Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007

chrisnewtimes is on a distinguished road
Purchasing a TMI30 (ticon 30) need

other owners/previous owners input if any available before completing the
deal. this one is neglected and very run down, but it looks like some money and some hand labour will bring her back to being a very nice yacht.
Opinions please
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
We have a later model Ticon 30 which had very good build quality and is well outfitted. I'm not sure if the TMI 30's would be the same.

As you've probably noticed, it's very roomy for a 30 footer. It is a very capable coastal / inland cruiser as well. We really enjoy our boat.

It may be impossible for you to find any advice on repairs you need to make that are specific to the boat (compared to, say a Catalina 30). On the other hand, the engine is a Universal Diesel M15, very common, and other components are likewise.

Like any other boat, you have to balance the buying price with the amount of time and money that it will take to bring it to the shape you want it to be.
Old 12-11-2007

chrisnewtimes is on a distinguished road
Ref TMI/Ticon 30, Halsey Herreshoff design seems

well built and overall a nice boat. Thank you for your reply. I have a surveyor getting onboard on Thursday. Perhaps you might have an answer to some questions

Do you know what commodity makes up the deck laminate, balsa or foam core of some kind.

Same question in regards to the upper part of the hull?, or is this just solid glass?

Do you know how the deck to hull flange joint is made up and fastened?

Are you happy with the way the mast is supported, or d you feel some addditinal stays wold be sensible?

I'm hoping that with some really nice sails she will point and perform, her ballast to weight ratio looks very good. How high do you reckon you can point, will she get down to 30 degree and stay steady in the 35-40 area?

What sort of prop do you have? I'm thinking Max to help reversing.

I'm going to be keeping her on Lake Michigan, Muskegon for starters, eventually will probably head south down the islands to my old haunting ground St. Lucia. I get the impression she will make out to be a good sea boat, your opinion?

Hope I'm not being a nuisance and appreciate you input

Thanks Chris
Old 12-11-2007
humble pie rat

well built and overall a nice boat. Thank you for your reply. I have a surveyor getting onboard on Thursday. Perhaps you might have an answer to some questions

Do you know what commodity makes up the deck laminate, balsa or foam core of some kind. Marine Plywood

Same question in regards to the upper part of the hull?, or is this just solid glass? Solid Glass

Do you know how the deck to hull flange joint is made up and fastened? Unknown, but I'll check.

Are you happy with the way the mast is supported, or d you feel some addditinal stays wold be sensible? Mast is keel stepped with upper and lower shrouds, foil / furler forestay, backstay with tensioner. All are sufficiently well built. Sailed this summer on Lake Huron in 25 kt winds with 150 genoa and no reef in main. No mast pumping, undue flexing or anything to suggest any issues. The rig is solid. This boat has done the Port Huron to Makinaw race 5 times.

I'm hoping that with some really nice sails she will point and perform, her ballast to weight ratio looks very good. How high do you reckon you can point, will she get down to 30 degree and stay steady in the 35-40 area?
The fractional rig makes the boat point quite well. My sails are 6 years old but yes, it points like that, low 30's.

What sort of prop do you have? I'm thinking Max to help reversing. We have the original prop, two blades, 12", non-folding. No issues reversing but we don't spend a lot of time going in that direction.

I'm going to be keeping her on Lake Michigan, Muskegon for starters, eventually will probably head south down the islands to my old haunting ground St. Lucia. I get the impression she will make out to be a good sea boat, your opinion? We sail on Lake Huron, no ocean experience. In my opinion, it's much the same hull shape, ballast, etc as a Catalina 30. Nice inland / coastal cruiser, not for open ocean. Again, that's just my opinion.

Hope I'm not being a nuisance and appreciate you input. No trouble Chris. Not many of these around. I'm glad to help. There are a couple of Ticon 30's for sale here if that one doesn't work out for you.

Thanks Chris[/quote]

Last edited by CapnHand; 12-11-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2007
humble pie rat

Have you been here? http://members.tripod.com/sail_ticon/
Old 12-11-2007
humble pie rat

Correction on the deck laminate. The cockpit sole is marine plywood cored. The superstructure is balsa cored.

The hull/deck joint is an inward molded flange on the hull with the deck molding laid over and mechanically and chemically fastened to the hull.
Old 11-18-2014

Morse is on a distinguished road
Re: Purchasing a TMI30 (ticon 30) need

Is this post still active? If yes, I recently purchased a Ticon 30 (1985) and I am seeking information: (1) Has anyone installed a windlass on the Ticon 30 (1985)? If yes, the deck where the windlass has to be installed strong enough or does it need to be reinforced? What's the core in this area of the boat?

(2) Has anyone converted the 2 bunk-over-bunk configuration to a single v-berth?

Thanks,
Raj
Old 01-07-2015

Sailsteady is on a distinguished road

Morse, did you ever find answers to your questions? I have an 85 Ticon as well and would be curious as to what you found out.

Dan
Old 01-07-2015

Morse is on a distinguished road

Hi Dan, Unfortunately I've not received any reply to my questions. I will be at the boat show in Toronto next week and hope to gather some information. Where approx. are you based?
Raj
Old 01-07-2015
Dirt Free

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

The Ticon 30 dpes not have a plywood core in the deck, it is balsa. The hull deck joint is a shoe box flange type joint secured with stainless steel fasteners through the toe rail.

I have serious concerns about surveying a boat in the current temperatures in Indiana.
Take a look at "Surveying Frozen Boats"

I have not surveyed one of these in a couple of years but let me look at my files, I think I can blank out personal info and attach a pdf that will give you an idea of what I found.
Morse (1 Week Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.