SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Targa sailboats (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/3895-targa-sailboats.html)

kms 04-21-2002 11:42 AM

Targa sailboats

Does anyone know of a web site for Targa Sailboats? I believe they are made in Finland.

kulokoo 05-31-2010 11:04 PM

[I know this is an old thread, but better to build some information here on this elusive make of sailboat I think]

I understand Targa only makes power boats now: Home

There is a Targa 101, a center cockpit sloop, advertised for sale in the SF Bay Area. Some brochure pics: Targa 101: Alkuperäisiä esitteitä

And data on the Targa 96 here: TARGA 96 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has sailed these Finnish boats...

C. Coker 06-25-2015 06:18 PM

Re: Targa sailboats

Ran across this thread and thought I'd chime in...I own a 9.6 and have sailed it a lot since I bought it back in 2009. She is a decent sailing boat but can be a little over-powered if you don't reef quick enough. Faster than most people think when they see it on the dock. I have hit around 8 knots in blustery conditions on a reach. Solid 6 knots up wind with my 135% working Genoa. I tend to reel in most Beneteaus, Hunters, and Catalinas I come across on Galveston Bay. I even paced a Jeanneau 41 one afternoon.

Good rating for PHRF if interested in racing; Definitely can sail to the numbers.

The build on these boats was pretty good (not Swan or Hallberg Rassy good, but good). Gelcoat on my '77 is worn out, but has not crazed and cracked like other older boats I have seen.

Mark F 07-01-2015 06:05 PM

Hi C. Coker,

Is the aft cabin accessible from the main salon. Is it a comfortable cabin? Thanks

rogerbsailor 07-20-2015 12:21 AM

Hello, We owned Targa 9.6 Silea. Loved the boat. My wife and I filled in the space between the two bunks in the aft cabin and made into one big very comfortable bed. It's accessible from the cockpit. We sailed circles around larger boats (e.g., Catalina 36, Hunter 34).

boatybill 09-02-2015 06:34 PM

Hi Rodger

WE own Silea now up in San Francisco Bay area we love the boat and was wandering if you know some of the history of her and also was wandering if thee are more of those boats around?

Thanks Bill

rogerbsailor 09-02-2015 08:28 PM

Hi Bill,
Great to hear from you and to hear that Silea is still sailing. We bought her in about 98 from a Channel Islands Harbor broker (Rick who is still there) after previous owner traded her in for a bigger boat. She was named M&M, with a very brightly colored giant M&M on her spinnaker. Since she is Finnish, we gave her a Finnish name. Silea means fast, sleek, smooth. We sailed her to the Channel Islands many times and loved her. We wanted a little bigger boat for more extensive cruising so we reluctantly sold her in '04 to someone from SF Bay area. A delivery skipper took her up there and he said he had a nice trip. With our new boat, we cruised in Mexico for six months, starting with the '06 Baja HaHa.

What kind of sailing are you doing with her? We'd love to see some photos. We could also send you some photos from her previous life with us.

Thanks for getting in touch,
Roger

rogerbsailor 09-02-2015 08:34 PM

Bill,
I meant to mention...
When we went to the boat show at Jack London Square in maybe '03, we went out to the end of the dock and this boat caught our eye. It was a Targa 9.6, and we said, "Wow, that's our boat's sistership." She was doing man overboard drills, being used for a certification class. We were sure shocked.
Roger

jaydoggie 09-09-2015 10:03 PM

Hi Bill, Im over in alameda and have a 9.6 targa, love it! Very well built. Just in the middle of repowering with a beta 20 to the 110 saildrive. Jay

rogerbsailor 09-09-2015 10:48 PM

Hi Jay, Any chance that was the Targa that I mentioned seeing from the boat show at Jack London Square many years ago?
Roger