Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
how bad is it?

Hi everyone!
I'm in the market for a trailarable and I found a 1990 catalina capri 16 that seems in good condition other than the fact that has big cracks in the keel.
I have taken a couple of pics to show you guys in hope that someone can tell me how bad is it and if it could be repaired and at what cost.
The boat comes on a trailer of the same vintage which seems in good shape also.
The sails are good and it comes with an outboard that I do not know much about.
The asking price is $1800.
What do you guys think of this cracks? ( I hope the pics are clear; if not I can explain further)

I olmost forgot. The cracks are visible on both sides of the keel and it is a wing keel model. I read somewhere that that the keel in this particular model is made of lead(??) not 100% sure though

Thank you !!!

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
NADA low retail $2590 with no motor or trailer. It looks like the glass is delaminating from the lead interior (or whatever). Could be expensive to have repaired by someone else. Not that bad if you do it. Several f/glass experts over on this forum...http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sea...archid=1105820
Old 11-16-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
PS: You DO know (I hope) that even though it's on a trailer, with a keel that big, I doubt seriously you will be able to launch or retrieve it at any boat ramp.
Old 11-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Personally, I'd pass on this boat. First, it probably needs some serious repairing... second it really isn't a good boat if you need a trailerable boat, since as USCGRet pointed out, in most locations you're going to need a travellift or crane to launch it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-16-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Itís just the faring and not structural. An easy repair requiring very little skill unless you want a racing finish. Any other problems with the glass? Anything on the hull itself would be a concern but not something in this area.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Old 11-16-2007

Thanks USCGRET !
So you don't think this could be some sort damage caused by a bad grounding?
My concern is structural damage. There are no cracks or signs of stress where the keel meets the hull but I've never seen this before.
I didn't look where the keel is attached (inside) to see if anything happened to the bolts.
I'm not affraid of some glass work repair; I've done it before. I just don't want to get more than I can handle.
Will all the glass need to come off all the way to the lead or would you fix it just as you would a cosmetic repair?

As for the asking price: Im in inland Georgia where we have a bad draught problem so I figured it will be a good time to buy a boat.
Old 11-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990 View Post
PS: You DO know (I hope) that even though it's on a trailer, with a keel that big, I doubt seriously you will be able to launch or retrieve it at any boat ramp.
Thanks..... I was not aware of that. I was in the market for a com pac 16 and on my way to a wedding the other day I saw that on the side of the road and I thought I'll research it.

That put's it out of the list.

Thank you all guys you just save me from making a big mistake.
Old 11-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My concern is that the crack extends along the join to the wing part of the keel.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
My concern is that the crack extends along the join to the wing part of the keel.
It does. It was kind of hard to put the camera in a position where I could capture that due to the trailer but the crack does run along the joint with the wing.
Old 11-16-2007

7Psych is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevseasail View Post
It does. It was kind of hard to put the camera in a position where I could capture that due to the trailer but the crack does run along the joint with the wing.
THAT would concern me..........