Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Island Packet Models??

I wonder if someone can give me an explaination of the recent IP models. It sure does look like it meets the needs of what we are looking for in our next boat. Im a little confused...a 1999 IP40 can be had for about $225 but a 2000 42' is about $325..I must be missing something as 2 feet LOA and one year cant equate to 100k an 2001 is $370..150k more for 2 feet and 2 years???? Has there been some major redesign is 2000?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
There was a not-so-recent thread on IPs, full of many opinions and even some facts:

Island Packet Designs

I can't answer your question about the price disparity. Some mods I'm aware of were the addition of swim scoops to the transoms, and the switch from concrete/iron slurry ballast to lead. I don't know the exact dates of those changes, but I seem to recall they were discussed in the thread linked above.
Old 12-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I think you are making a lot of assumptions:
1. "only 2 feet"...the 42 weighs in at 30k vs. 22klbs. ...on a dollars per pound basis from the price on a same year 42 should be 300k if a 40 sellls for 220k

2. "two years" in a recent model boat there is still significant depreciation year to year.

3. There's a 42 with a sale pending at $329 listing price...my guess is it sold for less.

4. Equipment can vary widely and influence the final price of a boat.

5. Condition can vary greatly. My own boat is listed for $100k more than some others of the same model year. It will cost more to fix them than the price difference. You know nothing about a boats' true worth until you have been on it and even then...until a survey you only have a gut feel.

6. You are dealing with a very limited sample and can't draw legitimate conclusions as to real prices. A broker can give you a printout of boats sold in both models and the prices they went for.

7. Some listings are new with owners/brokers hoping to recover all the money hey put into their boats. Other listings are old and reflect the market...(or closer to it since they still haven't sold).
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

tamas52 is on a distinguished road
Island packet

more than gladly help you with all Island Packet question or data on all models I represent Island Packet in the west coast and we have all models , and a lot of history about the line .. it is 28 diffrent models and all ,
terrific people and great product , and they are stand behid there product all the way from the smallest to the big issues..

very unique building process and unparllel resale value , great world cruiser ..

you can contact me at 425 876 9580
Old 12-12-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
tamas52, you should probably state that you're a broker.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks CP...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-12-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamas52 View Post
more than gladly help you with all Island Packet question or data on all models I represent Island Packet in the west coast and we have all models , and a lot of history about the line .. it is 28 diffrent models and all ,
terrific people and great product , and they are stand behid there product all the way from the smallest to the big issues..

very unique building process and unparllel resale value , great world cruiser ..

you can contact me at 425 876 9580
I do not have a problem with you posting this here since in my opinion that is where this person should go.

However, I will also tell the original poster that there are a lot of other boats besides IP and I would be very curious why they have limited their search to IP, if that is indeed the case. If it is indeed just a matter of general curiosity about IP specifically, they should go to IP and talk to them about it. If you want opinions on what other cruisers think about them, this is the better source.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sab30...you should know that Tamas52 is not only a broker but one who is not to be trusted. A month or two ago he tried to switch someones opinion on a Tayana to one of several other boats...without mentioning he was a broker and that he had EACH of the used boats he recommended at his brokerage for sale.
I would not consider his opinions to be motivated by a desire to help YOU.
Old 12-12-2007

sab30 is on a distinguished road
That you so far for the information and thank you for the "broker alert" To shed some light the reason I have begun looking at the IP's are the fact that many people have stated their strength are the same characteristics we are looking for. To this point I havent even been on one but our next boat is about a year and a half off so the search has begun. We are looking for a roomy boat that is more than capable of safe bluewater cruising with very good tankage. To date I have also looked at the Caliber but seems inferior in roominess. Probably no later than a 1999 with min LOA of 38 feet in a $250-300 price range.
Old 12-13-2007
moderate?

Well, the IP's are a reasonable choice for what you propose. They are roomy, have good tankage and have quality construction that is capable of standing up to extended blue water use. They also have a great factory support system & hold their value well. the downside which Jeff_H has detailed here at some length (do a search) is their sailing attributes and motion at sea. Personally I would prefer a Caliber for the sailing qualities but you give up some space and lose the support system. Other choices which meet both your monetary and age of boat requirements and are capable blue water boats in your size range are:
Saga 43 Moody 42 Tayana 42 Tartan4100 Moody 40cc
There are lots of older boats which would be worth looking at but I've tried to honor your requirements.