Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007

Daedalus is on a distinguished road
Islander 36

I'm looking into a 1973 Islander 36. My dad had hull #6 so I do love this venerable vessel. Still, I'm worried about her age. The asking price is just shy of $35,000. Is this a fair price for the ol' girl? What can I expect in the way of upkeep and/or resale value? And why are Islander 36's so pricey? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The 3 1973 I36s listed on Yachtworld currently list from $29K to $36K, so you're at the high end of the range of asking prices....

I've always thought these were pretty, solid boats with a good following. I have, however, seen a number of them that suffer from fairly severe osmosis/blistering. So that's something to keep an eye out for.

Depending where you live, getting a 36 foot boat in the $30K range is not too bad, depending, of course, on the condition of the boat itself.
Old 11-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to sailnet. The asking price seems a bit high... but you generally don't pay anywhere near the asking price. I highly recommend you get a survey of the boat, as well as engine and rigging surveys, if you're serious about the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-15-2007

Daedalus is on a distinguished road
Thanks! I'll keep this in mind when I go see it this weekend.
Old 11-15-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
FWIW, one of the Baja HaHa boats called in during the first half of the trip with a leaky keel bolt, despite the fact that four new ones (interspread between the oldies) had just been installed recently. They said they were sucking up water at a gallon a minute, but they made it to Cabo fine.
Not sure what that all means, but it could be one more goody to look at before signing your name........

RB
Old 11-15-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I'm looking into a 1973 Islander 36. My dad had hull #6 so I do love this venerable vessel. Still, I'm worried about her age. The asking price is just shy of $35,000. Is this a fair price for the ol' girl? What can I expect in the way of upkeep and/or resale value? And why are Islander 36's so pricey? Thanks.
Hello,

Considering the age of the boat, the price could be way too high or way too low. Are the sails new or old? Has the boat been painted recently or has original gal coat? Original engine, transmission, stuffing box and prop haft, or all new? Are there new electronics or old electronics? What is the interior like, original, moldy, worn out cushions, or new cushions and interior wood?

Answer some of those questions, and we can get a better idea on the price.

Barry