Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Question Soal Draft (No Engine)

Shoal Draft question
I found this thread:
looking for a liveaboard and this post by sailandor
Imagine a home that can slip up a creek like a big kayak and can be left almost anywhere. Consider: Shannon shoal sailer, Westerly bilge keel model, Gemini cat, Wharram Cat, Reuel Parker sharpie design, etc, etc.

I just read sailandor’s and Pardee’s books and I really like the idea, if not the reality, and the challenge of sailing without an engine. I just spent this past summer on a Catalina 27 in CT with an inboard and lived aboard a 22’ O’Day in the Keys about 25 years ago with an outboard. The O’Day only drew 23” and I remember loving the shoal draft.
So the question is what boat models are available for costal cruising max 30’ probably about 28’or less if an oar will really be viable. Shoal draft and comfortable for two people for one to six weeks and, 20k or less.
The models mentioned above seem to be very expensive.

Last edited by davidpm; 11-16-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
David-

suggest you read thomas firth jones's multihull voyaging, john vigor's 20 small sailboats to take you anywhere and jerry cardwell's sailing big on a small sailboat.

Many of the smaller catamarans are very shallow draft and reasonably affordable. Ones you might want to look at include the Wharram catamarans, the Heavenly Twins 27, the Catalac 8M, the Iroquois, and the older Geminis. These will give you far more room than a monohull of the same size, especially a shoal draft monohull. A budget of $20,000 is a bit low for any boat that is going to be capable of cruising for up to six weeks with two people, unless you're really to camp on water. There's cruising, and then there's camping on a sailboat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-16-2007

Camping is fine. The six weeks is more fantasy than reality. Two three days is more realistic.
I have the Vigor book but if I remember right most were deep water. I'll re-read it.
I just ordered the other books.

Last edited by davidpm; 11-16-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2007
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
David

I would agree with Saildog's response to your original post, however your revised post seems to be more oriented towards day sailing with an occasional weekend getaway. Heck, you'd be happy with just about anything in the 25' to 28' range.

I would imagine any boatyard in CT is going to have lots of boats for sale at this time of the year. It may be time to spend some Saturdays walking through them to see what's available, and what condition they're in.

As for Catamarans... lots more room for LOA, but you are correct in that the boats tend to be out of your stated price range. I love my Catalac and having sailed a catamaran for a few years now, would not consider owning a monohull.

The Cat is just perfectly matched to my cruising area.
Old 11-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickm505 View Post
David
I love my Catalac and having sailed a catamaran for a few years now, would not consider owning a monohull.

The Cat is just perfectly matched to my cruising area.
Which model do you have and why do you like it so much?
Old 11-17-2007
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
I sail a Catalac 8M. It's 27' LOA and 26' at the water line. More importantly, it fits into a standard size slip at 13' 8" wide. It's also the smallest cruising catamaran I could find. By cruising catamaran, I mean just that. Large water tanks, engine driven refrigeration/freezer, twin inboard diesels and great load carrying capacity because of it's hull design. My boat was sailed to the USA from England.

The Catalac is an older British designed boat, not known for performance, but almost all that were manufactured are still sailing today, which says a lot for the build quality. Catalacs are well thought of and featured in a couple of Charles Kanter's books on multihulls. A 12 meter Catalac survived the famous Queens Birthday storm in '94, a fact which helped put cruising catamarans on cruisers' 'radar' as so many monohulls were lost or dismasted in that storm. If 90 foot breaking seas in a typhoon couldn't knock one over, nothing probably would.

Newer Catamarans are larger and are sort of looking more like condos. Very nice I may add, but larger than I required (just me and the admiral).

I think if you follow the link below, my website pretty much covers all of it's virtues and I don't have to continue sounding like a commercial, or start a mono / catamaran debate.

By the way, what part of CT are you in? I'm a Connecticut native who moved to the sunshine state many years ago. One more thing.... ask any guy about his boat, and responses will be similar (grin).

Last edited by Rickm505; 11-17-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.