Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
How long will a polyethylene boat last ?

Hello,

I'm thinking about perhaps purchasing an 8 yr old polyethylene Windrider 16 (just thinking, because I like multihulls but it's not exactly cartoppable - a snark might be more practical in that sense).

Beyond having a trailer sitting in my yard killing the lawn, my other concern is that they're made of polyethylene. What's the expected lifetime of a polyethylene hull? What do you check for to see if it's still in good shape?

Thanks,

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I think sunlight makes it fade and become brittle. I'd ck for deformation on any points of support on the trailer.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2007

chrisnewtimes is on a distinguished road
I wss in the watersports business int the islands for about 5 years,
stay away from the Snark...........very vulnerable to breakage.
Poly will last for long time, look for brittle topsides, give some thought to
a catamaran. Hobie make a great polyprop one. More fun for sailing, car topable just possible, or small trailer would be better.
we had 4 on the beach and everyone loved them
regards
Chris
Old 12-10-2007
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
Do you mean the Hobie Bravo ?

I rented one of those this past summer for a few hours, it was fun. I definitely wouldn't try to put it on top of my car, too heavy for that.

Or is there a smaller lighter Hobie ?

Last edited by LookingForCruiser; 12-10-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2007

chrisnewtimes is on a distinguished road
No I ment the Hobie Wave, I can't post the web site yetbut it's still made, it's polyprop, and very big now in the watersport of the world, so much better than the old Sunfish
Yours Aye
Chris
Old 12-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's the link Chris could not post yet
http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_wave.html

Old 12-11-2007

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
If it is the WindRider Rave (Hydrofoil) and you can get a good price I'd say snap it up! Before someone else does!
I have seen videos on it that make me wish. I believe it came onto market @ 10K new and could beat a speed boat in a good wind. A wet wild ride that is for certain, but it sure looks like fun. As for sun damage, they do not appear to be the type of boat one would leave out in the elements year around but rather garage kept and only used seasonally at least in northern climes. Depends on who the owner is and how much it was used and how well it was kept, ask some questions.
Old 01-23-2009

jcspieker is on a distinguished road
Windrider uses super-linear polyethylene for its products. The result is improvements in impact, stiffness, hardness and heat distortion temperature. Together with a special UV pigment system, the material will not suffer much , if at all, from the radiation of the sun. They also recommend applying 303 Aerospace Protectant (made by 303 Industries, Inc.) to all exterior polyethylene surfaces about every 6 months. The 303 stuff makes the hull shiny and slick. I have a Windrider, and I keep it out of the sun when not in use, but a lot of people kept theirs out in the sun year round and I haven't heard of any issues of hull damage from the sun.
Old 01-23-2009

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
My first sailboat was an Escape. It had a rotomolded hull (thinner than that on the hobie cats). It was a fun little boat, but eventually cracked at one of the seams. I had it plastic welded several times, but it kept cracking. I would be careful with any plastic hull. While they can be repaired, it is just not the same as a fiberglass repair. Generally they are very durable, but once broken they generally are never the same again.
Old 01-23-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
A good friend of mine had a poly kayak, lasted a while. He always kept it covered.
another friend had the same exact kayak fall apart after a few years, but he pretty much left it on the beach all summer.

I bought that kayak for $20usd, then spent three years experimenting to find a satisfactory method of fixing it, NEVER found a way that lasted more than a single 6 hour trip down the Muskegon river

Maybe uv treatments have improved since then, but it's something I'd personally stay away from.

Poly gas tanks on dirt bikes are pretty common, but if they start leaking they are trashed because it is extremely hard to repair them. Nothing seems to stick. Glues fail,(it's made to be slick after all) and since many of the volatiles have been baked out even a scrap from the original material won't 'weld' perfectly to it

Sunshine kills poly, and poly is very hard to repair, so basically, if it's supposed to be a bright color and instead it's a pastel, walk away quickly because everything that makes poly nice has been baked out.

A milk jug will last at most about 2 years in the sun before it crumbles with a touch.

Maybe a paint applied at time of manufacture would increase it's life span.

Ken.

edit: Honesty compels me to say, I do NOT like plastic, (kayak experience, along with a few others) so interpret the preceding with that in mind

Last edited by merc2dogs; 01-23-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.