SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   It's Time for me to move aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/39081-its-time-me-move-aboard.html)

Melrna 12-07-2007 05:18 PM

It's Time for me to move aboard

Time to make the big decision and finally put my dream together. I just got promote to 737 Capt at work and moving from NJ to Miami sometime next year. I am getting the house ready to sell and put on the market by Feb. I have to go Dallas for 5 weeks of training sometime next year ( I hope they have enough bananas to train this monkey). So after 3 years of heavy research, sailing various boats and attending seminars it is time to find my dream boat. My top choices are Valiant 42 CE, Cabo Rico 38, Caliber 40LRC and Passport 40/41(no teak deck). I have two brokers who I trust (as much as they can be trusted) start to thin out those that are on the market and those secret boats that never see yatchworld. Now If the planets and stars line-up this dream might come true and the nightmare of boat ownership/liveaboard might come true.
If anyone hears about a secrect boat that might come up for sale PM me.
Melissa

sailortjk1 12-07-2007 05:28 PM

Isn't Labbatt's Passport for sale?
Congrats on the Promotion and good luck in your search.

sailingdog 12-07-2007 05:31 PM

One of the posters on Sailinet has Passport 40 for sale. :D Congratulations and good luck.

Cruisingdad 12-07-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrna (Post 234296)
Time to make the big decision and finally put my dream together. I just got promote to 737 Capt at work and moving from NJ to Miami sometime next year. I am getting the house ready to sell and put on the market by Feb. I have to go Dallas for 5 weeks of training sometime next year ( I hope they have enough bananas to train this monkey). So after 3 years of heavy research, sailing various boats and attending seminars it is time to find my dream boat. My top choices are Valiant 42 CE, Cabo Rico 38, Caliber 40LRC and Passport 40/41(no teak deck). I have two brokers who I trust (as much as they can be trusted) start to thin out those that are on the market and those secret boats that never see yatchworld. Now If the planets and stars line-up this dream might come true and the nightmare of boat ownership/liveaboard might come true.
Melissa

Melissa,

I wish you the best of luck. HOWEVER:

Where are you going to Live aboard?? If SE Florida, you better start calling right now to get on the 2 year waiting list at $20/foot.

A little sarcastic... not much. There have been a lot of threads on this. Not many LA marinas left down there.

- CD

PS Oh yeah, and Caliber or Passport...

teshannon 12-07-2007 06:05 PM

Best of luck on your new adventure. I almost bought a Cabo Rico 38 and although I love the boat, in my opinion it has a serious lack of storage for a live on board. I'm only familiar with the Passport 40 on your list and it would suit your purposes just fine, a good solid boat with lots of storage space.

sailhog 12-07-2007 06:13 PM

Melrna,
You don't even know how to fly a 737. How are you going to sail a boat?

Slooptattoo 12-07-2007 06:16 PM

Dockage in Miami

If you are going to have an actual Miami address (within corporate limits) you can get on the primary list at Coconut Grove Marina (city owned). Call ASAP, second choice is Crandon Park Marina, Key Biscayne. Third Choice for liveaboard would be Rickenbacker Marina on Virginia Key (next to Key Biscayne). Sunset Harbor in Miami Beach may be the easiet to get into as a liveaboard. If you can handle living in Fort Lauderdale (better day sailing in Miami on Biscayne Bay) there is ample dockage for liveaboards starting at around $700 and working on up to ridiculous. You can get nice liveaboard dockage for around $8-$900 without a problem, depending upon what you need. If you need details PM me and I'll give you listings and sources for dockage. Good luck. Whatever choice you make, work on your dockage now. Fair Winds!

Melrna 12-08-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailhog (Post 234329)
Melrna,
You don't even know how to fly a 737. How are you going to sail a boat?

Sailhog, I fly like I sail. I close my eyes and use the "Force"!:D

Thanks for all the suggestions on the marina's. I have already started. The word I have is there is high turnover in the dock space and during the hurricane season docks are easy to come by and they are yours for the rest of year. There are a few marina's that are hurricane holes and that is what I want.

codmander 12-08-2007 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrna (Post 234296)
Melissa

Real estae market stinks right now I was gonna list here but better off renting untill this crapola market turns ((vote demacratic)) good luck livin aboard

Slooptattoo 12-08-2007 10:47 AM

Hurricane Holes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrna (Post 234466)
Sailhog, I fly like I sail. I close my eyes and use the "Force"!:D

Thanks for all the suggestions on the marina's. I have already started. The word I have is there is high turnover in the dock space and during the hurricane season docks are easy to come by and they are yours for the rest of year. There are a few marina's that are hurricane holes and that is what I want.

You need to re check your source about dockage being easy to get during hurricane season. Not quite how it works in So. Fla. There are NO hurricane holes in south Fla. Most smart boats head up the Miami River or the New River in Fort Lauderdale, to get as far inland as possible. That dockage has to be arranged in advance and paid for, regardless if you use it or not. You buy the space and it's yours once we go to "watch" until the end of that particular storm, one storm or ten, but it's only temp dockage during the storm. You may want to come down on a jump seat and speak to dockmasters and property owners prior to your coming down. Good luck!