SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

In-between Coastal &Blue Water cruiser

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·

I''m considering moving up from my Hunter 376 to a 42-43''. Can anyone give me an idea what to look for in a Coastal Cruiser that is a bit sturdier than the Hunter/Catalina type production boat. Comfortable accomodations are important as is a boat easily handled by my wife & I.

#3 ·

i am rather prejudiced, as most boat owners,
i am very comfortable cruising and doin blue water in my tartan 37. It is a very sound fast cruiser that loves blue water.
there are many available at very reasonable prices.
you can see my boat kimberlite at http://kimberlite1.homestead.com.
there are also some shots of her in bermudfa, vince the bartender at the dinghy club, shots offshore and photos in the carib. along with a video of her sailing downwind in a gale.
eric

#4 ·

Someone recently told me that they believe (and were fairly certain) that the Tartans were built by Hunter Marine in the early 80s. Is this true? If it is true then your "Kimberlite" could be a Hunter which would make them "Blue Water" crusiers.

#8 ·

RMF, just how comfortable do you want those accommodations to be? In terms of a nice balance between that and performance, I agree with Jeff''s suggestions. Island Packets and the adjective "peformance" are seldom used in the same sentence but they do make blue passage in comfort, albeit slowly. If my memory serves me correctly Kimberlite, a great Tartan 37 with all the right stuff is for sale.

#10 ·

Hunter never built Tartans at any point in either boat mfr''s history. Tartan built boats originally pioneered by a number of other manufacturers. They built the American Pride 27 and the Soverel line of boats in the 1980''s. There was also a loose connection between C&C and Tartan at one point in the 1980''s that predates the current connection.

Geez'' the stuff you see on the internet! (Denr surely you know better than that.)

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.