SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Precision 27

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  conchcruzer 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with Precision Yachts? A friend is looking at a 1991 Precision 27 listed with Tampa Yacht Sales for $21,900. Lot's of extras and looks to be in good shape, I just can't seem to find much online about the Precision. She is looking to do coastal cruising in the Gulf and Tampa Bay.

Thanks

#2 ·
Well, she certainly looks clean and in good condition in the pictures. Jim Taylor has done some nice designs. The layout is interesting... a bit of a "stack'em, pack'em in" arrangement!

I suspect not too many were built, but IIRC the reviews were pretty good when they came out originally.

Labatt on this board used to own a smaller model - perhaps he can enlighten you on build quality etc. You have over 10 posts so you could PM him.

#3 ·
I agree, a bit tight, but then what do you expect in 27 feet? My 28 foot Sabre has the same problem and I am glad that I was able to get one that sacrificed the quarter berth for a full galley option, it seems to be far more practical for a small vessel.

I would love to contact Labatt for his feedback and will see if I can figure out how the PM thing works.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
I've heard nothing but good things about Precision. In fact, I almost bought a 23 a few years ago. If the boat is sound, you could do much worse.

#6 ·
He did, it worked, and I told him how wonderful the Precision model line is (and how much I loved my P23). I also pointed him to the Precision message board on trailersailor.com where there have been many discussions on the P27 and the P28.

#7 ·
Precision 23

I owned a Precision 23 when I lived in Key Largo. It was great for its shallow draft (trunk keel/centerboard) in a place like the Keys. However, I felt that the boat was very lightly constructed. I never took it offshore and was generally satisfied with the performance in Blackwater Sound where I did most of my daysailing. The 23 had a nice layout for a small boat. I didn't like the carpeted headliner that Precision appears to be using in the 27 as well. While the 27 could sleep a van full of people, I wouldn't want to be one of them with a full house on board.

Cheers,
ConchCruzer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.