial inspections" would have to be FREE... if you're looking to charge for your services, you're violating the terms of service. I'd also point out that you really need to read the Full Disclosure Thread for the forums here.
Hi SailingDog,
I am happy to do this in my travels from one marina to another, free of charge. This spring I saved a guy in Vancouver from a survey on a 49' boat that was, shall we say, mis-advertised and he said he'd buy me lunch as a thank-you if he ever came to Los Angeles but that wasn't the reason I helped - I'd like to have a non-biased, expert set of eyes to just see if a boat's reasonably like it's advertised, myself.

I'll write more in my profile tonight and hopefully give folks an idea of who I am and what I'm doing. Briefly, I believe our community's what we make it and am surprised and disappointed more professionals don't help in the forums and blogs - It's good for everyone. In this spirit, I've got a blog that's free to all, in which I write in-depth (far too much in depth for forums such as these!) in boat repair and seamanship. If you read it, you'll see I pull no punches with any dogma and it's packed with terrific, practical advice. I'm looking forward to giving the same, here. I wish more boating professionals and in particular, manufacturers, would participate in public blogs and forums such as this. There is really only so much expertise recreational boaters have in technical subjects and I feel I can help.

Thanks for pointing me to the note you've got on commercialism - I fully agree with it. If I've got a brief article I've written on my blog someone asks about here, I'll copy and paste it but there's a number of articles I've written that are simply too large, have videos and pictures, etc. and not appropriate here. It's only natural for me to refer to various references and I have several times, today, here. If I've published a significant article that's not appropriate here that someone specifically asks for, I'll mention it but that's a rarity - I reference whatever I'm answering in chat, blog, etc. and the most interesting materials generally come from manufacturers. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm looking forward to being a great part of sailnet and enjoying the people I'm meeting.

I'm happy to learn the ins and outs of etiquette here and am not proud, so please let me know if I've inadvertently stepped on anyone's toes. Thanks!

Cheers!
- Jerr
MyBoatWorks is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #105 of 284 Old 10-27-2009
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Shipislandpirate
I am looking for someone to view/inspect a boat with me this weekend..10-31-09 The boat is located in Cedarville, Mi..on the SE coast of the Upper Peninsula about 30 miles from the Mackinaw Bridge....Please contact me if you have any ideas or suggestions....

John
Shipislandpirate is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #106 of 284 Old 10-28-2009
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 15
         
Jerr—

Welcome aboard, and thank you for clarifying your offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoatWorks View Post
Hi SailingDog,
I am happy to do this in my travels from one marina to another, free of charge. This spring I saved a guy in Vancouver from a survey on a 49' boat that was, shall we say, mis-advertised and he said he'd buy me lunch as a thank-you if he ever came to Los Angeles but that wasn't the reason I helped - I'd like to have a non-biased, expert set of eyes to just see if a boat's reasonably like it's advertised, myself.

I'll write more in my profile tonight and hopefully give folks an idea of who I am and what I'm doing. Briefly, I believe our community's what we make it and am surprised and disappointed more professionals don't help in the forums and blogs - It's good for everyone. In this spirit, I've got a blog that's free to all, in which I write in-depth (far too much in depth for forums such as these!) in boat repair and seamanship. If you read it, you'll see I pull no punches with any dogma and it's packed with terrific, practical advice. I'm looking forward to giving the same, here. I wish more boating professionals and in particular, manufacturers, would participate in public blogs and forums such as this. There is really only so much expertise recreational boaters have in technical subjects and I feel I can help.

Thanks for pointing me to the note you've got on commercialism - I fully agree with it. If I've got a brief article I've written on my blog someone asks about here, I'll copy and paste it but there's a number of articles I've written that are simply too large, have videos and pictures, etc. and not appropriate here. It's only natural for me to refer to various references and I have several times, today, here. If I've published a significant article that's not appropriate here that someone specifically asks for, I'll mention it but that's a rarity - I reference whatever I'm answering in chat, blog, etc. and the most interesting materials generally come from manufacturers. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm looking forward to being a great part of sailnet and enjoying the people I'm meeting.

I'm happy to learn the ins and outs of etiquette here and am not proud, so please let me know if I've inadvertently stepped on anyone's toes. Thanks!

Cheers!
- Jerr

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #107 of 284 Old 11-12-2009
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 3,386
Thanks: 10
Thanked 91 Times in 81 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Anyone near Norfolk, VA?

I am traveling to Virginia over Thanksgiving. We're considering a side trip (several hours) to Norfolk to look at a boat there. Is there anyone in the Norfolk area who might be willing to preview the boat for me and see if it is worth it?
TakeFive is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #108 of 284 Old 11-30-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 300
Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Seward, Alaska

[/SIGPIC]Dave
Sailing out of Seward, Alaska

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
dave6330 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #109 of 284 Old 12-04-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Is anyone interesyed in covering the Port Huron, MI area? I'm interested in a Cal 39 there. Also interested in boats in Hollywood, Melbourne and Clearwater, FL. I recently looked at a Pearson 36 a few hours from me and found a lot of undisclosed problems....significant water intrusion/rot throughout and a bilge full of thick oil with a stream leading from the engine....lol, hate spend the money to fly around the country only to find the same thing. Aren't brokers supposed to disclose any known problems like they must with real estate? I'm certainly not even close to being an expert, but I will look at boats in Maine.
pinkpanther is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #110 of 284 Old 12-08-2009
Catalina 25
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Milwaukee Area Catalina 25

Hi all,
I just joined sailnet with the hopes of finding something exactly like this and some info on the Catalina 25! I have come across a 1982 Catalina 25 in the Milwaukee, WI area and am wondering if anyone has the inclination to take a look? If not, no worries, just thought I'd ask. Thanks!
jjrunning is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New name (I know, I know) owlmtn Boat Review and Purchase Forum 13 12-13-2009 07:46 PM
Sugestion for a first boat Cruiser and Racer? dumbguy Boat Review and Purchase Forum 57 07-06-2009 12:07 PM
What can you tell from the numbers? brazilnut Boat Review and Purchase Forum 10 07-01-2009 04:09 PM
The Balance of Hull and Sails Steve Colgate Buying a Boat Articles 0 05-25-2000 08:00 PM
How to Choose the Right Boat Don Casey Cruising Articles 0 04-20-1999 08:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome