Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
Here's commentary from a plastic engineer. At a molecular level plastics are long chains of molecules like ethylene and propylene, thus poly-ethylene, etc. Sort of like a molecular dish of spaghetti. UV radiation breaks these chains and, eventually, returns them to their original state. In polyethylene, for example, this is a gas. In reality it never gets this far but as the chains get shorter the stuff gets weaker. Think the thin plastic webbing on cheap lawn chairs. A couple of years in the sun and they are gone.

There are two ways to minimize this damage, UV absorbers and bulk. UV absorbers "eat" the UV before it gets to the plastic molecule but, eventually, these get used up. Bulk keeps the damage on the surface, with the damaged layer protecting those underneath. That faded stuff is degraded plastic. In theory, a thick poly hull could last for a long time, although it would look bad.

Boat manufacturers aren't going to put any more material in a hull than they need for strength, so there goes bulk. UV absorbers are expensive and there won't be any more than is absolutely necessary. Anyway, they get consumed when doing their job so it's only a matter of time before they stop working.

I'd consider a plastic boat as a disposable item. When it gets old it's used up. I'd call a very faded boat old. Like a rotted wood boat, repair is expensive and impractical. Even worse, with inexpensive plastics, like PE and PP, repair with paint or adhesives isn't even possible. Nothing sticks. It's not for nothing that PP and PE are used for lab ware. Nothing touches them.

How long that takes depends. Only taken out of the garage when used a couple of times a year? Ten years is probably OK. Left out in the sun on a Florida beach? Three years is probably too many. Scratch the surface with your fingernail. If anything comes off, it's way too late. If it's badly faded, it's well on it's way out.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I am sure that the answer to this question very much varies with the materials used, the molding method and the boat's exposure, but I still regularly use a 35 year old polyethelyne Sportyak II dinghy that I have owned for over 25 years and which has spent most of its life stored out in the sun either on my dock or leaned against the wall of my house. Its had pretty hard use and its still in good, but ugly shape (began ugly and has not gotten prettier with age). I can't beleive they still make these things.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook