Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
What do you think of this...

Alex had a thread on the boat you'd buy if you had a little more money -- not a lot more, but a little more -- and it went to hell in a handbasket when everyone began posting superyachts. Anyway, what does the learned panel think of this 38' Shannon ketch?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1572&url=
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Well, this is a little more money than you were looking at before on the C36, isn't it?

Doubtless a better bluewater boat, the Shannons have a good reputation. A lot of exterior wood (= more upkeep) and limited berths would be negatives, I'd think, in your situation... (several daughters that will want to bring friends when they are in their teens and you want to take them away for 3 weeks or more)

Great look, possibly not so enjoyable to sail when you're still in your weekender/short cruise mode... the mizzen a)chops up the cockpit a bit, but b) provides some security and handholds at the same time.

Is this drool time or are you giving this one serious thought?
Old 12-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I've been on the sistership, spoken with Shultz and viewed the builder's sales office/factory. I was instantly sold on this boat . . . but bought True Blue instead, for just a wee-bit less.

Great boat, not sure if it's right for a cruising family of you and three fems though.
Old 12-09-2007

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
Beutiful boat! At what seems to be a fair price. I've lusted after Shanon's for a while now and everthing I've learned about them only makes me like them more. Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
/this one looks prettier and a better price. Too bad pictures don't tell the whole story

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1472&url=
Old 12-09-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Sailhog - Sounds like others are familiar with your plans, but I'm not. What are your plans for this boat? Coastal family cruising? Offshore passages?

I personally love Shannons, and the 38 is a beauty. Although I like the esthetics of a ketch, I'm not into the extra sails and gear. I'd personally stick with a sloop or cutter rig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Shannon's have a pretty good rep from what I've read but I do remember reading an owner's comments that they were a bit of a wet ride.

I've no great love of ketches under 40' but that's neither here nor there.

Somewhat ambivalent towards bowsprits.

V-berth looks a bit cramped for an old codger like me.

I do prefer hatch covers that let in some light.

She looks well equipped, self tacking staysail is a nice touch. Decks look fairly clean and orderly. Gear looks to be in good order and of quite acceptable quality.

I like the timber accents on deck and the cockpit coaming. Yes a bit of work but it could be a lot worse. Timber interior appears to be a comparatively light colour which is good, hate the fake timber laminex in the galley but the galley itself looks nicely laid out. Upholstery looks good.

I'd junk the pipe berth for more book shelves but that's just me.

To me she looks like a nice boat for two. Price looks OK but then anything in the US looks good compared to what we have to pay down here.

Don't know what the underwater shape of the Shannon is but I'm presuming full keel with a cutaway forefoot. This is a nice seakindly shape, not as quick or as efficient as a fin/skeg and not fun to try and reverse but should track fairly well.

Actually, on the price front and presuming you can screw 'em done by let's say 10% then in Oz buckazoids thats $125,000. Interesting comparison to the boat I posted the other day which I think I could pick up for around AUD180,000 = USD144,000.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-10-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Learned panel:
Thanks for the thoughtful responses... Last night we met up with some friends and attended the "Harbor Stroll" in Windmill Harbor here on the HHI, where we got to see some nice boats dressed up in Christmas lights, one of which was a Shannon 43' cutter-rigged ketch. It's owned by a 70 yo German and his wife, who are headed for Panama and points south in 1.5 weeks... Apparently they are closer to the $300,000 mark than the $100,000 mark, which causes me to salivate, but not in the same way that it would if it were closer to my price range.

Anyway, last night I broke it to my wife that I'd like us to own between 3-4 boats in our lifetimes (sounds self-centered, but that's only because it is). But she's into it. As TB and Faster suggested, this boat isn't congruous with the plans I've shared with them of going to Fla. and Bahamas in the near future. But I'm trying to think episodically here. Ten or twelve years down the road, once the girls are off to school, it will be time to start thinking differently.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it very much.

Here's one more for you to look at:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=75207&url=

TB and the Matey Wombat might find this interesting.
Old 12-10-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
They are certainly pretty. I particularly like that they do not have teak decks. It seems that almost all of the boats in that range that have interested me have teak decks. Not to start that debate; but in boats in the 15 - 25 yr range it is absolutely a point to ponder.

I agree with the comments about it being a little tight inside; but that is a trade-off when looking at more "offshore capable" boats, isn't it?

very sweet, very "shippy" looking
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 12-10-2007

chrisnewtimes is on a distinguished road
Wow what a nice looking yacht, all I have is the $9500.00 to spend so your just a tad bit ahead of me with the other hundred thou. but she looks worth it
regards Chris