Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2002

webdeziner1 is on a distinguished road
can we do it?

I believe it''s possible to buy a $10,000 boat for my fiance and I to live on. We don''t want to sail aaround the world. Mostly the keys possibly at a later date the Bahamas. Main idea is to own a boat and liveaboard. I certainly know that the money I pay to rent(apartment) would be better off towards boat ownership and a great time. I can deal with small spaces and a lot of hard work. Am I totally insane? He thinks so I think not! Hey our apartments now are the size of tin cans. If anyone has the time please let me know what you think should be my major concerns and what should be my minor. Keep in mind I do want to sail. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Catalinas, Bucaneers and tartans seem to have a lot of living space and sail ability. Be kind it''s my life long dream.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2002
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
can we do it?

You might be able to find a boat in your price range, but it will probably need some Labor and more $$ put into it. I purchased a C&C 30 for a little more than 10K. It surveyed well, but I have already sunk several hundred $ into it, with several hundred more to go!! I could probably manage to live on this boat (alone) but it would be tight.

The bottom line is you have to have spend a lot of time looking for that perfect deal. It took me 2 years to find this boat, but it was worth the wait.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2002

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
can we do it?

Given enough time, you should be able to find a boat for about $10k, but you''ll likely need a few $k more to get it into decent shape. Also, the living space needed for two depends on how good you are at being minimalists. (If you''ve ever seen a Frank Lloyd house, you''ll understand the meaning of "minimalist".)

I am by no means an expert (having just bought our first sailboat last month), but based on my search, I think you should focus on boats with rather large cabins. For $10k or so, that will likely be a beamy (12'' or so) boat, 30 to 35'' in length, and about 20+ years old. You''ll likely find more wood than fiberglass boats which fit these criteria within the price range you mentioned. As a general rule, wooden boats require lots more maintenance than fiberglass boats. However, if you don''t mind the upkeep (and extra expense), you may be able to find a classic wood boat that may be able to sail wherever your bank account allows you to go.

Happy sails to you. ~ _/) ~
Old 04-23-2002

sailor582002 is on a distinguished road
can we do it?

I can certainly understand "the dream" as can many of us. Try to be realistic though as there are no free and few cheap lunches available.
You''re asking a tough personal question for someone unknowledgable into your personal situation to answer. However, I will try to give you the benefit of my experience. I have been sailing up/down the ICW and coastal east coast for 25 years and am constantly amazed at what I see people sailing/living on. By that, I mean I have seen one couple with small child living/sailing a 24'' boat with ragged sails and questionable old outboard engine heading for the Bahamas, they were happy as one could imagine and I have no idea if they made it or not but I certainly hope they did. Ask yourself what you are willing to live without and under what conditions you are willing to live with. Some people apparently require a 55 foot Oyster at $1.5M while others can make a 22 foot $5K boat work for them. Keep in mind that boats require maintenance, replacement parts and upkeep all of which will require incremental cash outlay so calculate that in your cruising kitty. I have also seen "shoestring" situations where a couple were stranded in their "budget boat" because they didn''t have required cash to pay for required repairs. Yet another instance, 30 ft Pearson was grounded along the coast, rudder stock bent, he walked away from the boat and left it to the salvor to pay for the salvors fees. My friend bought it for $12K.
When you say "livaboard" do you mean permanently and long term? For $10K the boat is going to be old, small, generally require allot of work, 30 ft or under. While 30 ft seems big to someone with a 20 foot boat, it''s very small for a livaboard, personal space is virtually non-existant which tends to amplify the smallest of personal conflicts. Storage space is extremely limited so minimilist is the word of the day. I have a 38 ft boat which I have lived on solo and found it adequate. Another thing is where you plan to live on this boat. Maine not very likely for comfort, further south the better with NJ (personal preference due to cold) being the furtherest north to consider on a small boat. There are a multitude of conditions you have to consider, one of which and not often thought of is in the winter condensation (breathing, cooking etc) inside the cabin can litterally create a rain forest if the boat is not well insulated. I would not dare to condemn your dream but would suggest that you enter into it with some education, logic, research and planning rather than to romanticize "the good life". There are texts available on living aboard that provides some valuable insite on succesful liveaboard.
Can you do it? Yes, you certainly can, $10K might be a stretch but doable, $40-50K more realistic. Shop, Shop, Shop and compare, compare, compare. Prices on boats are "asking" (or should I say "wishing") and not "selling" price. Negotiation is the key.
Best of luck, live your dream, let us know how you fare.
Old 04-23-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
can we do it?

What an interesting question!

I have one of my own for you. Could you and your fiance live in a tent for a month on vacation? If the answer is yes then you could probably manage well in a sailboat as it is basically camping. We spend every weekend ona 26 foot boat with two children (ages 8 & 10) and two adults from June thru Sept.

Also keep in mind a few simple expenses.
1. The cost of a finger pier or dock.
2. My father''s old adage: If he had a $100,000 motorhome or boat he always expected to pay 10% per year in upgrade/maintenance expenses. This on top of marina fees, insurance, etc... You will be spending at least $1000 per year upgrading an old boat when it is already in good condition.

Happy camping and enjoy the dream!

Mike
Old 11-20-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
No...the problem is that this thread is 4 years old since the last reply!
Old 11-20-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... Thanks for that Cam... Too funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.