SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

If you like Multihulls...

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I recently found out that the company that makes my trimaran is looking to sell several of the prototypes of my boat, the Telstar 28. If you're interested in getting a 28' trimaran for a pretty good price, you might want to look here.

If you have questions about the boats, you can PM me...

BTW, I do not work for the company... just a pretty happy customer of theirs.

#2 ·
Isn't every boat manufacturer out there trying to sell a few boats at a good price ??? Does this become news when a multihull company does it ??? Is that because they rarely sell boats or is it because there are so few that have not sunk within the first fifteen minutes of launch ??? ;) Just curious ....

:) :) :) :) :)

#5 ·
The only reason I posted the link is I know many of you want to buy a trimaran like mine, but can't afford it otherwise. ;) Come over to the dark side...and learn to run down 35-40' boats in a 28' boat...and leave them in your wake.... learn the joys of sailing in 3' of water, where most other boats can't even go. :D

The Telstar 28 is a relatively new boat, and very few are on the used boat market, and not everyone can afford to buy one new. :D So this is a good way to help out the company and fellow sailors who might want one.

#8 ·
The only reason I posted the link is I know many of you want to buy a trimaran like mine, but can't afford it otherwise. ;) Come over to the dark side...and learn to run down 35-40' boats in a 28' boat...and leave them in your wake.... learn the joys of sailing in 3' of water, where most other boats can't even go. :D
Did you copy that from the macgregor brochure???;)

#6 ·
I was aboard that hull #300 right after they splashed it. Even as a prototype, it was impressive. $10K !!?? Too bad I'm not in the market. Some recent college grad that can live without amenities is going to scoop that one up....

#7 ·
One of the prototypes has wheel steering... which looks really bizarre to me. :D

#10 ·
Hi SD,
I got an email from Will Hershfeld saying that that was an ad from about a year ago and that all the boats they intended to sell then had already been sold. So, unfortunately, I'm a day (year) late and a dime (10K) short.
The only lingering thought in my mind now is: "Where's Barney?" (For those who haven't clicked on the link, Barney is/was hull number 300- the prototype for the Telstar 28.....which also makes me wonder, "Why not hull #1?")

#11 · (Edited)
Oh well, that's too bad...

The reason the hull numbers for the Telstar 28 start at 300, is that they built about 300 of the older Telstar 26, which was a British-built boat that was the earlier trimaran design by Tony Smith, the designer of the Gemini and Telstar 28. The Telstar 26 has made several trans-Atlantic passages.

There was also a Telstar 35, but only a few of them were made. The Telstar 35 was a non-folding design.

Finally, there are actually several versions of the Telstar 28. There is the original version, which I have, and a slightly newer version which came out a few months ago. The newer version's primary difference is a longer centerboard than the original version. The draft on the old one was 4' 3", the new one is 5' or so. Also, both boats were available with a standard and a "tall" rig. The tall rig version had a 37' 6" mast versus the 35' 6" standard mast. Also, IIRC, the gooseneck for the boom on the tall rig version was about 6" lower, giving you a fair bit more sail area.

#13 ·
Will do GCS... always happy to help people come over to the dark side of sailing level... and fast. :D

#14 ·
PCI didn't use Hull #1 for Gemini's either which is why they say they have launched 'around' 1000 (just splashed hull 1010 I think), I believe they started at 100 for the Gemini 3000, then the 3200, the 3400 and now the 105 series (105, 105DL, 105m, 105mC).

I think it's all about marketing and numbers..

BTW, I pass 40+ footer lead draggers on a regular basis.

Too bad those are sold, 10k for a not to old Telstar would be unbeatable.

#16 ·
The cabin layout is pretty straight foward. What you see in the PCI photos is pretty much what you get. When you come down the companionway from the cockpit, there is a large storage area under the cockpit, Starboard of the companionway is a navigation console. Port of the companionway is a galley, with sink, stove and in the case of my boat a small Engel refrigerator. On some of the newer boats, they have a larger refrigerator under the companionway steps—mine has a storage locker there. As you go forward, there are settees to the port and starboard sides to the forward bulkhead. Between the two settees is a salon table, which folds and is supported by a leg going down to the centerboard case and the compression post for the mast. Along the port side of the centerboard trunk is a raised section of cabin sole, which contains the built-in fresh water tank.

Forward of bulkhead is a hinged lid that covers the head. There is a narrow forepeak storage area. Due to the narrow aspect ratio of the trimaran center hull (8:1) there is no real v-berth. To the starboard side, just aft of the head is a small sink with some storage. To the port side is a storage cubby. In the head compartment you will also see the aft end of the retractable bow sprit. The head can be closed off from the main cabin by a curtain.

In terms of usable cabin space, the Telstar 28 has a very small cabin. I've seen 25' boats with more cabin space... and this is mainly due to the fact that it is a trailerable trimaran. There is no stowage under the settees, and the bilge is all of three inches deep.

My boat has a good deal more in cabin stowage since I have the only Telstar 28 with a full bridge deck. The bridge deck added about four-and-a-half cubic feet of stowage by the companionway.

There is a fair amount of stowage in the amas. Also, if the amas are extended, you can stow things like the dinghy on them.

Basically, the advertising for the Telstar says it can sleep five... which is technically true...but very unrealistic. Realistically, you can sleep two or three people. The area under the cockpit could be used as a berth, but I've used it for stowage and the house battery bank is also located there. The area under the forepeak could be used as a berth, but most people I know are using it as stowage as well. The starboard settee can be expanded into a small double, the port side settee can be used as a single.

I hope this helps. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.