Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007

wduncan50 is on a distinguished road
Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster?

OK my wife and I are making an offer on a Gulfstar 39 Sailmaster. After looking at several boats over 6 months and weighing the benefits of each we like this choice. The only worries are support and boat information for the GS39 both of which are a bit slim. I do know about the owners forums and 2 GS web sites.

Can any one tell me any reason to walk away from this boat? Any positive comments would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2007

Surely someone has experience with this boat. Any comments?
Old 12-16-2007

bfdtpkt is on a distinguished road
Gulfstars are capable boats, no experience on one but looked at a few while looking for my boat..... ended up getting an ENDEAVOUR which I believe are in the same "class" of boat....
best bet is just get a reputable surveyer lined up and drill him about various boats, good luck!
Old 12-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Do you know about the gulfstar mailing list...accessible here under the "resources" tab?
My own take is that it is a good looking, modestly performing coastal cruiser of standard production quality for the time period.
Old 12-25-2007

camndon is on a distinguished road
GS 39 Info

W-

We bought our GS 39 new in '81 in Puerto Rico and now sail her out of the Seattle area. I have almost only positive things to say about the design and build--but after 26 years, I can help you with most any question you might have, if you're still in the market.

Cam Foster
"Privateer II"
dennymusic likes this.
Old 12-26-2007

We are in the final steps of the purchase, I guess I will join the two GulfStar owners sites so I have access to more information.

What draft is your 39? The one we are buying was listed a 4'9" but at haul out it measured 5' 7".
Old 12-27-2007

camndon is on a distinguished road
W-

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never measured when hauled--will do it this spring. I've always assumed that it's a bit more than the 4'9" advertised--although you do see various numbers listed.

Still interested to know the details about your pending deal. Where will you be sailing?

For your info, there is a great document on 39's put together a couple of years ago by a couple who set out to buy one of the 60 or so that were built. She was able to either see or contact over 40 owners. They bought "Cricket", #58, and sail her out of Tampa. See the doc. on gulfstarownersclub.com site--click on "Fantastic GS 39 collection". There's another place to go for numerous comments on the boat (a couple of mine) if you Google Gulfstar 39 and click on "Boat Model--Gulfstar Sailboats".

Good luck,

Cam Foster
Old 12-28-2007

Thanks for the input, I believe I have seen about everything on the internet about this boat short of joining the other Gulfstar site. We will be sailing out of Halifax Harbor, Daytona Beach, FL for a while getting our skills like we want them and the boat set up, then we plan on cruising for a few years (until the money runs low). We will cruise Florida and up the east coast and over to the Bahamas. Hope to see you on the water.
Old 01-02-2008

kvaavik is on a distinguished road
Hi ... I can't help with the GS39, but I've owned a Gulfstar 37 for many years. All in all it's been a great boat. Assuming there is similarity between the 37 and 39, here's a few things we learned over the years:
- We did develop leaks into the cored deck through the bow cleats and stanchions. We used the West Systems approach, cleared out as much of the wet balsa as possible, and injected resin/filler. That stopped the leaks, until a few years later the next set of stanchions aft started leaking ... same drill.
- The boat (vintage 1977) had a pretty bad blistering problem by the early 1990's. We removed all the gelcoat and the outer layer of glass, ground out any visible blisters/wet spots, and again used the West System approach of a new epoxy barrier coat. The following year a handful of new blisters showed up when we scuff sanded the bottom paint ... we ground those, filled them and sealed with epoxy. Since then (10+ years), no blisters. It was a huge job ... if I had to do it over again I'd leave it to the boatyard.

Other than the above two issues, the only work on the boat has been "normal" maintenance. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

K
Old 08-28-2014

dennymusic is on a distinguished road
Re: GS 39 Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by camndon View Post
W-

We bought our GS 39 new in '81 in Puerto Rico and now sail her out of the Seattle area. I have almost only positive things to say about the design and build--but after 26 years, I can help you with most any question you might have, if you're still in the market.

Cam Foster
"Privateer II"
Hi Cam. I have been trying to contact you but I'm a new member here so I can't send you a PM yet. Maybe we could chat using this old topic. I am EXTREMELY interested in Gulfstar Sailmaster 39's like yours and I have some questions to ask you.

I am looking to buy a boat soon and become a live-aboard again. I was a live-aboard on a Gulfstar 37 in the late 90's. Great boats all around.

I'll type more details when/if I get a reply from you.

Denny.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.