Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007

apkaplan is on a distinguished road
Smallest boat with 2 staterooms

I sail out of Westbrook CT and am looking to buy a sailboat to live on during the warmer months. I plan to sail quite a bit with overnights, but would like to get a boat with two staterooms. My budget is around 50k, hoping to keep the boat in the 30 foot range. Hunter 290 seems to fit the bill. But curious to know if there are other boats I should be looking at AND is this a reasonable request for a boat.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
apkaplan - 3 boats in the 30-foot range I can think of off-hand are the S2 30-foot center cockpit, the Nor' Sea 27 Aft Cabin, and the Fortune 30. All 3 have aft cabins and I believe are around $50K or under.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 11-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
At such short lengths, sometimes the issue here is the physical dimensions of the crew, the need for a fully-enclosed head, the need for a double berth, etc. One solution that I've seen on the J-105 and on older cruisers is the athwartships head that has two doors: one forward to a modest V-berth and one aft to the saloon. That gives an extra layer of privacy (and a bigger head) to the V-berth, but of course makes the interior look shorter visually, unless you open both doors!
Old 11-19-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Do you need both staterooms to be closed off from the rest of the cabin by a door? Obviously, there's a whole lot of ~30' boats out there with a forward v-berth and and after cabin/berth, but most aft berth areas wouldn't be considered a "stateroom".

You may need to consider a center cockpit design. O'day and Irwin both made a 32' center cockpit. Both models obviously had forward and aft staterooms and are fairly easy to find on the market well under $50k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2007

apkaplan is on a distinguished road
>>Do you need both staterooms to be closed off from the rest of the cabin by a door?

Yes, but I think this might not be feasible. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-19-2007

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
Condo on water

For the money, a Morgan 416 Ketch around 1980 -1982 would be my suggestion. Having owned a 416, my wife and son had plenty of room. Also it was cutter rigged with a roller and head sail on roller. As to night sailing, it was great with red lighting below and an older cathode tube in radar. No problems, just great sailing on the chesapeake.
Good luck
tom
http://landlockedvasailor.blogspot.com
Old 11-21-2007

tlscott is on a distinguished road
An oday 322 or Oday 302 both have aft cabins around 30,000 to start
Old 11-21-2007

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
While it is just my opinion, I would really reconsider wanting 2 staterooms on such a small boat. The more you close off and isolate parts of the cabin, the smaller it becomes. I really like boats where the V-Birth is not enclosed at all such as in this boat here:http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...terior&photo=9
You can then just use curtains to close off each birth for privacy. Doors or not, there really isn't going to be much privacy on a 27-30' boat - space is tight and walls are thin! This is just my opinion however, but I would suggest you at least take a look at boats of similar size with both types of floor plan before making your decision. Best of luck in finding your boat!
Old 11-21-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The o'day32cc has a completely separate aft cabin with double bed athwartships and a v-berth cabin up front. Can be had for 20k or less. There is also a 37cc which is within your budget and has a head in the aft cabin.
Both are fairly ugly boats but with decent performance under sail and lots of living space for their respective size. Here's a pic:
http://album.sailboatowners.com/detail?photo=3994
Old 11-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Two stateroom layouts are pretty rare in boats under 35'. Your choices are going to be severely limited. Just curious as to why you require two staterooms. The best boat buying advice I've ever been given is that "the primary use of a boat is primary." If you're normally going to be sailing as a couple...or by yourself... there really isn't a need for two staterooms...and you'll have a lot more choices in boats. If the reason for the second stateroom is for when you have guests aboard... that will generally be just a minority of the time you use the boat, and makeshift accommodations will make more sense...

If the primary use of the boat is for two people—not a couple—or two couple aboard...then you'll find that a boat under 35' is going to be way too cramped for any extended period of time.

Just my $.02. worth.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.