SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Local boat buying assistance

154K views 293 replies 214 participants last post by  serpa4 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of us are shopping for boats far & wide. It would be nice to get a preliminary idea of a particular boats condition before spending time & money to go see that boat.
This thread can be a resource for 'remote eyes'. I propose that those that are willing to take a peek at a boat for sale put your location here. This would not constitute a survey or recomendation or anything more than one persons opinion.

PLEASE keep these posts short & direct to the locations offered and perhaps time of year. Do not clog this thread with various opinions on a boat visited or other stuff.

Any inquiries for help should be made by Private Message only, off line. Keep the communications private.

Comments regarding findings should only be shared on a separate thread and only with the agreement of both sailnetters.

Brokers, please refrain from joining in here. This is for independent evaluations.

Thanks.

EDIT: NOTE...THIS SERVICE IS PROVIDED AS A FREE ASSISTANCE BY SAILNET MEMBERS FOR SAILNET MEMBERS. ALL FINDING ARE SIMPLY OPINIONS AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS PROFESSIONAL EVALUATIONS OR RELIED UPON FOR ULTIMATE PURCHASE DECISIONS. THIS IS MERELY A HELPFUL SERVICE IN THE SPIRIT OF SAILORS HELPING OTHER SAILORS!

See less See more
#261 · (Edited)
I am looking at a Cheoy lee 36 and a Pearson 32 the cheoy lee has been out of water for 6 years and slightly neglected but in my eyes workable. My significant other wants a neater and newer looking boat. I want to love the boat I get. THe cheoy lee will need a seasons work to make her look neat and good. Both are in the same price range and I can buy today if I want. I am in the south shore of Massachusetts area.

#262 ·
I'm in the Atlanta, GA area, up in the northeast right by Lake Lanier and not that far from Lake Hartwell in SC, so if anybody is looking at anything in this neck of the woods I'll be happy to lend a hand and some time. I could also swing Lake Allatoona on the other side of Atlanta, if anybody really wants to sail over there! ;)

Just keep in mind I'm a relative newbie just searching for my own first boat now, so I'm hardly one to offer any expert opinions. I am a professional photographer however, so I can promise to come back with good photos for you at the very least!

#263 ·
ok
So I ended up picking up a 1980 Pearson 32 I opted out of the cheoy lee due to work needed.
I have now owned a laser,Catalina 14, Macgregor 21,alberg 23,cal 25,and Now the pearson 32.
I am looking for any info on the P32
looking for.
Any owner manual info. Brochures, engine info I am seeing what amounts to 11hp diesel but in different boast I see higher HP's. IT is hull # 36
Is there a designation in the HIN#.

Any help appreciated sailing out of buzzards bay, MA

#271 ·
I am looking at an SJ24, $4600 Crown 23 $3000 and a Tanzer 22 $3000 in the next few days, I am on Vancouver Island. The boats are in Ladysmith, Nanaimo and Courtenay respectively.
I have sailed on many larger boats as a kid in the Bahamas, as a guest. I lived on Andros from 10 to 15 yrs old. As well as the local traditional local sloops and we had use of a Sunfish from the hotel.
I have a Prindle 16, Chrysler Pirateer 13 and a home built Opti/Sabot with a bowsprit running 56 sqft of a Delta wing hang glider for power...what can I say, use what ya got.
All of which I have 2 seasons sailing on.
So... a little knowledge is more dangerous than none...lol
I intend to daysail/weekend with my wife, who is a total lubber in the Campbell River area. For now, we will be fair weather sailors, running for shore/bays/marinas when she blows.
Ok, any comments/suggestions on the 3 candidates in our list?
Thanks
Steve

#275 ·
Re: Montreal Area

Hanmo,

The purpose, at least as stated in the OP, is for people to volunteer locations that they are willing cover. People looking for assistance need to search through the thread, and if they find someone who has volunteered for the area where the boat is, contact them directly.

Best of luck!

#278 ·
I can cover San Diego to Newport Beach

I live in Oceanside and work in Newport Beach and am often in San Diego to work on my boat. I am always up to kick the tires for someone if they are interested in a boat in the Socal area. I know enough to rule out and save you the cost of a survey or the effort of coming to look at a lemon. I also have a professional quality camera so can forward good images of the boat.

#280 ·
Hello James -

You should review some boat inspection tips prior to visiting your prospective boat. This could include this write-up:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48177-boat-inspection-trip-tips.html

It would help to have an experienced boat owner along. However, you need to get a professional survey for a purchase this big. Frankly, if you can't afford a survey, you will not be able to afford a sailboat. Furthermore, if you are going to get insurance for the boat (may be required by marinas), then you may be required to have a survey. Anyway, that is my $.02. Good luck with your purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.