Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2002

KenD is on a distinguished road
THINKING OF THESE BOATS

STILL LOOKING FOR THAT PERFECT BOAT AND I AM CONSIDERING 27 COMPAC 28 PEARSON 28TO 30 CHEOY LEE OR A FORMOSA OF SAME SIZE OR A CAPE DORY
WILL CRUISE THE BAY AND MAY GO OUTSIDE FOR A LOOK AT REAL OCEAN BUT ONLY A SMALL CHANCE OF THAT! WHAT DO YOU SAILORS THINK WOULD BE THE BEST BOAT TO HAVE SAILING BLISS WITH A BUDGET OF ABOUT 27,000
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
THINKING OF THESE BOATS

Here it comes . . . I''d skip the Taiwan and Hong Kong built boats that haven''t been retrofitted with upgraded tankage, wiring and hardware. I love the joinerwork and wood of the Cheoyosayanashiba series, but often too much can go awry. At your price level, you''ve got a wide range of possibilities. Don''t hesitate to set your sights higher and lowball offers. They can''t shoot you. Educate yourself as to your sailing grounds and overall plan and buy the biggest, most efficient, best equipped, easiest to sail most comfortable boat you can find. And take your time. Often, po'' folk purchases (like mine) are entirely situational. You might not get your ideal, but you can get on the water with a strong boat. As an example, I came close to buying a 50'' boat last year. It was a ketch rigged Hoyt/Herreschoff design. Asking $98,000.00. I looked at it and figgered $25K in upgrades, repairs and refinishes and declined making an offer. They offered it to me for $35K cash. I bailed. All a seller can do is decline. There''s a Wellington beast down here (nothing like what you''re looking at) for sale for around $100K I think. Same deal. What a monster, but it could be had for a lot less by someone who might fall in love with the thing. Water Winnebago....KW
Old 04-22-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
THINKING OF THESE BOATS

I am assuming that you are talking about the Chesapeake Bay. I would say from your list of possible choices that you have not really researched the prevailing conditions on the Chesapeake. The Chesapeake is notorious for its short chop and light air conditions. This favors easily driven boats with low wetted surface and lots of sail area. With the possible exception of the Pearson 28, most of the boat on your list would make very poor choices for the bay (or poking outside for that matter.)

Jeff
Old 04-22-2002

Pangaea is on a distinguished road
THINKING OF THESE BOATS

I third the motion.
Unless you plan to sail the world, don.t buy a boat thats poor in light air for the Chesepeke. You''ll go slow, take forever to get to where your going and might even wind up in a power boat in a couple of years.
How about somthing like a Sabre 28 or a C+C, something like that.
I like heavier boats also but for where you are?...

Dennis
Old 04-22-2002

marsh025 is on a distinguished road
THINKING OF THESE BOATS

Hello, Can anyone give me some info on the Lancer 27''(1984) boats? I plan to do florida coastal cruising and some living aboard. Are these good boats? Do they handle well? Is it a good beginner boat? I do not need speed. Just a solid sailer.

Marsh025
Old 04-22-2002

THINKING OF THESE BOATS

So what boats do you recommend for the Chesapeake Bay? Hunter?
Old 04-22-2002

Pangaea is on a distinguished road
THINKING OF THESE BOATS

KenD,
You could ...but mabey a C+C 27or a Cal 27 or a Newport 28, Lancer 28,Tartan 28 or 30 a Gulf 27 or Gulf 27 pilot house.
Pearson 28 or 30 how about a Dufour 28 or Dufour Arpege 30 or a Catalina 27 or 30 and alot more.

Dennis
Old 04-23-2002
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
THINKING OF THESE BOATS

Ken, If you like the pearsons or cape dory''s or compac''s, get one...In my opinion the Cape Dory''s are beautiful boats, they don''t accelerate fast or turn quickly but a good sailor can sail them in light or strong wind...
Old 04-23-2002

THINKING OF THESE BOATS

thanks for the input I really like a heavy boat is it beyond hope that I can find a boat with opening ports and hatches traditional lines wheel steering, not a racer but not a slug either. cosmetics I can take care of , but I really hate it when you step aboard and the boat heels ten degrees and though I''ve owned the H word before I really dislike having to cover my mouth and slur my speech and maybe pretend to sneeze when replying to the question of what type of boat do you own.
Old 04-25-2002

JIO is on a distinguished road
THINKING OF THESE BOATS

Ken:

If you like the traditional look of the Cape Dory, also check out a Sea Sprite. Very similar lines to the Cape Dory, but in my opinion, a prettier boat. It has bronze opening ports, teak toe rail, teak dorade boxes, etc. It is a modified full keel design and is a heavy boat, all things you appear to be looking for. The boats were made by CE Ryder in the early to mid eighties. They made a 28 and a 30. The 30''s are all wheel steering, and I think the 28''s were either wheel or tiller.

Good luck.